U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 06:35 AM

2,066 posts, read 2,315,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
So I really like it here. If I were to transfer my job up here in 1-2 years...i would be making (up here) 43k a year, plus the 5k annual bonus and annual raise...nearly 50k. Is that enough to live on? My lady would come with, she would make about 33k a year. I'd really like to make this happen. No idea what a young couple should be making to live relatively comfortably though.
Wow, anything less than $100K would be very challenging for the areas you're looking at. You may want to consider areas with cheaper rentals, within the I-95/128 belt, but still easily accessible to Cambridge/Boston whenever you feel like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 08:39 AM

7,864 posts, read 6,815,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
It all depends on your lifestyle. With just two people you could easily live on that, although you won't live in neighborhoods that look like the ones you visited.
And even if you did live in those neighborhoods, it's really really really not worth it to do so. Young couples/young people in general tend to not save nearly enough money. It's really something you need to start NOW (probably do more of it if you've started).

So if the OP did move to Boston, it would be in a non central neighborhood. Nothing wrong with that, that's where I live. But you will not share in the glitz of Back Bay and Beacon Hill. Over time, you will come to care less and less about how nice looking some of those neighborhoods are and how quaint it all is.

I think if you like Raleigh fine enough, then stay there. Moving to Boston (or anywhere else) won't make you happier. In fact, it likely only adds stress (financial mostly, but also trying to make new friends in a city that is rather closed-off socially, dealing with the T at times, winters, etc).

I think being in Cambridge for two weeks in June is likely to make anyone really like Boston. Hey I'm sitting at my desk in Cambridge now, it's great. But every day life is kinda a grind, no matter where you live.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:24 AM

1,078 posts, read 434,400 times
I would say 2 of you could live on that. BUT
You came here in June. For vacation. At that salary, you would not live anywhere near these locations you were photographing.
Try coming here in February and commuting for a week from 20 miles outside the city. This is the part that people always gripe about.
We have a long winter here. And not just the weather gets cold.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:46 AM

2,533 posts, read 2,696,148 times
I realize I won't be living in those types of neighborhoods on that amount, and that's fine. Cambridge would be tricky because it seems to be the most expensive. What about Boston itself or Somerville? Would mostly be walking and taking public transportation. I do like Raleigh, but I've always been a city guy more than a suburb guy, girlfriend as well. I'm actually a huge weather geek, and absolutely love snow storms. When I lived in NJ and NY I looked forward to commuting in it. I don't mind sitting in traffic at all (weird, right?). Also, I have lots of family up here and so does she. No family in NC.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:05 AM

32,730 posts, read 22,687,383 times
Somerville isn't any cheaper than Cambridge anymore for the most part. Nor are the decent parts of Boston.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:23 AM

2,533 posts, read 2,696,148 times
Okay. Well, my co-workers are all living up here some in Cambridge some in Boston some in Somerville, so I don't see why I wouldn't be able to find a reasonably priced 1br apartment with a reasonable commute to east Cambridge.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:33 AM

1,925 posts, read 1,071,445 times
Quote:
Okay. Well, my co-workers are all living up here some in Cambridge some in Boston some in Somerville, so I don't see why I wouldn't be able to find a reasonably priced 1br apartment with a reasonable commute to east Cambridge.
1BR apartments aren't that common in Boston. Most of the triple deckers have 2-3 bedrooms in each floor. You could get a new build though those are real expensive.

Last edited by tysmith95; 06-22-2017 at 11:00 AM..

Old 06-22-2017, 10:33 AM

4,109 posts, read 1,720,652 times
Quote:
On 43k? Sorry. Not a chance.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:32 AM

1,078 posts, read 434,400 times
Quote:
If you were to find a one bedroom in those areas I would assume it would eat up close to 70% of your Gross.
Can it be done. Probably. Depends how you want to live.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:39 AM

32,730 posts, read 22,687,383 times
East Cambridge might be one of your better bets, actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or