U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2017, 03:06 PM

32,778 posts, read 22,726,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I don't live that far from the Brighton one. I didn't realize how desirable the fringe of Boston was vs fringe of Chicago. Seems pretty fair to me.

If your point is Chicago is bigger, well... yeah...? Clearly. It's also more affordable.

These houses are all in desirable locations. I didn't cheat and go compare a ghetto house to a Brighton home. Come on.

It is more affordable. I actually think its a better city, personally. But the economy there stinks. That's the difference.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 05:07 PM

2,772 posts, read 1,579,773 times
Quote:
I don't live that far from the Brighton one. I didn't realize how desirable the fringe of Boston was vs fringe of Chicago. Seems pretty fair to me.

If your point is Chicago is bigger, well... yeah...? Clearly. It's also more affordable.

These houses are all in desirable locations. I didn't cheat and go compare a ghetto house to a Brighton home. Come on.
The city of Chicago is physically much larger than the city of Boston, so "fringe" of the city is not comparable. That location would be much further away from the areas of employment and attractions where a lot of people want to go than Brighton would be from the comparable destinations in Boston.

There are different levels of "desirable."

My point is only that there is much more to it than picking two houses technically in a city and making a claim about their relative values. You're not wrong that overall, Chicago is less expensive than Boston, but not all parts are. Plus, IL has much higher property taxes, and Chicago has quite a few taxes that Boston doesn't have, as well.
And, unlike Boston, housing prices have gotten more reasonable in the last 15 years in Chicago.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:45 PM

419 posts, read 247,927 times
In terms of salary and house prices, Seattle probably offers the best value especially if you are in tech. The tech salaries are comparable to Boston but you can still buy a nice house for 600k. Although houses prices are getting bid up in the last few years as so many people have been moving there to escape crazy house prices in SF, NYC, Boston

Old 07-25-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
In terms of salary and house prices, Seattle probably offers the best value especially if you are in tech. The tech salaries are comparable to Boston but you can still buy a nice house for 600k. Although houses prices are getting bid up in the last few years as so many people have been moving there to escape crazy house prices in SF, NYC, Boston
Interesting. I have no direct information, but anecdotally, I've heard a lot of people complain about the Seattle housing market.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:19 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,216,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Interesting. I have no direct information, but anecdotally, I've heard a lot of people complain about the Seattle housing market.
Find me a city where no one complains about housing prices. It's all relative.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Find me a city where no one complains about housing prices. It's all relative.
I've heard some recently in San Antonio and Kansas City. (Although I don't find it surprising.)

Old 07-26-2017, 07:21 AM

7,900 posts, read 6,832,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
The city of Chicago is physically much larger than the city of Boston, so "fringe" of the city is not comparable. That location would be much further away from the areas of employment and attractions where a lot of people want to go than Brighton would be from the comparable destinations in Boston.

There are different levels of "desirable."

My point is only that there is much more to it than picking two houses technically in a city and making a claim about their relative values. You're not wrong that overall, Chicago is less expensive than Boston, but not all parts are. Plus, IL has much higher property taxes, and Chicago has quite a few taxes that Boston doesn't have, as well.
And, unlike Boston, housing prices have gotten more reasonable in the last 15 years in Chicago.
Is it not fair to compare downtowns? Or suburbs either? You can compare aspects of different cities. No idea why you can't do it in this case. Not comparing downtown to a suburb or anything.

I think this is a weak argument.

But yes, Chicago is certainly ridiculous when it comes to tax burden. Still, and this is the point many here are missing, it IS considerably more affordable. I don't want to hear about less salary or whatever. How far your dollar goes elsewhere, in 90% of all US cities, you are a lot better off financially. I understand the point about job availability. But the people on this forum likely don't have to worry about that. Also, people who post here thinking about moving typically are saying "I have a job here if I want it", such as this thread. So I think I'm being pretty fair.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:25 AM

32,778 posts, read 22,726,695 times
Quote:
Is it not fair to compare downtowns? Or suburbs either? You can compare aspects of different cities. No idea why you can't do it in this case. Not comparing downtown to a suburb or anything.

I think this is a weak argument.

But yes, Chicago is certainly ridiculous when it comes to tax burden. Still, and this is the point many here are missing, it IS considerably more affordable. I don't want to hear about less salary or whatever. How far your dollar goes elsewhere, in 90% of all US cities, you are a lot better off financially. I understand the point about job availability. But the people on this forum likely don't have to worry about that. Also, people who post here thinking about moving typically are saying "I have a job here if I want it", such as this thread. So I think I'm being pretty fair.

Yes, it's more affordable, again, that is because their economy stinks. If their economy was booming, like Boston, it wouldn't be so affordable. This is fairly simple. Find a booming economy, you will find expensive real estate. Even North Dakota housing went through the roof with their boom.

In 90% of cities, yes, I'd be better off if I earned the same wage and could get a job (of course, most other cities are crummier too than Boston (Chicago is not one of those)).

Old 07-26-2017, 07:38 AM

7,900 posts, read 6,832,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yes, it's more affordable, again, that is because their economy stinks. If their economy was booming, like Boston, it wouldn't be so affordable. This is fairly simple. Find a booming economy, you will find expensive real estate. Even North Dakota housing went through the roof with their boom.

In 90% of cities, yes, I'd be better off if I earned the same wage and could get a job (of course, most other cities are crummier too than Boston (Chicago is not one of those)).
ND has too little housing. Could easily be corrected. Booming economy doesn't HAVE to lead to insanely high prices. Actually, a truly "booming" economy would have more plentiful everything at ever lower prices. Not sure how a boom is really a boom if nobody can afford much. That's another conversation though.

But I do think that there are plenty of other cities that are better than Boston, depending on who you are. Crummier? Maybe. But sometimes Boston feels too bland and "safe" (ever homogenizing culture) these days.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:43 AM

419 posts, read 247,927 times
One missing point is the velocity of the price increase in just the last 5 years. Prices have increased about 30% overall. I'm pretty sure 'most' people's salary did not increase 30% and rates are higher than 5 years ago too.

People had always complained it was expensive, that's always been true but right now it's beyond expensive, it's unattainable unless you are in top 5% salary bracket for good school district
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or