U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 06:30 AM

32,716 posts, read 22,666,022 times

Advertisements

Shoot, the $1200-1300 1 bedroom Union Sq apartments I know are faaaaar from dumps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 06:31 AM

7,855 posts, read 6,808,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
For some people on here their standard of living includes a house with a yard in Brookline. There was a poster a few weeks ago complaining about how no one can live on a 100k salary here. No one can live on 100k in the most expensive town in the state with kids, however if one adjust their expectations living in Boston can be rewarding. Don't let the naysayers sway you.

The OP says they want to live in a small place with roommates with a 1500k budget. That's totally reasonable, I don't know why you all are knocking him/her. You could even move to a place like Malden or Quincy and be able to afford your own place at that budget.
Malden and Quincy are not Cambridge and the North end, not by a long shot. I'm just saying this op has no idea what Boston actually is.

Also. I think if you want to spend 1500 per month to live with roommates you're a fool. This is why this city is so expensive, young kids with no concept of money.

Look I have roommates, I don't even pay 600 in brighton. Of course cheaper housing is out there. I've been pretty vocal about this on here. I'm just saying would I leave my job and move a thousand miles with my girlfriend to see quality of life go down, add two roommates, etc? No. Just seems naive and regrettable after 4 months.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Shoot, the $1200-1300 1 bedroom Union Sq apartments I know are faaaaar from dumps.
I was talking about 1 bedroom apartments not one bedroom in an apartment.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I was talking about 1 bedroom apartments not one bedroom in an apartment.

So am I. I was living in a 1 bedroom apartment ($1200) until I moved and know several other people paying +/- $100 that for nice places in Union Sq area. Some with utilities included.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:39 AM

Quote:
So am I. I was living in a 1 bedroom apartment ($1200) until I moved and know several other people paying +/- $100 that for nice places in Union Sq area. Some with utilities included.
I inferred from your previous post about op looking for a room not an entire apartment that you were talking about just a room.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:41 AM

Quote:
I inferred from your previous post about op looking for a room not an entire apartment that you were talking about just a room.

I was responding to your $1500 one bedrooms are mostly dumps post.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:43 AM

Quote:
I was responding to your $1500 one bedrooms are mostly dumps post.
Well going by my experience and taking tours at face value then, id say there are some that are decent and other that are not. The price trend is headed the wrong way though. Ive seen sone absolutely insane 1 bedroom rents out there.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:51 AM

2,064 posts, read 2,314,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
I don't know man, I think 1500 is pretty fair and we can afford more than that, we just also want to save. No car payments, no student loans, no kids, etc...we live with a roommate right now in Raleigh and pay 650 for our own half of a unit in a brand new complex, with a private hallway bathroom and large room. Are we expecting that in Boston? Hell to the nah. Idk why yall keep harping on this - we know it's more expensive up here, and we know we arent finding brand new trendy construction for 1200 a month. We arent uneducated 13 year olds, so i ask that you all please stop acting as though that's the case. Sure we'd have a much smaller space and be paying twice as much for it, but our salaries would be higher and we would have a huge metro in our backyard. Worth it. I've lived in NYC and LA, Boston really won't be that difficult. We have more connections to Boston than Raleigh- I have my grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins all in greater Boston...also more aunts uncles and cousins in NY. Girlfriend has lots of family in Boston and Worcester. We were both born in Massachusetts. Neither of us has family in Raleigh. We would be 27 by the time we move up here, but luckily 27 is still super young right now we are saving roughly $1000 a month, and annually i will receive a $4500+ bonus check.

Not trying to go against everything anyone says, but I also know these type of posts. We have the same type of posters in the Raleigh forum that say you can't find a place for less than 1000 a month, which is just straight false. Every forum has em. Seen a few straight up incorrect, false posts in this thread...from locals. This forum is weird.
It sounds like you have a pretty realistic idea of the pros/cons of moving up here. In my view given the expensive nature of this area, you're opting into an overall lifestyle, ambience, and political climate, which is hard to put a price tag on. If you're into all that, it may be well worth the sacrifice, especially if you're advancing your career and (maybe) gaining some real estate appreciation down the road.

There's no question that opportunities abound in this area. Good luck in your decision.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Well going by my experience and taking tours at face value then, id say there are some that are decent and other that are not. The price trend is headed the wrong way though. Ive seen sone absolutely insane 1 bedroom rents out there.

Heading the wrong way? The only way things will get cheaper is if the economy here completely tanks. I don't wish that on anyone.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Heading the wrong way? The only way things will get cheaper is if the economy here completely tanks. I don't wish that on anyone.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/business...BnM/story.html

Edit: just posting this article. Prices down overall very slightly, but up rather a lot in some areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or