U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 02:30 PM

489 posts, read 362,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
While the commute would be closer to 45 minutes to an hour and involve bus to subway, my neighborhood in Medford has 3 bed/1 baths for under $2500. The school system gets knocked a bit, but I know plenty of people who are happy in this neighborhood. The best school districts are, as you can imagine, generally in the priciest neighborhoods.

Keep in mind that housing stock is old here. Most affordable 3 bedrooms (ie. not new construction) only have one bathroom. My downstairs neighbors, for instance, have 3 kids in a 3 bed/1 bath apartment and do fine. That's common in this region.

And lead paint. Lots of crispy, crunchy, delicious lead paint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 08:14 AM

11,407 posts, read 16,038,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
And lead paint. Lots of crispy, crunchy, delicious lead paint.
Due to the law, I assume these places have been deleaded but I can't say for sure, not having kids of my own.

Lead paint is definitely something the OP will need to keep in mind. It can make it more difficult for young families to rent in general.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:31 PM

628 posts, read 448,068 times
If I wanted decent schools and a decent commute to that location I would rent in Canton, walkable to the Canton Junction commuter rail stop. Good schools, 20min to Back Bay Station and walk from Back Bay. Zone 3 commuter rail pass is $250/mo. Walkabilty-meh, mostly not much to walk to.

You could do Malden which has more to walk to but much worse schools. You could probably get a $2000ish crummy 2br in Melrose which has more cute stuff than Canton and is closer to Boston, the Oak Grove orange line train at the north tip of Malden is commutabke from Melrose. Maybe Quincy? Schools are getting better and it is a real city so it will be more urban than Canton or Melrose.

Also budget for car insurance to triple and heat in the winter will depend on how updated the unit and its systems are. I have had $400/mo heat on crappy 2br apartments and $125/mo on my giant house.

Not recommending or anything, just an example
https://boston.craigslist.org/sob/abo/6127533056.html

I have no idea what the neighborhood is like or anything, you would have to explore. Canton Junction has more frequent trains than Canton center but Canton Center is doable as well. Melrose is cuter but your apartment will be junky and in Boston you have six months of winter to sit around in your apartment.

So monthly- rent: $2500, heat/elec $300, car ins $100 per car, Tpass $250, inet $100, cell $70, Food- ???

Last edited by SalamanderSmile; 05-16-2017 at 04:50 PM..

Old 05-17-2017, 09:39 AM

1,394 posts, read 1,963,545 times
Swampscott gets you to North station in less than 30 mins. But then you need to get to your work.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:44 AM

1,394 posts, read 1,963,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Due to the law, I assume these places have been deleaded but I can't say for sure, not having kids of my own.

Lead paint is definitely something the OP will need to keep in mind. It can make it more difficult for young families to rent in general.
I was looking to buy a multi family and came across very few that were deleaded. Most were not on record of being tested because once you test you have to delead. Usually in the lease you get the standard "the owner has not tested and had no knowledge" and the rental market is so hot no one makes a fuss.

Also MA deleading is so stringent and expensive it is hard on the land lord, I think you need to strip everything 4 feet down. RI has a much more manageable approach of isolating the friction points of windows and door jams. Because even though the joke is always about eating lead chips, a lot of lead poisoning is caused by dust from window and door friction getting onto the floor and toys, etc.

Old 05-17-2017, 01:48 PM

11,407 posts, read 16,038,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston_Burbs View Post
I was looking to buy a multi family and came across very few that were deleaded. Most were not on record of being tested because once you test you have to delead. Usually in the lease you get the standard "the owner has not tested and had no knowledge" and the rental market is so hot no one makes a fuss.

Also MA deleading is so stringent and expensive it is hard on the land lord, I think you need to strip everything 4 feet down. RI has a much more manageable approach of isolating the friction points of windows and door jams. Because even though the joke is always about eating lead chips, a lot of lead poisoning is caused by dust from window and door friction getting onto the floor and toys, etc.
This is good info.

Since lead paint definitely isn't as much (if at all) of an issue in Alabama, the OP would be wise to do a little bit of research if he is serious about moving to New England: Massachusetts Lead Paint Law | Massachusetts Real Estate Law Blog

It's tough on both sides: harder for parents of young kids to rent, and expensive for landlords.

Old 05-17-2017, 04:34 PM

50 posts, read 34,961 times
Thank you for information. The lead paint and increased car insurance are two new pieces of information. I am researching trade-offs. At this point, schools will likely fall off list since I will have children entering Kindergarten in fall 2019 and fall 2021. Preschools are expensive regardless of location in city or suburbs. We would have to move in 2 years to an neighborhood with better schools, but at that point my husband would be able to work full time instead of part time to offset increased cost. Thank you again for all the information.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:48 PM

5,040 posts, read 4,854,154 times
Just something to consider that schools here are good. A mediocre school here is equivalent to a great school in many other areas.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:24 PM

1,663 posts, read 2,236,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Just something to consider that schools here are good. A mediocre school here is equivalent to a great school in many other areas.
Example: Worcester is, nationwide, an average school!
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ares.html?_r=0
Worcester's students are 0.2 grades behind the average US school. OP: Worcester is probably bottom 10% of Mass school districts - at least east of 290/395. Lynn and Chelsea are 0.3 grades behind.
Comparison, Montgomery, AL is 1.6 grades behind US average.

Problem is that a town like Newton is 3.1 grades ahead of average and in the top 10% nationwide. Natick is +2.5 grades, Hopkinton +2.8, Concord +3.2. According to that NYT article, Lexington is the best district in the country.

OP: Commuter rail goes from Natick center to Back Bay in 26 minutes, 32 minutes to South Station. Depending on where the office exactly is, south station might be closer, but Back Bay is probably better.
SFH in Natick go for ~$2000 and up (and up)
2b Apartments start around $1800

Framingham is 10 minutes further out, and a little cheaper. It is another fair zone out too, but that's only $30/month more.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:24 PM

3,268 posts, read 2,203,427 times
Default Re

Any house built before 1978 likely has lead paint. Ive known many people who had no idea they had lead in their home until they had a child test high for lead. It is the lead dust that is just an issue with little ones crawling on the floor then putting their hands in their mouth. It can be in soil too then people can bring it in on their shoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or