U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 12:59 PM

2,535 posts, read 2,705,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
1BR apartments aren't that common in Boston. Most of the triple deckers have 2-3 bedrooms in each floor. You could get a new build though those are real expensive.
Good to know, we would definitely want roommates for our first few. My lady would [should] eventually get a better job being that she has a BA in radio and TV communications with emphasis in social media and PR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
On 43k? Sorry. Not a chance.
I don't know what to tell you. They work here, they live here. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
If you were to find a one bedroom in those areas I would assume it would eat up close to 70% of your Gross.
Can it be done. Probably. Depends how you want to live.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
East Cambridge might be one of your better bets, actually.
Also good to know. 1 bedroom isn't preferable, we would like roommates. Just assumed that like most cities a 1br would be cheapest options other than a studio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 01:34 PM

1,119 posts, read 444,257 times
Cheaper option would be to find a multi bedroom and split it with another couple. 2 bdrm split 4ways.
I have known people in this situation and they were paying something like 550 out of each pocket.

Old 06-22-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Cheaper option would be to find a multi bedroom and split it with another couple. 2 bdrm split 4ways.
I have known people in this situation and they were paying something like 550 out of each pocket.
Nah that's a bit extreme. Privacy is a must lol. Our combined salary will be 80k a year, so we don't need to be doing all that. We can comfortably afford up to 1500ish, (less than 1/3 gross) and easily afford 1000, 1100, 1200 which has many options on Facebook and Craigslist. We'll see. Just a possibility for the future. We like Raleigh but would like something bigger and closer to family.

Old 06-22-2017, 02:25 PM

1,119 posts, read 444,257 times
You are finding one bedrooms in E. Cambridge in that price range?
I find that a little hard to believe.

Old 06-22-2017, 02:27 PM

32,825 posts, read 22,768,198 times
Eh, he probably means a room.

I was living in East Somerville just outside Union Sq for $1200 up until March. And know others in the area with nicer places for less to this day. So it is possible.

Old 06-22-2017, 02:33 PM

Reread. 1 room in a 3br+ unit. Roommates, like I said in my previous post. Yes, there are many rooms for rent in Cambridge and Boston in that price range.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:48 PM

7,915 posts, read 6,848,399 times
I don't know man. Paying 1500 for a room and then living with two other people sounds pretty terrible to me, especially if you're living with your girlfriend. I mean, just think about how much money that is. 18000 per year. 18000!!

One bedrooms are extremely expensive. You'd be lucky to find one for 1500 that wasn't a dump. Heck studios in my area (real grungey ones) run for 1100. The new buildings going up not far from me have one bedrooms for 3k. It's just insane.

Minus some connection to Boston, id stay put. I moved here at 22, I'm 27 now. I think it's a good move at 22. But I def wouldn't move here at 27. Your quality of life absolutely will drop and you'll pay more for that privilege. I came here right after college, so I started from nothing, things have only gotten better here, but I didn't have an established job or a girlfriend when I moved.

Don't take this as trying to crush your dreams. I'm just trying to be as honest and helpful as I can.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I don't know man. Paying 1500 for a room and then living with two other people sounds pretty terrible to me, especially if you're living with your girlfriend. I mean, just think about how much money that is. 18000 per year. 18000!!

One bedrooms are extremely expensive. You'd be lucky to find one for 1500 that wasn't a dump. Heck studios in my area (real grungey ones) run for 1100. The new buildings going up not far from me have one bedrooms for 3k. It's just insane.

Minus some connection to Boston, id stay put. I moved here at 22, I'm 27 now. I think it's a good move at 22. But I def wouldn't move here at 27. Your quality of life absolutely will drop and you'll pay more for that privilege. I came here right after college, so I started from nothing, things have only gotten better here, but I didn't have an established job or a girlfriend when I moved.

