U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 12:38 PM

418 posts, read 246,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Uh, I have no idea where you're getting this notion. It very well may not be worth the money, but no one in their right mind would call it a rust bucket... or call 1600 sq a shack.
I think you are missing my point, it is to do with how much it's priced.

A 1000 sqft Manhattan condo priced for 1m would be described as nice, if priced at 100m it would be described by any sane person as a shack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 12:45 PM

32,716 posts, read 22,656,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
I think you are missing my point, it is to do with how much it's priced.

A 1000 sqft Manhattan condo priced for 1m would be described as nice, if priced at 100m it would be described by any sane person as a shack

No, that would not be a sane person. A sane person would say it isn't worth the money to them.

Pricing doesn't make a 1600 sq ft house, "a shack", nor a new car a "rust bucket". The price doesn't change something from nice to crappy. It very well change whether it is a good deal (duh), but it doesn't make it a crappy place or car.

Old 07-24-2017, 12:46 PM

6,977 posts, read 6,693,614 times
Quote:
I can guarantee you didn't pay 11x the average Boston income at the time. If you paid 800k for it those many years ago it may have been described as such.

My point is, this thread is from a newcomers perspective, when you take into account how expensive the smaller houses are relative to average income...

A Honda Civic priced at $50,000 would be considered a rust bucket but at 15k it would be a nice car. FYI, I think a Honda Civic does cost 50k in Singapore due to taxes!
So do they in Singapore consider a Honda Civic to be a rust bucket?

You really aren't making sense.

Old 07-24-2017, 01:40 PM

418 posts, read 246,786 times
One last attempt and then I give up

A new comer to Boston area who can afford 800k for a house would could buy a 5000 sqft brand new mansion on 1 acre. This is what they consider normal

You show them a 80 year house on a 0.15 acre lot, 1,600 sqft house in fixer upper condition (current Newton market) for 800k. How would that person describe that house? They certainly would not use the word "nice"

Folks living in Boston for too long and have accepted the outrageous prices as the norm could never imagine their point of view

Old 07-24-2017, 01:43 PM

2,769 posts, read 2,209,055 times
Quote:

A new comer to Boston area who can afford 800k for a house would could buy a 5000 sqft brand new mansion on 1 acre. This is what they consider normal

You show them a 80 year house on a 0.15 acre lot, 1,600 sqft house in fixer upper condition (current Newton market) for 800k. How would that person describe that house? They certainly would not use the word "nice"

Folks living in Boston for too long and have accepted the outrageous prices as the norm could never imagine their point of view
The difference is the person with an $800k budget can find the house they're looking for. It may not be in Newton but they'll find it.

The person with the $300k budget has limited options.

Old 07-24-2017, 01:44 PM

32,716 posts, read 22,656,169 times
Quote:

They would think it is too expensive for the price. They wouldn't call it a "shack" though. And they may think it is nice, if it is nice.

I've lived in a bunch of states, most cheaper than metro Boston area, it doesn't mean the houses / apartments here are crummier, they're just more expensive for what you get and usually a bit older. It doesn't make them "shacks" at 1600 sq ft! That's just silliness.

Old 07-24-2017, 01:55 PM

6,977 posts, read 6,693,614 times
Quote:

No one accepts these prices as the norm, heck these current prices we are seeing aren't even the "norm" for the Boston area. But it is what it is, fact is some places in the country will be more expensive than others. To expect it to be uniform everywhere, is foolish. People are expected to do their homework before relocating anywhere.

Old 07-24-2017, 02:45 PM

2,769 posts, read 1,571,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
The difference is the person with an $800k budget can find the house they're looking for. It may not be in Newton but they'll find it.

The person with the $300k budget has limited options.
This is a very important point.

Old 07-24-2017, 03:45 PM

3,268 posts, read 2,193,284 times
It's sad because 100k used to be a good salary. Now it's simply average and you're competing with people making far more many of whom are moving to boston for high paying jobs from all over the world. This isn't an easy city to live or buy in if you don't have a high salary. Particularly if you have a family with kids you want to put in a good school system.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:23 AM

7,854 posts, read 6,805,356 times
I'm sorry but there truly are a lot of overpriced shacks in Boston. I don't know about Newton but the overarching point is spot on.

Boston (Brighton)
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...17_rect/12_zm/

Now compare that majestic Brighton home to what you could get for considerably less money elsewhere:

Cleveland
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...95_rect/13_zm/

St. Paul
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...97_rect/12_zm/

Pittsburgh
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...84_rect/14_zm/

Columbus
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...75_rect/14_zm/

Chicago
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...22_rect/11_zm/

I have no idea why anyone would want to relocate to Boston to purchase a home unless they weren't fantastically rich. But even if you are, you still get much more elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or