U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 09:15 PM

1,925 posts, read 1,072,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
But here's the sad part. Everything seems to be down but not all have fallen at the same rates. Rape is at 1979 levels and by all accounts even if it's one that's still very sad. 1600 last year It's hard to call a place nice when that is the case.
[/url]
More people might be willing to come forward with regards to rape/sexual assault then before. Still most rapes and sexual assaults go unreported, especially in less progressive areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 05:50 AM

3,572 posts, read 1,824,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
More people might be willing to come forward with regards to rape/sexual assault then before. Still most rapes and sexual assaults go unreported, especially in less progressive areas.
Exactly. 30 years ago, sexual assault was swept under the rug. Today, it's reported more because the stigma has been removed.

Old 06-08-2017, 06:15 AM

6,991 posts, read 6,707,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
But here's the sad part. Everything seems to be down but not all have fallen at the same rates. Rape is at 1979 levels and by all accounts even if it's one that's still very sad. 1600 last year It's hard to call a place nice when that is the case.
I think it's just more likely to be reported now.

Old 06-10-2017, 04:22 PM

1,121 posts, read 858,039 times
7 people shot in the past two days in 9 separate incidents. Weve still got some considerable work to do. Dorchester had 22 homicides last year and Brooklyn had 122. The problem i Brooklyn is 26 times bigger than Dorchester (2,600,000 v. 100,000) with only 6 times the homicides. The crime rate will go down as gentrification makes more of a social and cultural impact as it has in Brooklyn.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:56 PM

3,937 posts, read 3,850,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
7 people shot in the past two days in 9 separate incidents. Weve still got some considerable work to do. Dorchester had 22 homicides last year and Brooklyn had 122. The problem i Brooklyn is 26 times bigger than Dorchester (2,600,000 v. 100,000) with only 6 times the homicides. The crime rate will go down as gentrification makes more of a social and cultural impact as it has in Brooklyn.
True but where was the Boston Globe in reporting this? It seems like they just sweep it under the rug.

As for the sexual assault I'd add that frankly, academia might not take it seriously. It's been nearly 18 years since the "Rape happens at Harvard" came about.

Rape Happens at Harvard | Magazine | The Harvard Crimson

Then again Harvard didn't even teach ethics at HBS until the mid 90's. When you have generations brought up without them and they raise their own...

Old 06-19-2017, 06:47 AM

All of these crimes in the last 10 hours, these are the only ones reported, (I think I missed another assault) just by some random guy with a police scanner. Boston hasn't a long way to go-and the neighborhoods literally won't change until there's transit and nightlife. Transit and nightlife is what makes Cambridge Cambridge and Somerville Somerville. Leaving Boston neighborhoods disconnected and virtually in the dark after 9pm is what creates this-aside from discrimination and the subsequent poverty.

What's crazy is the globe won't report more than MAYBE one of these crimes.
Attached Thumbnails
How did Boston LOWER its crime rate?!-img_2242.png   How did Boston LOWER its crime rate?!-img_2243.png   How did Boston LOWER its crime rate?!-img_2244.png   How did Boston LOWER its crime rate?!-img_2245.png   How did Boston LOWER its crime rate?!-img_2247.png  

How did Boston LOWER its crime rate?!-img_2240.png   How did Boston LOWER its crime rate?!-img_2241.png   How did Boston LOWER its crime rate?!-img_2246.png   How did Boston LOWER its crime rate?!-img_2239.png  

Old 06-19-2017, 07:04 AM

7,865 posts, read 6,819,268 times
Quote:
All of these crimes in the last 10 hours, these are the only ones reported, (I think I missed another assault) just by some random guy with a police scanner. Boston hasn't a long way to go-and the neighborhoods literally won't change until there's transit and nightlife. Transit and nightlife is what makes Cambridge Cambridge and Somerville Somerville. Leaving Boston neighborhoods disconnected and virtually in the dark after 9pm is what creates this-aside from discrimination and the subsequent poverty.

Re: transit and nightlife. I don't see how this deters crime at all. Look at most suburbs in America: very little transit or nightlife, safe as can be. This is certainly NOT the problem in the crime ridden areas. There are many problems, but I really don't see the connection.

I think you're flipping cause and effect when mentioning Somerville and Cambridge. Or really any safe areas with transit and nightlife nationwide.

Though I agree, there is a lot more crime than people in the wealth bubble of Boston know or want to know about. Thanks for posting.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:20 AM

6,991 posts, read 6,707,358 times
Quote:

The thing about that is, can every single corner of the city realistically be served by transit? And let's say they came up with the money to do so and every corner of the city became like another Cambridge, Somerville or JP. Where then would all the non-wealthy go? West Roxbury and Hyde Park aren't served by the T, and their crime rates are not that high. Roxbury Crossing has had the T forever, and it's still the hood. No city is without ghetto. Gentrification only shifts the boundaries, you cannot totally eliminate it.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:36 AM

I think you can serve 48 square miles with transit easily. DC does it with their 60sq mikes. NYC covers at least 48 of its 330+ square mikes. Boston converse Brookline and newton more than sufficiently with the green line. LOOK AT THE GREENLINE.

South Philadelphia hell even north Philadelphia has nightlife.

Northeast D.C. Has nightlife.

Harlem and Brooklyn have nightlife.

Boston believes that having propel out at night will increase crime, NO. Forfeiting the street over to thugs as soon as it start to get dark increases crime. Foot traffic increases witnesses, and police activity. Also the streets of Boston get super dark at night because it still thinks of itself as a town in some ways. Better lighting in the DRM. The lack of anything for professionals to do in the area means their unaffected because they stay inside or somewhere else in the Boston metro at night.

I had my girlfriend over Thursday night nd we were going to walk from Centre Street and dot Ave to the 7 eleven in ashmont at about 11:30 pm she is not from Boston but has seen and heard things that make her skeptical of the area. She wasn't sure about going out to ashmont at that time of the night I assured here she'd be okay with me and ashmont area hadn't had any serious activity in a few months. on the way back a homeless man sort of came up behind us screaming something in coherent and startled us but we were okay...mind you not a single store was open aside from 7/11.

The next day a woman was shot in the head about midnight on Van Winkle Street right next to ashmont. My question is had there been a little more foot trafic next to a MAJOR TRANSPORTATION HUB for southern Boston on a Friday night. Would the area be safer? I think so. They're bringing in more apartments and an organic grocery store but I don't know how much good that does for safety when we know where the gangs are and we know there are also many professionals in ashmont. It just seems like we forfeit the space over to the lowlife at night.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:51 AM

7,865 posts, read 6,819,268 times
If we are going the nightlife route, most cities overall have more nightlife than Boston, to be honest. Even many smaller ones. Yet Boston is safer than most.

Nightlife actually tends to attract crime in many cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or