U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 09:50 AM

5,292 posts, read 5,272,940 times

Advertisements

This is picked up from another thread and I thought this would be an interesting topic for discussion. Many of us can witness was is happening to many urban cities around the country; transition and gentrification! With expressing this, what is too become of large ethnic neighborhoods like South Boston and its communities?! How about the Little Italys in New York, Philly and Baltimore? Are these communities dying out?!

Interested in your thoughts...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2017, 11:29 AM

7,854 posts, read 6,805,356 times
Not all culture is necessarily worth preserving.

Also, people are so selective about when they get outraged by ethnic neighborhoods changing. What were little Italy neighborhoods for the 200 years prior to Italians arriving? Change always happens. Don't get too sentimentally attached. I'm glad the world isn't so stagnant and boring personally. That's not to say I don't like enclaves, but let's just be real: they are not and never have been, nor should they be, permanent.

Old 06-18-2017, 12:32 PM

Very solid points!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post

Also, people are so selective about when they get outraged by ethnic neighborhoods changing. What were little Italy neighborhoods for the 200 years prior to Italians arriving? Change always happens. Don't get too sentimentally attached. I'm glad the world isn't so stagnant and boring personally. That's not to say I don't like enclaves, but let's just be real: they are not and never have been, nor should they be, permanent.

Old 06-18-2017, 03:09 PM

486 posts, read 360,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post

All trash needs to be broomed out, be it Southie trash or Roxbury trash.

Old 06-18-2017, 04:23 PM

457 posts, read 278,669 times
South Boston has been moving to the South Shore and Canton and Easton areas for about 20 years now. Bringing their culture of recreational drugs and alcohol with them into these areas.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:34 PM

3,935 posts, read 3,845,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wror View Post
South Boston has been moving to the South Shore and Canton and Easton areas for about 20 years now. Bringing their culture of recreational drugs and alcohol with them into these areas.
I can avouch for that having lives in the south shore for 20+ years.

How the South Shore became the Irish Riviera - The Boston Globe

Immigration tends to come in waves. Some of it displays others. I recommend the book Next American Nation as it reflects changes in immigration with time.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:04 AM

There goes the neighborhood I presume?!! Lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wror View Post

Old 06-19-2017, 06:19 AM

457 posts, read 278,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
There goes the neighborhood I presume?!! Lol!
Suburbs South of Boston now have town sponsored booze tasting events.

Nothing says South Boston has arrived than that.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:43 AM

3,268 posts, read 2,193,284 times
WHY do people always focus so much on the culture that was south boston? That culture in that location has been dying out for a looong time. In 1999 my cousins who were both recent Penn grads bought a condo in southie for not a low price. They wouldnt have bought it if the area were filled with thugs.

I do think that culture was pushed to dorchester and it seems to be dying out there as well. When people go to college and work profressional jobs they just become different people.

There are definitely now other cultures who need to work on fixing themselves.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:54 AM

1,106 posts, read 852,777 times
I was born in 1994 and don't think I've met more han 3 kids from 'southie' who fit the stereotype. Might as well be ancient history. Definitely at least a generation ago..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or