Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 01:15 AM

3,097 posts, read 2,000,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Wow. thats a huge score. Thanks for the links. remember the shows at deli haus?
You're very welcome... lots of old memories in those decades old archives!

Maybe... wasn't it a block away from the Rat, next to the Kenmore T & packed after clubs... same side of the street? If I recall, it was a bit of a rowdy crowd early mornings, so I think we always bypassed it.

I was the designated driver, being the only one with a car, so I'm afraid I was a killjoy... wanted to watch the bands, drive all over E. Jayzuz bringing everyone home safely, then return home so I could drive around Boston for 40-min looking for a space close enough to my house so that I didn't get murdered on the sprint home. I was too nice... should have sent them all home in cabs. That part I don't miss... bleedin' on-street, inner city parking.

If we ate after clubs... we went back to my house & I cooked breakfast before I drove everyone home. Gosh, I was way too nice.

Who did you used to see, GP? O Positive, Think Tree, Cxema, Tribe? Recall any of those bands?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 05:14 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,119,515 times
Ha. Yes. of course.
I was the era of Showcase Showdown, 10 Yard Fight, Reason Enough, Jumpsuit Jerry's.......

Old 06-01-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Ha. Yes. of course.
I was the era of Showcase Showdown, 10 Yard Fight, Reason Enough, Jumpsuit Jerry's.......
I don't recall any of those bands, so it must have been after I left in '90. I returned in '97 for a few years & only a few familiar bands were still playing, some had reshuffled into other bands & some had long retired & were playing reunion shows once/yr, like O Positive. I was always surprised OP didn't make it as a nat'l band, as more than most, they had a crossover sound that would have fit mainstream radio at the time.

I only know a few stories, if I read an article in the Phoenix, but it was nice to see a couple move onward & upward. Dave, the lead singer w/O Positive became an entertainment lawyer, mainly helping musicians collect royalties & manage their money (like what Duff McKagan is doing now in Seattle) & Krishna, the keyboard player from Think Tree is in NY & writing scores for mainly car commercials. I'm sure there are many happy stories. I'd love to read an article about how some of the local musicians fared over the years.

Old 06-01-2017, 10:43 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
I don't recall any of those bands, so it must have been after I left in '90. I returned in '97 for a few years & only a few familiar bands were still playing, some had reshuffled into other bands & some had long retired & were playing reunion shows once/yr, like O Positive. I was always surprised OP didn't make it as a nat'l band, as more than most, they had a crossover sound that would have fit mainstream radio at the time.

I only know a few stories, if I read an article in the Phoenix, but it was nice to see a couple move onward & upward. Dave, the lead singer w/O Positive became an entertainment lawyer, mainly helping musicians collect royalties & manage their money (like what Duff McKagan is doing now in Seattle) & Krishna, the keyboard player from Think Tree is in NY & writing scores for mainly car commercials. I'm sure there are many happy stories. I'd love to read an article about how some of the local musicians fared over the years.
Those bands were early (93ish) to mid 90s. I too left in 90, but came back most summers, worked with one of the dudes from Showcase Showdown and another from Fat Day at Herrells in Harvard Square.

Old 06-01-2017, 11:27 AM

Holy Sh1t.. Fat day. hahah

Old 06-01-2017, 11:55 AM

100% Breakfast Records represent

Old 06-01-2017, 12:34 PM

You guys remember TAANG! records of course ?
Some of my favorite releases from then.

Old 06-01-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
You guys remember TAANG! records of course ?
Some of my favorite releases from then.
Oh, now I'm feeling left out in my own thread. You whippersnappers. Haha. I never went, but kind of sort of maybe recall the name. Was that in Revere?

I went to Newbury Comics & there were 2 great 2nd hand record stores in H'vd Sq, where I traded old albums for new. Without searching, I don't even recall their names. Since I lived on the redline or could take a bus to Copley Sq., I tended to haunt places along those routes.

Old 06-01-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Oh, now I'm feeling left out in my own thread. You whippersnappers. Haha. I never went, but kind of sort of maybe recall the name. Was that in Revere?

I went to Newbury Comics & there were 2 great 2nd hand record stores in H'vd Sq, where I traded old albums for new. Without searching, I don't even recall their names. Since I lived on the redline or could take a bus to Copley Sq., I tended to haunt places along those routes.

Taang was a Boston label run by Curtis. He had a store in Harvard Sq for many years before moving to the West Coast (more of a museum it was so overpriced). Ripped of many many bands. Put out first LPs by big bands like Mighty Mighty Bosstones and Lemonheads, but started in the early 80s with hardcore like Negative FX and Slapshot. Reissued earlier XClaim releases too. Taaang was THE Boston label, like Dischord was in DC. Just a scummy dude. "Licensed" releases to Europe labels, bands never saw royalties, and there were many. Also had t-shirts made overseas through subsidiaries that bands never got money for.

No one involved with him liked him or his practices. Heck, a bunch of the bands on his label actively encourage downloading of their work he put out to avoid any money going to the label.

Old 06-01-2017, 01:46 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
I miss Boston Radio, especially.....WOW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston