U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-14-2017, 12:10 PM
 
Location: Boston, MA
1 posts, read 285 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

I think the idea of having lock-box-controlled Narcan dispensary boxes in Cambridge is a very well-intentioned idea. I also think the process will be quickly abused and won't produce the desired results of saving lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-14-2017, 01:32 PM
 
585 posts, read 288,381 times
Reputation: 886
As I understand one would have to call 911 to get the access codes to open the boxes. This would simultaneously summon police and EMTs. Fake calls to access the Narcan when there was not an actual emergency overdose situation would be treated as any fake 911 call, and presumably prosecuted a bit more aggressively. This idea is in the very early stages of consideration by police and local government. It is nothing that is remotely imminent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2017, 08:50 PM
 
6,977 posts, read 6,693,614 times
Reputation: 4676
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
As I understand one would have to call 911 to get the access codes to open the boxes. This would simultaneously summon police and EMTs. Fake calls to access the Narcan when there was not an actual emergency overdose situation would be treated as any fake 911 call, and presumably prosecuted a bit more aggressively. This idea is in the very early stages of consideration by police and local government. It is nothing that is remotely imminent.
Well that sounds better than just a box all have unlimited access to. Some attempt needs to be made to get the real help to the individual that they need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2017, 08:00 AM
 
32,716 posts, read 22,656,169 times
Reputation: 29772
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Well that sounds better than just a box all have unlimited access to. Some attempt needs to be made to get the real help to the individual that they need.

The real help that a person needs when overdosing IS the narcan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2017, 08:30 AM
 
Location: Conway, SC
69 posts, read 69,502 times
Reputation: 68
Narcan is not another drug to be abused. It's a immediate attempt to save someone's life. There will still be after effects and a person still needs to get medical attention after narcan is administered. It's not a cure all that will make people think "Oh, I'll be ok if I overdose, I'll just use this narcan here." I think the boxes are a great idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2017, 08:50 AM
 
6,977 posts, read 6,693,614 times
Reputation: 4676
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
The real help that a person needs when overdosing IS the narcan.
Immediately, yes. It's basically like having a massive heart attack. Rapidly administering the AED will save their life. But are they done receiving medical care? Absolutely not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2017, 08:55 AM
 
32,716 posts, read 22,656,169 times
Reputation: 29772
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Immediately, yes. It's basically like having a massive heart attack. Rapidly administering the AED will save their life. But are they done receiving medical care? Absolutely not.
No, it is not basically like having a heart attack. Not one bit.


They are completely different situations of course that aren't analogous as if a person doesn't want to get clean, and doesn't believe they have a problem or want help, they cannot be helped. Pushing them into rehab is only counterproductive, especially since that takes away limited resources from those that do want to get clean and keep clean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2017, 09:03 AM
 
6,977 posts, read 6,693,614 times
Reputation: 4676
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
No, it is not basically like having a heart attack. Not one bit.
It is, because defibrillation will temporarily save ones life. But without followup care, or addressing the cause of the issue; one's long term outlook is very grim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
They are completely different situations of course that aren't analogous as if a person doesn't want to get clean, and doesn't believe they have a problem or want help, they cannot be helped. Pushing them into rehab is only counterproductive, especially since that takes away limited resources from those that do want to get clean and keep clean.
That is not how we are supposed to work as a society. One thing about those other countries you praise, is their system is designed so fewer fall through the cracks. It's contrary to our revolving door ER, bill the money and turn em out in the streets. We need more beds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2017, 09:08 AM
 
32,716 posts, read 22,656,169 times
Reputation: 29772
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
That is not how we are supposed to work as a society. One thing about those other countries you praise, is their system is designed so fewer fall through the cracks. It's contrary to our revolving door ER, bill the money and turn em out in the streets. We need more beds.


We need a smarter system. Pushing people that don't want to get clean and keep clean into rehab is just throwing money away. That is all it is. If someone really really really knows they have a problem, and they really want to get and keep clean it is still tremendously difficult. Sticking someone that doesn't want to get clean into an inpatient rehab doesn't do squat other than make some people lots of money. More beds would be good, using those beds for people that want them would be better. Decriminalizing drugs and ending the drug war, and doing things that address keeping people off of wanting to try drugs would be even better, but some dopes (mostly conservatives) keep pushing the law and order crap, and that its a moral issue crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2017, 10:20 AM
 
486 posts, read 360,497 times
Reputation: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Agree with you 100% on this one, bjimmy.

Treat the addicts, hang the dealers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top