U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 03:14 PM

5,292 posts, read 5,274,340 times

Advertisements

I mean, the city of perceived to me a very racist city. Is it overblown or sensationalist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 04:20 PM

1,109 posts, read 853,982 times
In general white people here will say it's sensationalist and outdated.

Black people will say it's pretty racist but prolly overblown. More racist than most big cities.

Save you some time. I mean racist headlines pop up every other day about BOSTON IN BOSTON..

Pushing out Motley
Pushing out Felix Areoyo
64% of stop and frisk from 2007-2011 were of blacks although were 24% of the population
Mass State Police Scandals
Robert Kraft supporting Trump
Largely ignored shootings/stabbing a/gang warfare in black neighborhoods
Very high Latino poverty rate
Yawkey Way being a thing
Extremely segregated white and black neighborhoods (although there are a good number of diverse neighborhoods now-they usually are my black/white)
Never had a minority mayor
Number one for inequality
Low opportunity metro for blacks and Hispanics
Massive wealth disparities
Real estate discrimination
Charles Stewart
Mark Wahlberg
The Monday's insult
Joel Ward
PK Subban
Fair mount Line never being turned into a subway line
Bussing
Michael cox, a black officer beaten by white Boston officers
No black movies set in Boston or New England in general
Most black people memories of when the visited/lived here

The list goes on and on... but don't worry black ppl are liars and are making up crazy stories.

Old 05-02-2017, 04:37 PM

11,488 posts, read 5,511,317 times
Because, sadly, racism does exist in Boston and vicinity. I spent the first 16 years of my life living either in Boston or the 'burbs. Being half-Hispanic, my siblings and I were on the receiving end of some nasty name-calling and comments. My parents refused to discuss our full genetic background with us for fear that we would tell other people.

That said, we also knew plenty of good hearted people who were the salt of the Earth types. Growing up, I took for granted that there would be such good people everywhere I went. I'll always remember those good people who accepted us just the way we were.

Old 05-02-2017, 04:45 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,212,343 times
The Washington St - DtX - theatre district - Common areas in Boston proper seem much more diverse now than I remember. A big variety of people. So that's progress and evidence against the observation people sometimes make that Boston seems exceptionally white. Most suburbs and small towns, yes, but the center and major sectors of the T-accessible zones are pretty diverse.

Old 05-02-2017, 05:17 PM

1,109 posts, read 853,982 times
Mission Hill, I would credit that to the silver line as well as general increased minority populations. To a lesser extent I would say there is an increase in young black professional nationwide and that includes Boston. These are the type of people who frequent downtowns and enjoy the urban experience.

Despite all the gentrification Boston's minority population continues to grow slowly, the opposite of Seattle and D.C. But similar to NYC.Large parts of that is that most black/Hispanic neighborhood a in Boston aren't very T accessible except from Ruggles to Green street. So I think the so laces away from the T were heavily minority and have only gotten more so in the past 15 years. With gentrification happening in nearly every major city it's making white people who may have no social ties to the area second guess if Bostons worth the price tag.

Blacks and latinos generally have fewer job options so if they get offered in a Boston-it's likely they HAVE to come. And speaking for Bostons current black pppulation, the economic opportununity here is still attracting people from the DR and Cape Verde RAPIDLY. They, as well as Nigerians, Haitians, Ethiopians, Vietnamese, usually already have family in the area.

Old 05-03-2017, 05:03 AM

Damn! That's real talk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Because, sadly, racism does exist in Boston and vicinity. I spent the first 16 years of my life living either in Boston or the 'burbs. Being half-Hispanic, my siblings and I were on the receiving end of some nasty name-calling and comments. My parents refused to discuss our full genetic background with us for fear that we would tell other people.

That said, we also knew plenty of good hearted people who were the salt of the Earth types. Growing up, I took for granted that there would be such good people everywhere I went. I'll always remember those good people who accepted us just the way we were.

Old 05-03-2017, 05:23 AM

52,631 posts, read 75,477,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

Black people will say it's pretty racist but prolly overblown. More racist than most big cities.

Save you some time. I mean racist headlines pop up every other day about BOSTON IN BOSTON..

Pushing out Motley
Pushing out Felix Areoyo
64% of stop and frisk from 2007-2011 were of blacks although were 24% of the population
Yawkey Way being a thing
Extremely segregated white and black neighborhoods (although there are a good number of diverse neighborhoods now-they usually are my black/white)
Charles Stewart
Mark Wahlberg
The Monday's insult
Joel Ward
PK Subban
Bussing

The list goes on and on... but don't worry black ppl are liars and are making up crazy stories.
This doesn't include the Adam Jones incident the other day and is probably why this thread was started.

Old 05-03-2017, 05:31 AM

Interesting perspective! Thanks!

Quote:
Mission Hill, I would credit that to the silver line as well as general increased minority populations. To a lesser extent I would say there is an increase in young black professional nationwide and that includes Boston. These are the type of people who frequent downtowns and enjoy the urban experience.

Despite all the gentrification Boston's minority population continues to grow slowly, the opposite of Seattle and D.C. But similar to NYC.Large parts of that is that most black/Hispanic neighborhood a in Boston aren't very T accessible except from Ruggles to Green street. So I think the so laces away from the T were heavily minority and have only gotten more so in the past 15 years. With gentrification happening in nearly every major city it's making white people who may have no social ties to the area second guess if Bostons worth the price tag.

Blacks and latinos generally have fewer job options so if they get offered in a Boston-it's likely they HAVE to come. And speaking for Bostons current black pppulation, the economic opportununity here is still attracting people from the DR and Cape Verde RAPIDLY. They, as well as Nigerians, Haitians, Ethiopians, Vietnamese, usually already have family in the area.

Old 05-03-2017, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Mark Wahlberg
*Huh??!!! Hahahahahahahahahahahaha! How does Mark "Markie Mark" Wahlberg fit into your list?

Quote:

Pushing out Motley
Pushing out Felix Areoyo
Yawkey Way being a thing
Charles Stewart
Mark Wahlberg
The Monday's insult
Joel Ward
PK Subban
Bussing

Old 05-03-2017, 05:40 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,818,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
*Huh??!!! Hahahahahahahahahahahaha! How does Mark "Markie Mark" Wahlberg fit into your list?
He was charged with attempted murder and was convicted of assault when he was 16 after beating 2 Vietnamese men with a baseball bat while shouting "Vietnam F***ing Sh**" and telling police "You don't have to let him identify me, I'll tell you now that's the motherf***er who's head I split open."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or