Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 01:39 PM

78 posts, read 59,382 times

Advertisements

I don't know what the link policy is here, but according to a NYTimes article today Cambridge may one day setup lock boxes with Narcan for opioid overdoses. So the article says Central Sq is between the two most drug infested areas in Cambridge, so I have to ask where? I spent a few months living in Central and clearly I lack attention to detail. I had no idea.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 06:21 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,697,239 times
Harvard Square is a dump filled with homeless addicts and Central on Mass Ave isn't too far behind IMO.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:37 PM

652 posts, read 750,174 times
Don't be so friggin melodramatic. Harvard Square is far from a dump. Sure there are a lot of panhandlers. But drive up to Lawrence or down to the Bronx before you calll it a dump.

Central certainly does have a lot of homeless ambling about, but it's busy enough that I have never felt unsafe there.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:38 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,697,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rethcir View Post
Don't be so friggin melodramatic. Harvard Square is far from a dump. Sure there are a lot of panhandlers. But drive up to Lawrence or down to the Bronx before you calll it a dump.

Central certainly does have a lot of homeless ambling about, but it's busy enough that I have never felt unsafe there.
I've been to Lawrence and the Bronx. Are they worse? Sure. That doesn't sugarcoat how crappy Harvard Square is and yes, I've watched people shoot up out in the open there (something I've never had to deal with in the Bronx).

Old 05-09-2017, 07:24 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,233,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
I've been to Lawrence and the Bronx. Are they worse? Sure. That doesn't sugarcoat how crappy Harvard Square is and yes, I've watched people shoot up out in the open there (something I've never had to deal with in the Bronx).
Harvard Square is not crappy. It's not any different then other major city centers (in fact i'd say that Downtown Crossing is worse).

Hell there was a guy in times square who openly offered me cocaine.

Old 05-09-2017, 07:31 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
When you hang out in alleys at 3am you can see all sorts of things. Harvard Square is tame as heck. Heck, it was grittier in the 80s and even then it was lily white and tame.

Old 05-10-2017, 05:27 AM

513 posts, read 647,010 times
I have family in Central Square and we walk down to Harvard Square when we visit. Every time we walk Mass Ave through Central, we have walked by at least one drug deal.
If I was walking alone, it wouldn't phase me. I have walked passed several drug deals on Essex St. in Boston near the intersection of Tremont on my way to the Back Bay. It is a bit unsettling, though, when you walk by with your kids.

Old 05-10-2017, 05:47 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
There is one particular part of Mass Ave near Central square that is still a bit unsavory. Specifically the area around Carl Barron Plaza at the south corner of the intersection of Mass Ave and River Street and the 600 block of Mass Ave immediately adjacent to this area. The rest of Mass Ave has slowly gentrified and been built up, however none of it has been truly dangerous in the past 25 years.

Harvard Square? Anyone who finds that area too gritty really needs to get out more and broaden their horizons. FWIW some of the most valuable real estate in the country is located between Harvard and Central Squares and it is rapidly appreciating every day.

To the OP's initial question, there is a needle exchange near Central square that tends to localize some of the drug activity, but the plaza has always been a magnet for users. As far as Narcan is concerned, the Cambridge police department very recently starting using it to support Cambridge Fire and EMS responses to overdose situations. This has already saved lives and will save more, as it has in virtually every municipality across the country where it is in use. Again this is for police use only.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:08 AM

776 posts, read 956,118 times
Why Police only ?

In Canada, ANYONE can buy it, with out a prescription. Anyone.

And it is a nasal spray so no need for a IV injection.

In Toronto, the public buildings, schools, stores and buses and taxis carry it. So do the ems fire and police services .

We treat drug addiction as a medical problem not a crime.

link. Health Canada approves non-prescription naloxone nasal spray - The Globe and Mail

xx.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:24 AM

23,566 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleguy View Post
Why Police only ?

In Canada, ANYONE can buy it, with out a prescription. Anyone.

And it is a nasal spray so no need for a IV injection.

In Toronto, the public buildings, schools, stores and buses and taxis carry it. So do the ems fire and police services .

We treat drug addiction as a medical problem not a crime.

link. Health Canada approves non-prescription naloxone nasal spray - The Globe and Mail

xx.
Maybe because Narcan only serves to enable the addiction. If it is that easy to obtain it, then the chances of receiving real medical intervention are diminished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston