U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2017, 08:45 AM

32,778 posts, read 22,716,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
This is totally valid. And OP gave some of this in his response. Then he went out of his way to insult the city, and gave what I think is a delusional opinion about people trying to deceptively convince people to move to Boston by hiding its flaws and that the city was in truth pretty awful. It actually struck me as a bit odd in its extremity. I don't really see why the OP would have such hostility - fine, increased COL wasn't sufficiently offset by the increase in salary. But this went beyond that.

Exactly as I read it. If it was just economics, that makes perfect sense. I moved to Providence this winter due to economics, its a huge factor. That said, I think you get what you pay for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 08:46 AM

7,899 posts, read 6,832,090 times
Quote:
The weather is the #1 reason why I would never move to Houston. The humidity is some of the worst anywhere.
I'm not a fan of heat or humidity either. But it's pretty clear that people are much more likely to move from cold places to warm places than the other way around.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I'm not a fan of heat or humidity either. But it's pretty clear that people are much more likely to move from cold places to warm places than the other way around.

And generally I've found they want to move right back (helped a friend who escaped FL this past weekend, she couldn't raise her daughter there), but many have trouble doing so as they've adapted to the cheap COL.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:53 AM

7,027 posts, read 6,720,279 times
Quote:
Then he went out of his way to insult the city, and gave what I think is a delusional opinion about people trying to deceptively convince people to move to Boston by hiding its flaws and that the city was in truth pretty awful.
I interpreted that as being directed towards those trying to recruit him, not at the city as a whole. I can totally see that taking place, knowing some of the medical community in Boston.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:57 AM

19,053 posts, read 10,079,571 times
Quote:
This is totally valid. And OP gave some of this in his response. Then he went out of his way to insult the city, and gave what I think is a delusional opinion about people trying to deceptively convince people to move to Boston by hiding its flaws and that the city was in truth pretty awful. It actually struck me as a bit odd in its extremity. I don't really see why the OP would have such hostility - fine, increased COL wasn't sufficiently offset by the increase in salary. But this went beyond that.
agreed.

I love Boston but I don't live there anymore and I have a much better standard of living where I am now (Denver) than I could ever afford in Boston. It's legitimate comment, even criticism, to discuss the fact that Boston is not an affordable place to live.

But I also work in the medical research field, and his statement about Boston not having success in that area was just bizarre.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
agreed.

I love Boston but I don't live there anymore and I have a much better standard of living where I am now (Denver) than I could ever afford in Boston. It's legitimate comment, even criticism, to discuss the fact that Boston is not an affordable place to live.

But I also work in the medical research field, and his statement about Boston not having success in that area was just bizarre.

Denver is pretty darn expensive now too, but yeah, that's a great city. Everyone I know that has lived in Colorado has loved it.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:07 AM

7,027 posts, read 6,720,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
He never said such, only that he was surrounded by top cancer researchers in Houston. I can imagine it annoying being told that Boston is the be all end all, when coming from a city that is no small player itself.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:23 AM

7,899 posts, read 6,832,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
He never said such, only that he was surrounded by top cancer researchers in Houston. I can imagine it annoying being told that Boston is the be all end all, when coming from a city that is no small player itself.
I get that. My brother came here for a bit, graduate of Northwestern and Notre Dame. It was just funny listening to people talk about how serious education and academics are in Boston... I think it's true that people here tend to overestimate what they know in terms of national importance and underestimate everyone else.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:35 AM

19,053 posts, read 10,079,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaustinTejas View Post
If anyone cares, I declined the position even when offered a much higher salary than expected. I find the COL in your area simply outrageous and not worth it by most measures. The supposed gains of an intellectual or liberal area to be had if any I found are minimal (I am pretty liberal) and I found myself completely unimpressed in the week I spent there. In Houston, I am already surrounded by top Cancer researchers in the country with actual hands-on evidence of success. I felt that I was being talked up by unhappy snake oil salesman the entire time I was there. I strongly suspect that these costs make people generally unhappy there.

To each their own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I think the implication of his post was that he had something in Houston that he would not get in Boston, researchers with "actual hands-on evidence of success." I don't think anything in my post implied that there are not other locations with good research going on - I certainly don't think that given that I work in this field in a place other than Boston!

I am not questioning someone's choice to not live in Boston, and I'm not saying it's the be all and end all of cancer research. But to imply that there isn't successful research in Boston was, to repeat myself, bizarre.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:55 AM

2,772 posts, read 1,578,266 times
Quote:
The thing is, you've got to deal with natural forces. It basically comes down to picking snow and ice or bugs and snakes. I'll take snow and ice.

Quote:
I get that. My brother came here for a bit, graduate of Northwestern and Notre Dame. It was just funny listening to people talk about how serious education and academics are in Boston... I think it's true that people here tend to overestimate what they know in terms of national importance and underestimate everyone else.
It is true that many Bostonians have an overinflated sense of their self importance and of the greatness of Boston. But that didn't seem to be exactly what the OP was saying -- he mentioned "snake oil salesman," which is more of a con job -- not arrogance but downright deception. I don't think the typical Bostonian would feel any need to deceive someone to entice them to move here. It's more of a "are you worthy of us" rather than "are we worthy of you?" Frankly, I don't think most Bostonians would give one whit if someone decided they didn't want to move to Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or