Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2017, 12:47 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times

Advertisements

Boston and Milwaukee (I like both cities) are similar in their very high levels of segregation too.

Old 05-12-2017, 04:55 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Mass seems to be the state where white people seem most likely to see "white" as the status quo, and are caught most off guard by diverse groups of people....whites in Mass. seems to underestimate the large numbers of blacks and latinos in the state until they move to a town that is less than 90% white then all of a sudden the town is "wonderfully diverse" but not 'actually diverse'...
FYI, it's not just a Massachusetts thing.

"White" is the status quo in most states across from America -- from Maine to Washington -- because non-Hispanic whites still constitute a majority of the population in most states across America and in the nation at large.

Last I checked, there were only four majority-minority states: California, Hawaii, New Mexico and Texas.

That's not to mention that, for the first 375+ years of America's history, whites constituted between 80-90% of the country's population.

The two groups of people who tend to lose sight of these facts most often are liberal whites with an anti-white agenda, and minorities who grow up in predominately minority areas (e.g., Los Angeles) and haven't traveled the country much.

Old 05-12-2017, 11:08 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
I would consider it a Massachusetts thing. I know the demography of the US. But the way Massachusetts is set up in terms of income segregation I get the feeling in Mass. when compared to more diverse states to the south that white people feel that when minorities aren't from Boston/Chelsea/Brockton/Lawrence (a place that's historically had many minorities) it's like infringement or encroachment. More so than when I'm in a state that has a higher number of diverse communities like CT or NJ.

NJ NV FL MD GA are all less than 55% white by the way.

And in early America the country was 20%+ black not to mention all the Native Americans and Mexicans that weren't counted. The first census in 1790 show the country to be just over 19% black. It that number was like up around 30-33% for much of the 1700s, due to he labor needed to make the colonies habitable and profitable enough to lure more white settlers.

Old 05-16-2017, 05:07 AM

374 posts, read 654,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
White Millennials are products of a failed lesson in colorblindness | PBS NewsHour

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.d5c7c456de6a

Millennials are no less racist than Generation X - Business Insider

Data and my personal experience as a 23 year old black personal is that white millennials just didn't reallly care about racism and are as racist as their parents.

I've had white kids my age call me a n*gger I've heard two of my friends tell me the same. When I went to Senegal in 2010 age 16, I was standing at a slave shopping port and some classmates of mine told me I was lucky my ancestors were brought to America. And yes they were white city of Boston kids. Some white kids in high school called us "the blacks" in college The re was a racist banner with the word "N*gger" on it draped from the chapel at my school...

Not a factor? I think not.
I am sorry to hear this! I know that it is true. I don't recall as to how the conversation came up. Someone said to me that Massachusetts is not racist as the south. I looked at the person and can see how they know no one not of white skin. They live in a city that has people from every continent. They were racist bastards.

In bicycling the CRW loses black people because of their off handish matter. I dropped the CRW. It was a clique. Pretty much full of old white men that don't get along with anyone. One lady came to a few rides. I never saw her again. She started her own group of black bikers.

I refuse to tolerate this.

A fellow that I know came to a CRW bike ride in West Bridgewater for the first time. No one save I knew him. The only one to give him a warm welcome was me. I knew as to how fast he was. I was the only one happy to see him. I knew that we were going to have a good paceline. The ride organizer didn't look happy. He is another grumpy old white man.

I stopped riding with the CRW. I ride with a different bike club, now.

bill

Old 05-16-2017, 10:24 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,320,773 times
https://www.boston.com/news/local-ne...he-most-racist

Old 05-16-2017, 11:41 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times
I have never personally had a problem in Boston as a visitor. I have friends who live there that have stories that are crazy racist about the Black experience in Boston. There is consistency between them even though these individuals have never met. It is unlike anything that I've experienced in St Louis, Memphis and Charlotte. But all too similar to my experience living in Chicago.

There is no statistic to quantify the most racist city, state or whatever. There is a way to listen to people and their experience. When incidents happen like what happened at the baseball game it confirms there is something to be concerned about for Boston. (Other then that i love your city).

Old 05-17-2017, 06:02 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,320,773 times
Boston

Old 05-17-2017, 06:46 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,239,810 times
You kind of have to look at Boston's history. In 1940, Boston was 96.7% white. Vermont, basically. By 1970, Boston was 81.8% white. Today, it's less than 50% non-Hispanic white. Like anywhere else on the planet, poor people migrating to a city are treated as outsiders. They economically self-segregate in the poorest neighborhoods. Look at the Turkish communities in any German city. Look at the North Africans in any French city.

Old 05-17-2017, 06:49 AM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I have never personally had a problem in Boston as a visitor. I have friends who live there that have stories that are crazy racist about the Black experience in Boston. There is consistency between them even though these individuals have never met. It is unlike anything that I've experienced in St Louis, Memphis and Charlotte. But all too similar to my experience living in Chicago.

There is no statistic to quantify the most racist city, state or whatever. There is a way to listen to people and their experience. When incidents happen like what happened at the baseball game it confirms there is something to be concerned about for Boston. (Other then that i love your city).
I have met Black people who have been to or have lived in Boston. One thing I've noticed is the answers have varied by nationality. Most of the positive responses I've gotten have come from African or Caribbean Blacks. I've heard almost nothing but negative things from American Blacks. That could be another topic altogether.

It is hard to quantify racism, because it isn't really about numbers.

Old 05-26-2017, 01:03 PM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Boston and Milwaukee (I like both cities) are similar in their very high levels of segregation too.
The question is this: WHY?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston