U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 09:50 AM

33,042 posts, read 22,937,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
"Improving" somewhat & "potential".

IMO Malden = still dumpy.

Fun fact: nothing in Boston or Massachusetts is 24/7.

Malden Center is not dumpy, and relatively little of Malden overall is "dumpy".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 09:52 PM

4,020 posts, read 1,975,610 times
is davis too expensive ?

Old 07-04-2017, 07:12 AM

33,042 posts, read 22,937,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
is davis too expensive ?

probably, if they want very modern
half mile from davis is doable, but again, fierce competition for good places

Old 07-04-2017, 07:57 AM

12 posts, read 7,605 times
We have a rough understanding of the neighborhoods by now. Considering our budget and housing preferences we have shortlisted N. Quincy and Quincy centre, Jamaica Plain and Malden centre. Out of which we would like to learn more about Quincy and Jamaica plain and Malden will be our last choice as it has a more suburban feel to it. Can you please advise which areas in Jamaica plain we should avoid while looking out for rentals. Also the same for Quincy. We want to stay close to the Subway. So this way even if we pay more for the apartment we can atleast avoid having a car. Thank you !!

Old 07-04-2017, 08:33 AM

4,020 posts, read 1,975,610 times
this mite be helpful:
Interactive MBTA Map Shows Average Rent for Each T Stop

Old 07-04-2017, 08:53 AM

423 posts, read 167,641 times
In Jamaica plain I'd say you would want to be near the Forrest hills orange line stop. a lot of activity is on Washington and centre streets and you may have to settle for a walk/bike to some of these areas to be close to t stop. You'd also have roslindale center a bit up Washington st. Some of the neighborhoods are very dense but can have a suburban feel with yards etc. this is true for many areas outside of the inner Boston core.. Jamaica plain probably more diverse than Quincy. Quincy will have a larger Asian American population however.

Old 07-04-2017, 09:24 AM

1,706 posts, read 3,235,644 times
So the T serves Jamaica Plain very well with 4 orange line stops. Jackson is on the rough side. Boylston and Green are surrounded by nice neighborhoods. Forest Hills is ok. Along South and Centre Streets and So. Huntington/Huntington Ave you also have the #39 bus, very frequent, which replaces the old T streetcar service to Arborway. Easy commute into Boston but feels remote to people with ties on the Cambridge Somerville side of the river. JP runs from streets of suburban SF houses in the hills above Jamaica Pond to wooden tenements and housing projects around Jackson and Egleston Squares. Streets of beautiful Victorian frame houses mixed in among pockets of 3 deckers. Lots written about Jamaica Plain including a Ph.D. thesis by an historian who's teaching at Harvard, Alexander von Hoffman, who published it under the title Local Attachments, the Making of an American Urban Neighborhood. Tremendous park resources including the pond, Arnold Arboretum and Franklin Park. Relatively lively along South and Centre Streets, and intermittently Washington St. Generally hip, increasingly upscale and gentrified, gay friendly, literary, artistic; also a significant Latino population. A local Latino food market became a Whole Foods a couple of years ago. Harvest, the local food coop, moved to a location inconvenient for pedestrians but better for drivers, I suppose, but is said to be in trouble due to competition from Whole Foods.

Old 07-04-2017, 12:07 PM

423 posts, read 167,641 times
Mission Hill likely knows area better than I do. Agree green and boylston stops look ok too

Old 07-05-2017, 07:16 AM

1,706 posts, read 3,235,644 times
Thank you Ne999, except i gave one station name as Boylston when it's actually Stony Brook. Anyway, I always plug Jamaica Plain when I have the chance. Seems perfect as city neighborhoods go.

Last edited by missionhill; 07-05-2017 at 08:41 AM..

Old 07-05-2017, 04:08 PM

12 posts, read 7,605 times
@Mission Hill: You have deep knowledge on Jamaica plain and thank you for taking the time to explain this to me. @ Stanley - The interactive map has been very useful, thanks for sharing.

We've been speaking to a few apt management companies and although we still haven't finalized on an apartment , looks like we might have to settle with Malden. I had no idea rents were so expensive in Boston, it's almost the same as NYC. We are hoping to find something in Malden center as it is close to the orange line and Somerville and Cambridge.

I am still confused if I should engage a broker or not as I need to settle for an apartment by the 24th of July. I would like to avoid the broker fee , maybe a day trip to Boston might help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or