Don't take this as trying to crush your dreams. I'm just trying to be as honest and helpful as I can.
I don't know man, I think 1500 is pretty fair and we can afford more than that, we just also want to save. No car payments, no student loans, no kids, etc...we live with a roommate right now in Raleigh and pay 650 for our own half of a unit in a brand new complex, with a private hallway bathroom and large room. Are we expecting that in Boston? Hell to the nah. Idk why yall keep harping on this - we know it's more expensive up here, and we know we arent finding brand new trendy construction for 1200 a month. We arent uneducated 13 year olds, so i ask that you all please stop acting as though that's the case. Sure we'd have a much smaller space and be paying twice as much for it, but our salaries would be higher and we would have a huge metro in our backyard. Worth it. I've lived in NYC and LA, Boston really won't be that difficult. We have more connections to Boston than Raleigh- I have my grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins all in greater Boston...also more aunts uncles and cousins in NY. Girlfriend has lots of family in Boston and Worcester. We were both born in Massachusetts. Neither of us has family in Raleigh. We would be 27 by the time we move up here, but luckily 27 is still super young right now we are saving roughly $1000 a month, and annually i will receive a $4500+ bonus check.

Not trying to go against everything anyone says, but I also know these type of posts. We have the same type of posters in the Raleigh forum that say you can't find a place for less than 1000 a month, which is just straight false. Every forum has em. Seen a few straight up incorrect, false posts in this thread...from locals. This forum is weird.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:46 PM

7,915 posts, read 6,848,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
I don't know man, I think 1500 is pretty fair and we can afford more than that, we just also want to save. No car payments, no student loans, no kids, etc...we live with a roommate right now in Raleigh and pay 650 for our own half of a unit in a brand new complex, with a private hallway bathroom and large room. Are we expecting that in Boston? Hell to the nah. Idk why yall keep harping on this - we know it's more expensive up here, and we know we arent finding brand new trendy construction for 1200 a month. We arent uneducated 13 year olds, so i ask that you all please stop acting as though that's the case. Sure we'd have a much smaller space and be paying twice as much for it, but our salaries would be higher and we would have a huge metro in our backyard. Worth it. I've lived in NYC and LA, Boston really won't be that difficult. We have more connections to Boston than Raleigh- I have my grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins all in greater Boston...also more aunts uncles and cousins in NY. Girlfriend has lots of family in Boston and Worcester. We were both born in Massachusetts. Neither of us has family in Raleigh. We would be 27 by the time we move up here, but luckily 27 is still super young right now we are saving roughly $1000 a month, and annually i will receive a $4500+ bonus check.

Not trying to go against everything anyone says, but I also know these type of posts. We have the same type of posters in the Raleigh forum that say you can't find a place for less than 1000 a month, which is just straight false. Every forum has em. Seen a few straight up incorrect, false posts in this thread...from locals. This forum is weird.
I'm not being a downer on purpose, I just think you have a rosy picture in your head from an enchanting summer evening in Cambridge.

1500 is a ton of money. To live with multiple roommates. And jist because younsee that listed doesnt mean youll get it. Not at all.

It just doesn't make sense financially. Your salary is well below the median here. If you ever want kids or a car, you won't be able to afford either for years. You can try to act like I and others are just these "forum types" if you want, but it doesn't help. Your call though, obviously many people live here and so ok. I think you underrate the difficulties in favor of an ideal though.

I guess I don't know why you're seeking if you have so much family here too. Then making it seem like we don't really know what we're talking about? Again, do whay you want but what people have said is not a lie.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:35 PM

1,944 posts, read 1,081,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post

For some people on here their standard of living includes a house with a yard in Brookline. There was a poster a few weeks ago complaining about how no one can live on a 100k salary here. No one can live on 100k in the most expensive town in the state with kids, however if one adjust their expectations living in Boston can be rewarding. Don't let the naysayers sway you.

The OP says they want to live in a small place with roommates with a 1500k budget. That's totally reasonable, I don't know why you all are knocking him/her. You could even move to a place like Malden or Quincy and be able to afford your own place at that budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or