Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 12:32 PM

9,778 posts, read 7,034,824 times

Advertisements

These people all left:

https://bosguydotcom.files.wordpress...ng?w=500&h=354

once this started to happen:

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/G...65799_9298.gif

and once a Charcuterie opened.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-21-2017 at 01:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 03:03 PM

2,025 posts, read 1,073,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
There is literally only one known culture (traditional Inuit) that hasn't/doesn't use recreational drugs. They're one of, besides sex, the most human things to do (though some other animals do as well).
That is the funniest post I've read in a long time. I can't vouch for Alaskan Inuit communities but in Canada, drugs are rampant.In Montreal, in a downtown neighborhood where I live, Inuits have drop in centers and social services for students and folks coming down for hospital stays, etc...

In the past 15 years the transient population coming down from the territory of Nunavik in Northern Quebec has increased quite a lot. Many transient folk are addicted and panhandling is endemic around Cabot Square in the western part of downtown. The transit authority demolished half of a large subway entrance building (Atwater Metro)because of repeated violence in a recessed part of the station. I witness fights and addicted behavior daily here on the part of many Inuits. There is a very playful and innocent but also unbounded set of values in the culture that is also wickedly self destructive when compounded with the imposition of our social welfare mess upon it.

When my dad was hospitalized 20 yrs ago, ghere was a young Inuit guy in his twenties in the same room who had just been shot in the back by a friend after a drunken night on the tundra. He didn't know it then, but all of us around him were told he would be paralyzed below the waist. It was a common occurence according to the medical team at Montreal General Hospital

Old 06-22-2017, 07:50 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,364,636 times
Suburbs South of Boston now have town sponsored booze tasting events.

*LOLOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wror View Post

Nothing says South Boston has arrived than that.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Southie has changed along with the Irish American population, it's no longer a ghetto.
*Southie was a ghetto at one time?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
I think that the Irish are almost fully assimilated into American culture. Socioeconomically they are no longer poorer then the rest of the whites. In fact they make more as a group then the average American. Southie has changed along with the Irish American population, it's no longer a ghetto.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
WHY do people always focus so much on the culture that was south boston?
*I'm focused, because I'm not from south Boston, but from West Baltimore (The Wire)! I'm trying to get a feel and fact on what's happening in some of these famous urban neighborhoods.

An honest question. What is Southie culture per se?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
WHY do people always focus so much on the culture that was south boston? That culture in that location has been dying out for a looong time. In 1999 my cousins who were both recent Penn grads bought a condo in southie for not a low price. They wouldnt have bought it if the area were filled with thugs.

I do think that culture was pushed to dorchester and it seems to be dying out there as well. When people go to college and work profressional jobs they just become different people.

There are definitely now other cultures who need to work on fixing themselves.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:21 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,212,755 times
The Southie "culture" of insular lower class, drinking, fighting Irish Americans has been dead since the 90s. Their children have evolved, and so has Southie.

Old 06-23-2017, 08:52 AM

317 posts, read 427,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wror View Post

Nothing says South Boston has arrived than that.

I'm pretty sure every town has multiple booze tasting events. Maybe its wine, maybe it's craft beer, but I don't think anything is 'Southie' about this.

Old 06-23-2017, 08:59 AM

1,891 posts, read 1,375,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
*Southie was a ghetto at one time?!
Yes. Read All Souls by Michael Patrick MacDonald for a glimpse into this past, centered around the Old Colony housing projects.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:29 AM

14,460 posts, read 11,201,830 times
Good riddance.

That "enclave" has given Boston a bad rap that will take several more generations to rid itself of.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:11 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,212,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Yes. Read All Souls by Michael Patrick MacDonald for a glimpse into this past, centered around the Old Colony housing projects.
AWESOME book! Very illustrative of the times! A must read!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston