U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 09:17 AM

3,443 posts, read 4,348,222 times

Advertisements

OP...where exactly will you be working?

I think people are assuming you'll be in Brookline, but it's not clear from anything that you've written that this actually the case. As you can see, recommendations are going to depend on both where exactly you're going to work, when you plan to come and go, and how you plan to get there. If you're working near South Station, commuter rail becomes a very reasonable options; if you're in Back Bay this reduces the commuter rail lines that are easy. If you're in the LMA the recommendations will probably change. And if you're in Cambridge then it just gets a lot harder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 07:20 PM

1,923 posts, read 1,067,550 times
Just so you're aware, 100k for a family of five is a blue collar salary around here. You can't live a white collar life with that income.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:47 AM

8,711 posts, read 8,906,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaustinTejas View Post
Actually, I am not going into detail but I do have enough savings for a more than average down payment. I can do anything below 500k with some reasonable arrangement, so that is the line I am looking at.

$500K is probably going to put you in some communities within I-95 and I-495. Not all, but you could get something for $500k there, that will cut your commute to brookline down to about an hour. All depends on what your expectations are for a $500K house.

Utility costs will also vary from town to town. For instance, family of 5, my water bill is $90/quarter, while I have friends paying $900/quarter in a town a few miles from me.

$100K/family of 5, buying a home? I'd say that's going to be a stretch, especially if there are anyh child care costs to take into consideration.

Old 06-09-2017, 02:27 PM

5,015 posts, read 4,826,504 times
tech/bio is big here. That 190 that your field "tops" out at may be far away at what it can top out at here. Many opportunities here for the right people.

I agree with most others who've commented. 100 is low, especially for a family your size. I'm in brookline, 3 bed condo. It's expensive. I do ok (not rich), as does my wife. 1 kid. We're doing ok now. Prices have skyrocketed...we bought maybe 4.5 yrs ago and out place is worth a ton more.

It'll be a risk for you but with a potentially high reward. You can always move here, stay and get experience and "big city" experience with a good org (I assume) and then take a nice step up somewhere in a lower cost of living State. We've been in MA for about 7 yrs. It's been good to us. Only you can make this decision but like others said, 100k isn't a good amount of $ here.

The area does however attract many young people - many. Like I said, there is tons of opportunity, a hot economy, vibrant learning, etc. a lot for a young person to grow and develop. The way they survive is that they don't have 3 kids. And they have roomates. Some live at home. But there is no shortage of young professionals (or hoping to be) here. It's no different than NYC and other places. Boston is the place for professional growth and stimulation. I must say though, it can be completely exhausting.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Old 06-09-2017, 04:12 PM

32,716 posts, read 22,656,169 times
Lets remember that 100k for a household is still way above median household income in metro Boston. Yeah, its tough with three kids, but lets not pretend that it isn't a good salary.

Old 06-09-2017, 04:24 PM

2,769 posts, read 2,209,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Lets remember that 100k for a household is still way above median household income in metro Boston. Yeah, its tough with three kids, but lets not pretend that it isn't a good salary.
It's a good salary for a single person or a couple. It's a survival salary for a family of 5.

Old 06-09-2017, 05:24 PM

418 posts, read 246,786 times
Quote:
It is a good salary, its just not good if you want to live in a top school district (the OP mentioned the most expensive towns Brookline/Newton)

Old 06-09-2017, 06:01 PM

7,852 posts, read 6,805,356 times
I'd love to make 100k/year, sign me up. I'll move.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:40 PM

585 posts, read 289,102 times
Quote:
Lets remember that 100k for a household is still way above median household income in metro Boston.
The constant of drumbeat of don't even think about moving here unless you make $X is pretty overplayed on this forum. I know plenty of families in the area who don't have elite jobs and salaries, yet they manage to make it work.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:01 PM

2,769 posts, read 2,209,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
The constant of drumbeat of don't even think about moving here unless you make $X is pretty overplayed on this forum. I know plenty of families in the area who don't have elite jobs and salaries, yet they manage to make it work.
Yes, they make it work. There's a difference between living and existing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or