U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-07-2017, 08:14 AM
 
3,748 posts, read 1,341,107 times
Reputation: 3385

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
So from what I can tell, you're anti Southie prejudices are based on dated and inaccurate information.

This thread is about the old Southie culture dying out. It is therefore implied that it refers to the past. As for it being prejudiced, that is not the case when it is based on real events.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-07-2017, 01:43 PM
 
Location: a bar
2,545 posts, read 4,853,702 times
Reputation: 2588
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
This thread is about the old Southie culture dying out. It is therefore implied that it refers to the past. As for it being prejudiced, that is not the case when it is based on real events.

I understand, but I don't believe your perception of old Southie, and the culture, is particularly accurate. It's like you're getting all your knowledge of the neighborhood from old Globe articles and crime dramas. The people you're describing make up a small percentage of a percentage of the population. Even 30 years ago.


There are a lot of good, hardworking people in Southie. Always have been. Unfortunately good, hardworking people don't make for good screenplays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2017, 07:41 AM
 
13,758 posts, read 4,072,270 times
Reputation: 5019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
I understand, but I don't believe your perception of old Southie, and the culture, is particularly accurate. It's like you're getting all your knowledge of the neighborhood from old Globe articles and crime dramas.
are a. There lot of good, hardworking people in Southie. Always have been.
NO.It's very accurate,that "Culture" he describe is and was right on the money,is it as "prevalent" as it was in the old days ,no, but make no mistake that "culture" that was described was not a small percentage of people in South Boston back during the 60's,70's and 80's it was a major majority.I agree with your statement about the "hard working people of South Boston"but it still does not stop the well earned reputation South Boston has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2017, 08:30 AM
 
3,785 posts, read 2,794,286 times
Reputation: 5066
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Is "South Boston & Southie" culture dying out??!!

One can only hope it is.
+1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2017, 06:41 AM
 
3,268 posts, read 2,193,284 times
Reputation: 2682
I know of one of these so called old southie types. He's been arrested numerous times most recently in 2014. He has a pretty girlfriend who has done well in life with a good job. It seems like these types of men have no problem getting women. I guess it's the bad boy thing...or women just love goodwill hunting.

Last edited by Whatsnext75; 07-10-2017 at 06:41 AM.. Reason: Added
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2017, 06:06 AM
 
373 posts, read 485,771 times
Reputation: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
I understand, but I don't believe your perception of old Southie, and the culture, is particularly accurate. It's like you're getting all your knowledge of the neighborhood from old Globe articles and crime dramas. The people you're describing make up a small percentage of a percentage of the population. Even 30 years ago.


There are a lot of good, hardworking people in Southie. Always have been. Unfortunately good, hardworking people don't make for good screenplays.
Spot-on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2017, 06:09 AM
 
373 posts, read 485,771 times
Reputation: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
NO.It's very accurate,that "Culture" he describe is and was right on the money,is it as "prevalent" as it was in the old days ,no, but make no mistake that "culture" that was described was not a small percentage of people in South Boston back during the 60's,70's and 80's it was a major majority.I agree with your statement about the "hard working people of South Boston"but it still does not stop the well earned reputation South Boston has.
Only a few individuals kept Whitey on the loose. It was not the mass of society hiding him and protecting him. They were not prosecuting, investigating, and enforcing the law. It wasn't a malaise in society that protected Whitey. It was only a few select individuals.

When looking at the properties just consider that the economy was horrendous. Plymouth Co was one of the poorest counties in the country for many decades. South Boston was in a poor environment.

Now, we have a large percentage of upper middle class folks living in Massachusetts due to the one of the lowest income tax rates in the country and a pro-business climate. This distorts the perception, because things changed radically.

South Boston was not atypical. The population was just like the ones found in Buffalo, Detroit, Chicago, etc.

Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2017, 02:06 PM
 
13,758 posts, read 4,072,270 times
Reputation: 5019
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1ey View Post
Only a few individuals kept Whitey on the loose. It was not the mass of society hiding him and protecting him. They were not prosecuting, investigating, and enforcing the law. It wasn't a malaise in society that protected Whitey. It was only a few select individuals.

When looking at the properties just consider that the economy was horrendous. Plymouth Co was one of the poorest counties in the country for many decades. South Boston was in a poor environment.

Now, we have a large percentage of upper middle class folks living in Massachusetts due to the one of the lowest income tax rates in the country and a pro-business climate. This distorts the perception, because things changed radically.

South Boston was not atypical. The population was just like the ones found in Buffalo, Detroit, Chicago, etc.

Bill
You sound like you got your info from a movie.I got mine by being in Southie in the 70's,we aren't talking about Detroit or Buffalo or Chicago we are talking South Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2017, 08:46 AM
 
Location: Boston
1,106 posts, read 852,777 times
Reputation: 1171
Speaking in behalf of the generation of African Americans before me:

Southie=Insecure, Corny, Uneducated, untalented, poor white folk. Roxbury culture >>>Southie culture.

Blah blah religion blah blah Ireland, blah blah honor, blah blah neighborhood schools. Whatever. Every moment I spend in Southie I still can't wait to get out knowing the past as a racist cesspool and it's present as a characterless, homogenous gentrified latte-land with a few black and brown folks regulated to public housing. Southie pride, oh please.

I'd rather spend all my days on Humboldt Ave. Where actual Bostonians live, and don't discrimnate based off of color (or at least don't hilurk epithets and rocks, and scribble graffiti aimed at people who don't look like them).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2017, 09:28 AM
 
Location: a bar
2,545 posts, read 4,853,702 times
Reputation: 2588
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Southie=Insecure, Corny, Uneducated, untalented, poor white folk.
Call us what you want, our property values keep doubling, and we're laughing all the way to the bank. $$$$
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top