U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 04:19 PM

1,431 posts, read 449,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Taang was a Boston label run by Curtis. He had a store in Harvard Sq for many years before moving to the West Coast (more of a museum it was so overpriced). Ripped of many many bands. Put out first LPs by big bands like Mighty Mighty Bosstones and Lemonheads, but started in the early 80s with hardcore like Negative FX and Slapshot. Reissued earlier XClaim releases too. Taaang was THE Boston label, like Dischord was in DC. Just a scummy dude. "Licensed" releases to Europe labels, bands never saw royalties, and there were many. Also had t-shirts made overseas through subsidiaries that bands never got money for.

No one involved with him liked him or his practices. Heck, a bunch of the bands on his label actively encourage downloading of their work he put out to avoid any money going to the label.
Thanks for the history, T, I didn't know. Isn't that awful... an oft-told story, I'm afraid. What do teens & 20-somethings know about contracts & agent/mngr fees, etc. Was his store in H'vd Sq also called Taang? I remember there was a recording studio somewhere on Newbury St & then the Morphine bandmates have one in Cambridge, if I'm not mistaken... Inman or Porter Sq maybe?

I read a long article, or maybe saw an interview on cable access TV with the lawyer from O Positive. (Gosh, am I that old I can't recall details now?!) Wonder if he mentioned him... that exact subject was the crux of his interview. I'll try to find it... would be curious to read/see it again.

I remember seeing the Lemonheads once or twice before they hit it semi-big on MTV & even a lesser known band, the Lemmings, who didn't play often, but I made the effort to see them whenever they did. I just always hoped people didn't play at Edible Rex in Billerica, which was so far a drive from Boston in my old clunker, down some darkened road, often in the snow. In those years before GPS & Internet, I recall forgetting where it was... drove back & forth & forgot that little road you needed to turn down & had to drive back home in my probably black spandex outfit & big, teased AquaNet sprayed hairstyle, without seeing the bands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 05:18 PM

Timber... It appears he's still operating in San Diego.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taang!_Records

Old 06-01-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I miss Boston Radio, especially.....WOW
Yes, well, John, welcome to the 'We wish we were at Bunratty's drinking a Simpatico beer & watching a band' club.

Old 06-01-2017, 06:40 PM

32,964 posts, read 22,880,151 times
Yeah, I knew he was still in business on the west coast. Really doesn't do anything new, just lives off old releases and reissues of old tracks. I think it was called Taang. It was an upstairs shop. I'm pretty sure it is where Charlies Kitchen upstairs is now, if not, it was on the same block.

The bands had contracts, or most did. They weren't tiny bands for the most part even then, in fact, hardcore sold a lot more. He just didn't pay and there wasn't much you could do, especially when you use shell labels as overseas fronts that can easily fudge production numbers.

If I remember right, O Positive's LP was on Modern Method, a much smaller, label done with handshakes. Boston Not LA being their big release. My brother saw them a few times and always liked them.

I had or have The Lemmings 12", I can't recall it making an impression, but lots of times those bands didn't record great, that takes practice, much different than live.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:17 AM

1,161 posts, read 459,736 times
Shady practices aside. They were responsible for some of my favorite records.. mainly S^M BL^CK CHVRCH...
Let In Life!

Old 06-02-2017, 06:57 AM

32,964 posts, read 22,880,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Shady practices aside. They were responsible for some of my favorite records.. mainly S^M BL^CK CHVRCH...
Let In Life!

I cringed when SBC signed with them. It was the death of many bands. The delay with the SBC records was part for the course, it took years to come out, and I hated the production values on the record you named. SBC was so big and ready to hit it when they signed. Heck, they had a demo tape release show at the Paradise that sold out (with Only Living Witness and Reckoning Force (from Maine)), but it took years for their record to come out. Bad move by Cringe and SBC. But, there weren't many options in Boston for labels. Oh well. Killer live band though.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:03 AM

1,161 posts, read 459,736 times
The Best.
I still have vivid memories of JET jumping up and grabbing his toes.
Rabbba daeeeooo ohhhhhh!
The right fuel!

Old 06-08-2017, 09:04 PM

192 posts, read 90,408 times
My dad used to clean the old Fnx studio and bldg in Lynn.
Old memories.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonTankah View Post
My dad used to clean the old Fnx studio and bldg in Lynn.
Old memories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or