Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2017, 07:59 AM

23,571 posts, read 18,678,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
No, they might believe it sincerely............ All types out there.
Whole point exactly, let's not make it a crime to have an opinion.

I used to work with a lady who relocated to Houston, and never looked back. I enjoy MA (despite all its faults), but it's also my home. I can totally understand why someone from elsewhere wouldn't, and it doesn't hurt my feelings when they prefer wherever is home to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 08:08 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Whole point exactly, let's not make it a crime to have an opinion.

I used to work with a lady who relocated to Houston, and never looked back. I enjoy MA (despite all its faults), but it's also my home. I can totally understand why someone from elsewhere wouldn't, and it doesn't hurt my feelings when they prefer wherever is home to them.

It doesn't hurt mine either, and I'm glad lots of these people don't come here (esp Houstonites), including the family of my ex; holy guns trucks and drill baby drill types that wouldn't give a dime to the most needy despite going to a fluorescent light riddled "church" weekly.

I'm glad she escaped that life.

But what I do gripe with is people oddly coming to forums of cities they don't live in and never have lived in to talk smack about it. I have no interest in going to Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, etc forums to belittle them, yet there seems to be an odd cohort of people that do enjoy such activities.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:

But what I do gripe with is people oddly coming to forums of cities they don't live in and never have lived in to talk smack about it. I have no interest in going to Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, etc forums to belittle them, yet there seems to be an odd cohort of people that do enjoy such activities.
Except that poster wasn't really talking smack, this poster kind of is though:

Quote:
It doesn't hurt mine either, and I'm glad lots of these people don't come here (esp Houstonites), including the family of my ex; holy guns trucks and drill baby drill types that wouldn't give a dime to the most needy despite going to a fluorescent light riddled "church" weekly.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Except that poster wasn't really talking smack, this poster kind of is though:

Talking smack is fine. Going onto someone else's turf and talking smack, is a very different thing. You notice I don't go to their forum and say it, nor did I say anything of the kind when staying in that concrete cesspool in Texas. When we left I didn't need to either as my gf of the time would rail about it the entire trip back. It was kinda hot.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:25 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,483,047 times
Quote:
Talking smack is fine. Going onto someone else's turf and talking smack, is a very different thing. You notice I don't go to their forum and say it, nor did I say anything of the kind when staying in that concrete cesspool in Texas. When we left I didn't need to either as my gf of the time would rail about it the entire trip back. It was kinda hot.

I didn't perceive the OP's comments as talking smack.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:27 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I didn't perceive the OP's comments as talking smack.
The poster absolutely wasn't. Only made observations about the high cost of living and getting pretty little for it. That's an opinion you can disagree with. But it's not insane to think so. I daresay many of us Boston residents feel the same!

Old 07-17-2017, 08:28 AM

Eh, people can read the same things differently. I read them again, and I'm solid with my opinion.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
You insulted an entire city and its inhabitants. This guy was giving objective reasons as to why he declined the offer. COL, it's not disputed by even the biggest of Boston cheerleaders on this forum. He even acknowledged Texas's faults as well. It's not as though he came on here accusing us all of being a bunch of "pot smoking, flag burning, Obama worshipping, commie Ivy League elitists". Now that would have been low.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
You insulted an entire city and its inhabitants. This guy was giving objective reasons as to why he declined the offer. COL, it's not disputed by even the biggest of Boston cheerleaders on this forum. He even acknowledged Texas's faults as well. It's not as though he came on here accusing us all of being a bunch of "pot smoking, flag burning, Obama worshipping, commie Ivy League elitists". Now that would have been low.

Where in the Houston forum did I do that? Right, I didn't. HUGE DIFFERENCE.

Heck, I didn't insult the all the inhabitants of Houston at all even here. Hyperbole much?

And please, he insulted more than the COL. His complaint was more along the lines it wasn't more like Houston and it would have been better if it was. EXACTLY the opposite of the truth. Which is why it seemed trollish to me. Heck he complained about bike lanes (which are a remedy to congestion and helpful to public safety, anything is better than more paving like they do down in TX), and seemed to insult the quality of the medical professionals on top of it, and then called the people here snake oils salesmen (that's rich, but I guess you don't consider that an insult? LOL) and complained about an indy car race not happening (good, like anyone gave a crud?).

Old 07-17-2017, 08:39 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
The weather alone in Boston is honestly enough so half of all people would never even consider moving here. Especially if you're a Texan.
The weather is the #1 reason why I would never move to Houston. The humidity is some of the worst anywhere.

Quote:
I never been to Houston or Texas, but I just can't imagine wanting to move from there to Boston if I had no family or connections to the area. Maybe only if they doubled or tripled my salary.
This is totally valid. And OP gave some of this in his response. Then he went out of his way to insult the city, and gave what I think is a delusional opinion about people trying to deceptively convince people to move to Boston by hiding its flaws and that the city was in truth pretty awful. It actually struck me as a bit odd in its extremity. I don't really see why the OP would have such hostility - fine, increased COL wasn't sufficiently offset by the increase in salary. But this went beyond that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston