U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2017, 06:36 PM

3,464 posts, read 4,356,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Someone would rather be in Houston than Boston? I smell a troll, but whatever.
Really? You think he posted a pretty typical question a month ago in some sort of deep cover troll? You think that's more likely than someone preferring Houston to Boston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 09:23 PM

19,043 posts, read 10,066,076 times
OP, do you really think that researchers at Dana Farber and Mass General and all the other Harvard Med School (plus all the other med schools in the area) affiliated hospitals don't have any "actual hands-on evidence of success"?

Sounds like sour grapes to me, and that's putting the cost of living aside.

Old 07-17-2017, 04:28 AM

7,871 posts, read 6,819,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Really? You think he posted a pretty typical question a month ago in some sort of deep cover troll? You think that's more likely than someone preferring Houston to Boston?
The weather alone in Boston is honestly enough so half of all people would never even consider moving here. Especially if you're a Texan.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:29 AM

4,053 posts, read 4,431,472 times
Houston? Good decision. I was ready to say $100K for a family of five? Try Ware or Palmer. LOL

Old 07-17-2017, 06:14 AM

2,771 posts, read 1,577,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Houston? Good decision. I was ready to say $100K for a family of five? Try Ware or Palmer. LOL
Although he did indicate that the offer was for much more than he expected.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:51 AM

32,752 posts, read 22,697,194 times
Quote:

There appear to be plenty of people, especially from cities with populations that feel disrespected (Houston is one, Atlanta is another big one) that seem to do just such things often enough on here. Set ups to talk smack about better cities. I've sadly spent enough time in Houston (was seeing someone who's family was an oil family for several years) to know enough about it, and to know better despite it having all the elements of a good city (major sports, major orchestras/arts, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
OP, do you really think that researchers at Dana Farber and Mass General and all the other Harvard Med School (plus all the other med schools in the area) affiliated hospitals don't have any "actual hands-on evidence of success"?

Sounds like sour grapes to me, and that's putting the cost of living aside.
You're right, it may just be sour grapes too and not trolling.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:10 AM

7,001 posts, read 6,707,358 times
I never been to Houston or Texas, but I just can't imagine wanting to move from there to Boston if I had no family or connections to the area. Maybe only if they doubled or tripled my salary.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:13 AM

3,464 posts, read 4,356,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
There appear to be plenty of people, especially from cities with populations that feel disrespected (Houston is one, Atlanta is another big one) that seem to do just such things often enough on here. Set ups to talk smack about better cities. I've sadly spent enough time in Houston (was seeing someone who's family was an oil family for several years) to know enough about it, and to know better despite it having all the elements of a good city (major sports, major orchestras/arts, etc).
Even if that were true, wouldn't anyone who wants to 'talk smack about better cities' do so because they prefer Houston to Boston? Do you really believe that Boston is so objectively better than Houston that anyone who prefers Houston is deluding themselves?

The reality is that unless you're a well-educated and well-paid liberal white person who likes (or at least doesn't mind) cold weather, there are definite advantages to Houston over Boston. Houston is less expensive, more diverse, more conservative, a lot warmer, and has much better Mexican food and BBQ. I've lived in Houston and Boston and prefer the latter, but I know enough to say that's my opinion, not some fact (in part because I am a well-educated, well-paid white person who like the cold).

Old 07-17-2017, 07:18 AM

8,730 posts, read 8,934,157 times
I've got good friends that live in Houston, and travel there to visit them. Houston's not bad, and I have a great time there other than the fact that it seems like there is nothing to do after 9PM, even on the weekend and there is probably 2000 miles of highway that you can ride for 45mins on and still be in Houston.

I keep trying to convince said buddy to move from Houston to Boston (he did live previously in the area, but also had family in Houston that we went back to), and the #1 reason against it is COL. I personally don't blame him.

My #1 gripe is the heat. It gets HOT there.

Good luck to you OP, i'll be down in Houston myself in a couple of weeks for the weekend.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:24 AM

32,752 posts, read 22,697,194 times
Quote:
Even if that were true, wouldn't anyone who wants to 'talk smack about better cities' do so because they prefer Houston to Boston? Do you really believe that Boston is so objectively better than Houston that anyone who prefers Houston is deluding themselves?

No, they might believe it sincerely. All types out there.

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-17-2017 at 08:55 AM.. Reason: Off topic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or