U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2017, 05:25 PM

486 posts, read 360,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
In other words, you can actually live off $100k!
Well of course you can, it just won't be the lifestyle one normally expects with six figure income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 09:50 PM

42 posts, read 26,470 times
If anyone cares, I declined the position even when offered a much higher salary than expected. I find the COL in your area simply outrageous and not worth it by most measures. The supposed gains of an intellectual or liberal area to be had if any I found are minimal (I am pretty liberal) and I found myself completely unimpressed in the week I spent there. In Houston, I am already surrounded by top Cancer researchers in the country with actual hands-on evidence of success. I felt that I was being talked up by unhappy snake oil salesman the entire time I was there. I strongly suspect that these costs make people generally unhappy there.

To each their own.

Old 07-15-2017, 04:29 AM

2,769 posts, read 2,209,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaustinTejas View Post
If anyone cares, I declined the position even when offered a much higher salary than expected. I find the COL in your area simply outrageous and not worth it by most measures. The supposed gains of an intellectual or liberal area to be had if any I found are minimal (I am pretty liberal) and I found myself completely unimpressed in the week I spent there. In Houston, I am already surrounded by top Cancer researchers in the country with actual hands-on evidence of success. I felt that I was being talked up by unhappy snake oil salesman the entire time I was there. I strongly suspect that these costs make people generally unhappy there.

To each their own.
You made the right choice. Many of us are only happy here because we have relatives in the area or have moved here before the cost of living got so crazy. At this point when people ask me if they should move to Boston, the answer is usually no.

Old 07-15-2017, 06:48 AM

3,445 posts, read 4,348,222 times
Quote:

To each their own.
I've lived in both metros and prefer Boston. It's. Moot point because this is one of the few places both my wife and I can get good jobs. Houston would work for me, not her. Also my wife would hate Houston.

COL in Boston is about 70% higher than Houston. Housing is 130% higher. Unless you were offered a salary bump in that range, you probably made a wise decision.

Old 07-15-2017, 08:40 AM

7,854 posts, read 6,805,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
You made the right choice. Many of us are only happy here because we have relatives in the area or have moved here before the cost of living got so crazy. At this point when people ask me if they should move to Boston, the answer is usually no.
It gets harder and harder for me to actually recommend anyone move here unless you're under 25 or have a top 20% salary. If that's not you, you can find another place that's much better and more reasonable.

Thanks op for following up. Always interesting to see what people end up doing.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:13 AM

2,769 posts, read 1,571,313 times
Quote:

To each their own.
I am very glad that you told us the outcome, so thank you for that. It sounds like you are happy in Houston and have found an area that suits you. I think you're being a little hard on Boston, though. My husband and I are very happy here and I love being in an intellectual/liberal area, because the area where we moved from was not at all that way.

I don't think people are generally unhappy here, but you are correct that the housing prices are a genuine area of concern. I have a hard time picturing "unhappy snake oil salesman" as trying to get you here with some kind of deception. I think there are a sufficient number of people who are happy to locate here and that Boston has enough to offer that they don't have to lie.

It's certainly not for everyone, and MA is different from TX. You probably made a good decision.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:27 AM

2,769 posts, read 2,209,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I don't think people are generally unhappy here, but you are correct that the housing prices are a genuine area of concern. I have a hard time picturing "unhappy snake oil salesman" as trying to get you here with some kind of deception. I think there are a sufficient number of people who are happy to locate here and that Boston has enough to offer that they don't have to lie.
People who live in Newton are usually happy, because after all they have enough money to live there.

Old 07-15-2017, 10:04 AM

7,952 posts, read 6,706,083 times
Quote:

To each their own.

I find the COL in your area simply outrageous and not worth it by most measures.

I agree.

Some examples: POS homes and their cost:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...-44893#photo21

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...3-11930#photo6

https://www.trulia.com/property/3274...ntree-MA-02184

Last edited by johngolf; 07-15-2017 at 11:28 AM..

Old 07-15-2017, 10:38 AM

2,769 posts, read 1,571,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
People who live in Newton are usually happy, because after all they have enough money to live there.
So your position is that anyone who doesn't live in Newton is unhappy?

Old 07-15-2017, 11:08 AM

3,445 posts, read 4,348,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
So your position is that anyone who doesn't live in Newton is unhappy?
I don't think that was the implication. The logic chain is:

rich people are happy in greater Boston AND you have to be rich to live in newton => people in Newton are happy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or