U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2017, 07:59 PM

20 posts, read 16,271 times

Advertisements

I've to use the Acton line and get off in the North Station in a few days. I've been to the South Station several times, and it is filled with places to eat. How does the North Station compare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 04:19 AM

585 posts, read 289,102 times
These is a small food court Dunkin Donuts, pizza, McDonalds, etc. Services are not quite as extensive as in South Station.

Old 06-04-2017, 03:05 PM

5,944 posts, read 6,740,447 times
North Station isn't as nice as South Station. South Station has those nice collaboration tables and cafe seating and better places to grab food if the train is delayed. The neighborhood surrounding North Station is not very nice, with its dive bars, trash thrown in the streets and various human odors that I won't detail on a public forum. During basketball and hockey seasons there are hordes of often drunken and rowdy fans pushing and shoving to get into the games. The east entrance is best to avoid being trampled. Of course, if you yourself are a Celtics and Bruins big time fan, being able to get on a train to go home after a game could be advantageous.

Old 06-04-2017, 03:28 PM

1,924 posts, read 1,067,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
North Station isn't as nice as South Station. South Station has those nice collaboration tables and cafe seating and better places to grab food if the train is delayed. The neighborhood surrounding North Station is not very nice, with its dive bars, trash thrown in the streets and various human odors that I won't detail on a public forum. During basketball and hockey seasons there are hordes of often drunken and rowdy fans pushing and shoving to get into the games. The east entrance is best to avoid being trampled. Of course, if you yourself are a Celtics and Bruins big time fan, being able to get on a train to go home after a game could be advantageous.
With all of the new luxury apartment complexes being built in the North Station area that really isn't the case anymore.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:25 AM

32,716 posts, read 22,656,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
With all of the new luxury apartment complexes being built in the North Station area that really isn't the case anymore.

I have an office at North Station. It definitely still is the case.

Old 06-05-2017, 02:25 PM

3,748 posts, read 1,341,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I have an office at North Station. It definitely still is the case.

It however is far better than it used to be. There was hardly any residential 10-20 years ago and the dive bars were basically the only things there. Area now has more restaurants, stores, offices, and housing. While it has improved greatly, it has not totally lost all the pan handlers, drunks, and dive bars. I saw enough of that in the last year while I worked there.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:10 AM

7,336 posts, read 15,298,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
It however is far better than it used to be. There was hardly any residential 10-20 years ago and the dive bars were basically the only things there. Area now has more restaurants, stores, offices, and housing. While it has improved greatly, it has not totally lost all the pan handlers, drunks, and dive bars. I saw enough of that in the last year while I worked there.
I work here now (a block away). I agree. It's not nearly as bad as it used to be- but it's hardly pristine.

As compared to South Station, South Station itself is nicer with more dining options inside. However, I'd argue that N. Station has more in the immediate area if you're willing to step outside. Causeway and Canal are the big dining streets in the area. Rodey has good pizza and subs (skip Crazy Dough's in the station if you want pizza), and Equal Exchange and Boston Common (and Cuppacoffee if you'll walk 5 minutes, and i suggest you do) have better coffee than the Dunk's in the station. Tasty Burger should be opening any day now at the Avalon attached to N. Station too.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:25 AM

32,716 posts, read 22,656,169 times
Ha, yeah, I just hit Viva Burrito when I'm eating out there. I know in the grand scheme they aren't great, but its a good value lunch burrito.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or