Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2017, 02:27 PM

344 posts, read 335,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I work at an academic medical center, am directly involved in clinical research including oncology research (although am not personally one of the investigators), and I have both a JD and an MPH so I'm pretty sure I have the inside info and education to discuss this.

And OP's phrasing was very odd. If he had said "Hey, there's lots of great research going on here in Houston, I don't need to move to Boston to be a part of that!" I would have wholeheartedly agreed. There's lots of great research happening where I am too, which is not in Boston.

But the comment that there's "actual hands-on success" in Houston as a justification for not wanting to move to Boston definitely implies that is something lacking in Boston. And that is simply an objectively untrue statement. It's not a zero sum game, success in one location doesn't mean there can't be success in other places. As a matter of fact, we do multi-site studies all the time, with locations across the country and across the world, spreading the success.

And yes, I'm speculating because I asked OP to clarify what he meant but he has, at least so far, declined to do so. To clarify, none of this means OP should move to Boston. There are lots of good reasons why it's not the right fit for any number of people. But to imply that it's because of a lack of successful medical research remains a bizarre excuse.

If you were just a JD and not an MPH I would have thought you were me.

The overwhelming majority of onc trials that I have encountered are multi-site trials. That being said, Not every trial is everywhere. Even the big centers, like DF/HCC, MD Anderson, Sloan Kettering, Cleveland and the like while having a lot of overlap, don't have the same portfolio.

The hands-on success comment really irked me too. I mean a 5 minute google search can tell you that the chair of one of the big midostaurin trials (Just got approved as rydapt) was a DFCI doctor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
It still won't cure cancer though just by living near a good cancer center. Chemo is chemo...and the research ideas are obviously passed along and not just kept secret in boston.

I get the convenience of living near a good cancer center if you get cancer. But boston is not the only place to have a good cancer center.
Just wanted to clarify a bit on this as this is information that people often don't realize; this isn't really how oncology works at the clinical trial level. Clinical trials, while often-multisite, aren't everywhere. Many trials only have 2 or 3 sites, and if you don't get treated at one of those sites, you can't be on the trial. Sure you can get treatment 5 years later if it's FDA approved by then (big if), but you'll probably be long gone by then. Also, a lot of stuff that doesn't get approved still shows efficacy for a small percentage of people,so the big centers often have treatments available that are not only available years earlier than other places, but treatments that may never be available in other places.

Another thing to note is that oftentimes trials don't extend to affiliate sites. For instance, you may not be able to go on to a DFCI trial in DFCI New Hampshire.

Call Houston vs. Boston a wash for clinical trials. Even if it is, you have access to way way way more treatment options in Boston than you do in 95% of the country. Chemo isn't just chemo when you get to the clinical trial stage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 03:50 PM

41 posts, read 44,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
agreed.

I love Boston but I don't live there anymore and I have a much better standard of living where I am now (Denver) than I could ever afford in Boston. It's legitimate comment, even criticism, to discuss the fact that Boston is not an affordable place to live.

But I also work in the medical research field, and his statement about Boston not having success in that area was just bizarre.

Now that is not true. I never typed they don't have success in the medical field. If that was the case I would have never visited. I did imply at the very least that they were upseling themselves and diminishing the significance of my local and others. I found that ridiculous, as a public example high earning celebrities often come to my current local when other institutions fail them.

Let me spell it more clearly. I was not sold on the superiority of the MIT/Harvard research industry there relative to Houston or other places in the country. I was told I should consider that when factoring COL. I did, and found it a ridiculous premise.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:57 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Where is cheaper than stop and shop?
market basket is far cheaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaustinTejas View Post
Now that is not true. I never typed they don't have success in the medical field. If that was the case I would have never visited. I did imply at the very least that they were upseling themselves and diminishing the significance of my local and others. I found that ridiculous, as a public example high earning celebrities often come to my current local when other institutions fail them.

Let me spell it more clearly. I was not sold on the superiority of the MIT/Harvard research industry there relative to Houston or other places in the country. I was told I should consider that when factoring COL. I did, and found it a ridiculous premise.
I think they would be idiots if they didn't try to use it in their recruiting. It's, undoubtedly, more effective when speaking to a candidate from say, Lincoln NE than from Houston, and it didn't work on you, but its not ridiculous.

When I was interviewing for a job in SF they tried to use the superiority of their field in the region to Boston as a recruiting tool too. I took the job because it was a step in the direction I wanted to go, but that claim was lost on me, it might have worked for others, but not me coming from Boston. I wasn't going to get offended over it. They were using their pitch.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:59 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,320,773 times
I didnt think of clinical trials but not everyone is eligible or able to participate.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:16 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
I'd rather have cancer in Boston than Houston, myself. Then again, the leading minds for my type of cancer both left MD Anderson for either Dana Farber or MSK (NYC is still a viable trip for specialized treatment from Boston), so...

While front-line treatment cured me, my waiting room at Dana-Farber was filled with people from other parts of the country who couldn't get the treatment they needed there. I'm sure that's also true of MD Anderson, but the combination of both Dana-Farber AND MGH, as well as Harvard, MIT, BU, and more labs and tons of biotech/pharma startups is great here. There are lots of opportunities as a patient to get involved in corporate patient advocacy here, which makes me feel like a more empowered survivor.

YMMV, obviously, but having access to clinical trials and the best doctors in the world matter. Even at the local hospital where I actually got day to day treatment, my whole medical team was Ivy+ trained doctors who did residencies at Dana Farber or MGH. I don't mind being elitist about my medical team.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:19 PM

41 posts, read 44,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I'd rather have cancer in Boston than Houston, myself. Then again, the leading minds for my type of cancer both left MD Anderson for either Dana Farber or MSK (NYC is still a viable trip for specialized treatment from Boston), so...

While front-line treatment cured me, my waiting room at Dana-Farber was filled with people from other parts of the country who couldn't get the treatment they needed there. I'm sure that's also true of MD Anderson, but the combination of both Dana-Farber AND MGH, as well as Harvard, MIT, BU, and more labs and tons of biotech/pharma startups is great here. There are lots of opportunities as a patient to get involved in corporate patient advocacy here, which makes me feel like a more empowered survivor.

YMMV, obviously, but having access to clinical trials and the best doctors in the world matter. Even at the local hospital where I actually got day to day treatment, my whole medical team was Ivy+ trained doctors who did residencies at Dana Farber or MGH. I don't mind being elitist about my medical team.
That is great to hear and stories like that are some of the reasons why I even bothered to interview. However, as I already said. I would be hard pressed to manage my grocery list and have a roof over my head let alone survive cancer there. For some it works fine, but I struggle to rationalize how anyone would want to move their family in unless they had a 7 figure estate coming with them.

Then there is this completely subjective rating.
Best Hospitals for Cancer | US News Best Hospitals

Old 07-19-2017, 05:32 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
All this pissing contest about hospitals in Boston is part of the reason people don't like it.

Old 07-19-2017, 05:51 AM

2,079 posts, read 1,124,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
All this pissing contest about hospitals in Boston is part of the reason people don't like it.
Bostonians say prostate.

Houstonians say prostrate.

Which pisses further?

Old 07-24-2017, 07:43 AM

880 posts, read 818,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
People who live in Newton are usually happy, because after all they have enough money to live there.
I wonder how happy most people would be to live in a 3br 1600 sqft shack with 2 kids and a 700k mortgage and both parents working making 100k each just to make ends meet.

Well, I guess at least the kids will be happy in a great school and the parents get to say they live in Newton.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:45 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
1600 sq ft is a shack????!!!!????!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston