U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 07:51 AM

7,339 posts, read 15,315,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider21 View Post
Boy was Boston ugly back in those pics, Jesus
I COMPLETELY disagree. I wish we still had that kind of cohesive, dense urban core. And the pockets of what's in those photos that still exist (think: North End, Faneuil Hall, and the Blackstone Block) are considered by most to be among the most appealing, attractive areas in Boston. Would you really prefer City Hall Plaza, the current West End/MGH, State Services Center/Hurley Building, and North Station to what existed in those locations and is visible in these photos? I sure wouldn't. And while the Greenway is a major improvement over the elevated Central Artery, I'd still prefer the unbroken urban core that existed before that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 08:38 AM

1,692 posts, read 3,215,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I COMPLETELY disagree. I wish we still had that kind of cohesive, dense urban core. And the pockets of what's in those photos that still exist (think: North End, Faneuil Hall, and the Blackstone Block) are considered by most to be among the most appealing, attractive areas in Boston. Would you really prefer City Hall Plaza, the current West End/MGH, State Services Center/Hurley Building, and North Station to what existed in those locations and is visible in these photos? I sure wouldn't. And while the Greenway is a major improvement over the elevated Central Artery, I'd still prefer the unbroken urban core that existed before that.
Hurley could be great if handled more imaginatively. Its powerful about sculptural qualities dissolve because of all the wide streets surrounding it. If you came upon it from within a thicket of dense streets that burst into a concentrated open space with the Hurley at the edge it could be much more aesthetically exciting. City Hall is a bit like that on the State Street/Washington "mall" side but, of course, too open on its other sides.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:37 AM

1,335 posts, read 945,529 times
Quote:
I'm sure the street level scenery was bit more charming.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:44 AM

1,931 posts, read 1,072,703 times
Quote:
Totally disagree. It looked more European and charming back then.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:03 PM

7,001 posts, read 6,711,305 times
Quote:
Probably because they were in black and white. I'm sure on the street level it looked nicer, but then again there would have been a lot of soot and other filth back in those days. People forget how much cleaner vehicle emissions and other pollutants are today compared with a few decades ago. One of the reasons cities have become more desirable and in general look nicer now.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:12 PM

7,339 posts, read 15,315,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Hurley could be great if handled more imaginatively. Its powerful about sculptural qualities dissolve because of all the wide streets surrounding it. If you came upon it from within a thicket of dense streets that burst into a concentrated open space with the Hurley at the edge it could be much more aesthetically exciting. City Hall is a bit like that on the State Street/Washington "mall" side but, of course, too open on its other sides.
It could be better. Surrounded by density, the Merrimack lot converted to park/plaza (as originally intended), and modified to include ground level retail along Staniford and Merrimack would help. I also think the block should be divided (it's too massive right now). You could almost run Bullfinch Pl through the plaza and and bissect the Hurley and the Lindemann segments of the building to break up the megablock and allow pedestrians and vehicles to pass through. Part of the problem is neighbors. I agree if you had dense streets surrounding it, it would work. But you don't. You have the West End towers, the O'Neill building, 50 Stanford (and behind that, the park-esque West End), Courthouse, and Gov't Center garage (as well as some smaller surface lots). So in theory I agree, but a lot needs to be done to the building and area.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:18 PM

8,730 posts, read 8,940,444 times
I have some more pics saved on a drive. Given the OP hasn't returned, i'll hijack the thread and post some more tomorrow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or