U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 08:11 PM

4 posts, read 3,069 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating to Boston for a new job and having been perusing the net for apartments; however, I know little about the areas that I'm looking in. Complete shot in the dark, but is there much of a young black professional crowd in the city? I've lived in NYC, DC and Atlanta and it's very easy to find young black professionals in those cities, but from what I hear, that likely won't be the case in Boston.

I'd prefer to live in a neighborhood with a number of diverse young (25-35) professionals (black, latino, asain, white, arab, etc all mixed in). I understand this is hard to achieve in most cities and would be more than happy with a neighborhood wherein even just a tenth of its residents are working professional minorities. My budget is around 2200 a month.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 08:20 PM

1,933 posts, read 1,074,088 times
Jamaica Plain would be a good option. You should be able to find a place for 2200 a month and it has some diversity.

East Boston would be another good option. It's more Hispanic rather than black but still diverse. I'd look at the area called Jeffries Point.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Jamaica Plain would be a good option. You should be able to find a place for 2200 a month and it has some diversity.

East Boston would be another good option. It's more Hispanic rather than black but still diverse. I'd look at the area called Jeffries Point.
Very helpful, thank you!

Old 06-21-2017, 09:09 PM

67 posts, read 42,396 times
Yes I was also going to recommend Jamaica Plain. There is a Boston Young Black Professionals group on meetup.com that might be good to join and get some input from. Good luck!

Old 06-22-2017, 11:57 AM

3,979 posts, read 1,944,710 times
came across this while looking for info about a haitian gala:
Haitian Business Expo, Job Fair set for June 17-18 | Boston Haitian Reporter

not sure how active they are but seems related.

Old 06-22-2017, 01:12 PM

1,133 posts, read 859,639 times
Id recommend Roslindale, Jamaica Plain, Hyde Park, Dorchester(Ashmont, Fielda Corner, Savin Hill) and Mission Hill, All are majority minority neighborhoods and have many black residents. The problem is most of those rneighborhoods have black working class populations and white professionals.

Hyde Park and Dorchester are more heavily African American. Hyde Park is almost all families. Roslindale leans family but is leaning towards yuppie nowadays. Jamaica Plain is. More white and Latino but is totally gentrified so I find it is pretty dull. Mission Hill is probably the most evenly diverse but jt is heavily student based. Hyde Park is almost most removed from downtown and least urbanized.

Outside of Boston I'd recommend Everett Quincy Malden and Somerville.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:00 PM

3,979 posts, read 1,944,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Id recommend Roslindale, Jamaica Plain, Hyde Park, Dorchester(Ashmont, Fielda Corner, Savin Hill) and Mission Hill, All are majority minority neighborhoods and have many black residents. The problem is most of those rneighborhoods have black working class populations and white professionals.

Hyde Park and Dorchester are more heavily African American. Hyde Park is almost all families. Roslindale leans family but is leaning towards yuppie nowadays. Jamaica Plain is. More white and Latino but is totally gentrified so I find it is pretty dull. Mission Hill is probably the most evenly diverse but jt is heavily student based. Hyde Park is almost most removed from downtown and least urbanized.

Outside of Boston I'd recommend Everett Quincy Malden and Somerville.
+1 but I think at least dorchester is mostly west indian ?

Old 06-22-2017, 04:15 PM

1,133 posts, read 859,639 times
Dorchester is more West Indian than Roxbury/South End and probably less West Indian than Hyde park and Mattapan. Maybe the same as Hyde park. Roslindale is hard to say... Jamaica Plain black although somewhat more limited are more often African American akin to Roxbury ...

Also OP 10 Boston Events for Black Professionals This Week - I Don't Do Clubs

^A list of event catering to Boston Black Professionals this week, January so you have an idea...

Old 06-23-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
The problem is most of those rneighborhoods have black working class populations and white professionals.
This is the problem I'm struggling with as I look into this more. It seems most of the potential population of black professionals who are graduating from Harvard, MIT, etc. leave for NYC, SF, etc upon graduation. I may just need to live where is most convenient and find other professionals through clubs and events.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Also OP 10 Boston Events for Black Professionals This Week - I Don't Do Clubs

^A list of event catering to Boston Black Professionals this week, January so you have an idea...
Very helpful resource. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or