U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2017, 07:26 AM

2,050 posts, read 3,464,370 times

Advertisements

I realize Wally's Cafe (or is it Wally's Jazz Cafe?) has been around for decades on Massachusetts Avenue near Columbus Avenue.

I recall seeing a quote by USA Today 15+ years back about its bring one of the top ten places in America to see and hear live jazz.

Is this still the case? I realize it's not always jazz oriented...msybe blues, funk or other styles on certain nights?

Years ago, most or all sessions were free. Is that still true?

Still lots of Berklee College of Music acts appearing from time to time?

They updated the outdoor sign in recent years, and it's ironically now easy to miss, versus the lighted sign with a beer logo. Remember that?

I'll have to show some out of towners some Boston excitement this summer, so I thought this would be a good taste of Boston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 07:48 AM

3,767 posts, read 1,348,125 times
I haven't been there in nearly 25 years. Was great back then as it was free with Berklee students just jamming.

Old 06-25-2017, 06:33 AM

3,384 posts, read 3,777,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
I realize Wally's Cafe (or is it Wally's Jazz Cafe?) has been around for decades on Massachusetts Avenue near Columbus Avenue.

I recall seeing a quote by USA Today 15+ years back about its bring one of the top ten places in America to see and hear live jazz.

Is this still the case? I realize it's not always jazz oriented...msybe blues, funk or other styles on certain nights?

Years ago, most or all sessions were free. Is that still true?

Still lots of Berklee College of Music acts appearing from time to time?

They updated the outdoor sign in recent years, and it's ironically now easy to miss, versus the lighted sign with a beer logo. Remember that?

I'll have to show some out of towners some Boston excitement this summer, so I thought this would be a good taste of Boston
If your visitor likes Jazz then it's a must visit. They still book extremely talented acts nightly and the vibe is still great. Wally's is still (most recently visited a year ago) one of the finest places to listen to Jazz in the country.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:39 AM

19 posts, read 13,977 times
Also there's no cover charge! You won't see big-name acts every night like you will at Scullers, but the music is consistently great, especially after 9 PM. Before 9 there are a lot of Berklee students.

Also, on Fridays and Saturdays from 9 PM to 1 AM, trumpeter Jason Palmer leads his band and always draws big crowds.

Old 06-27-2017, 12:19 PM

32,734 posts, read 22,687,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpeskiem View Post
Also there's no cover charge! You won't see big-name acts every night like you will at Scullers, but the music is consistently great, especially after 9 PM. Before 9 there are a lot of Berklee students.

Also, on Fridays and Saturdays from 9 PM to 1 AM, trumpeter Jason Palmer leads his band and always draws big crowds.

Damn, dude.

Old 09-05-2017, 04:06 PM

19 posts, read 13,977 times
Nah, didn't mean it like that! I see a lot of student acts at the club.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:15 PM

5,945 posts, read 6,751,495 times
I heard they have good Southern cooking and BBQ, but it is difficult to find parking around the area. There may not be as many Berklee students playing there now, as Berklee recently opened up 2 music venues/restaurants on their campus, for students and some fine out of town acts to play in. Not that that would be bad at all. Many Berklee students play much better, more experimental, than some of the so called professional acts I've recently heard (Ryles, Beehive, etc. etc.)

Very disappointed in the Beehive, as it has such a good reputation. The layout is not conducive to listening to music. The stage is off to the side almost in a separate room in a lower level where the musician can't even be seen. Time to try Wally's.

Last edited by 495neighbor; 09-06-2017 at 12:23 PM..

Old 09-06-2017, 02:53 PM

885 posts, read 711,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
I heard they have good Southern cooking and BBQ, but it is difficult to find parking around the area.
Wallys doesn't serve food, maybe you mean Darry'ls?

Old 09-07-2017, 10:00 AM

5,945 posts, read 6,751,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
Wallys doesn't serve food, maybe you mean Darry'ls?
I stand corrected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or