U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 03:11 PM

5,026 posts, read 4,841,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickychandrasen View Post
We have a rough understanding of the neighborhoods by now. Considering our budget and housing preferences we have shortlisted N. Quincy and Quincy centre, Jamaica Plain and Malden centre. Out of which we would like to learn more about Quincy and Jamaica plain and Malden will be our last choice as it has a more suburban feel to it. Can you please advise which areas in Jamaica plain we should avoid while looking out for rentals. Also the same for Quincy. We want to stay close to the Subway. So this way even if we pay more for the apartment we can atleast avoid having a car. Thank you !!
I'm from NYC. Been here for 7 years. Live in Brookline. You won't find any place here that remotely resembles Astoria (I grew up in Brooklyn and wife grew up in Queens - I'm familiar w/Astoria).

I predict you'll be pretty disappointed at first. You'll be like...where are things? Where's the buzz? After getting used to things, hopefully you'll like it.

With respect to your shortlist, Jamaica Plain gets my vote. From your list, that's the best place to get around without a car. You won't be happy in Malden without a car at all, and I think it's kind of dumpy too and doesn't have much going on.

You can join ZipCar or their car share competitor Enterprise (make sure they have enough locations where you end up living).

Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 03:33 PM

3,985 posts, read 1,944,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickychandrasen View Post
@Mission Hill: You have deep knowledge on Jamaica plain and thank you for taking the time to explain this to me. @ Stanley - The interactive map has been very useful, thanks for sharing.

We've been speaking to a few apt management companies and although we still haven't finalized on an apartment , looks like we might have to settle with Malden. I had no idea rents were so expensive in Boston, it's almost the same as NYC. We are hoping to find something in Malden center as it is close to the orange line and Somerville and Cambridge.

I am still confused if I should engage a broker or not as I need to settle for an apartment by the 24th of July. I would like to avoid the broker fee , maybe a day trip to Boston might help.
def travel to boston to shop around. i thought its been quite common knowledge that boston area had expensive real-estate -- youre competing with harvard/tufts/bu/... students after all. i think according to redfin boston has the 3rd highest average rental costs behind san fran and d.c. but if you were living in an n.y.c. bubble all your life you probably would never notice. (obviousely, if manhattan was a city it would be by far the most expensive. but i guess the other districts bring the average down ?)

i know of landlords who insist on having an agent run background checks, it costs the renter about a months worth of rent. i suspect its to minimize the amount of section-8 applicants. its shady but 'dems 'da breaks.

probably not necessary but renting a room with 4 roomates is how one of my boys makes it.

Old 07-05-2017, 04:55 PM

405 posts, read 158,526 times
I agree that although Boston is very vibrant and doesn't have nearly the sustained vibrancy that you will find in NYC. If you get to know the neighborhoods you will find plenty of diversity of cuisine and culture. Let us know if we can give you any more info about neighborhoods once you move. How far is your commute to work? Best of luck

Old 07-05-2017, 08:09 PM

12 posts, read 7,551 times
@Ne999 - Thank You !! My husband's job is in Downtown Boston on Franklin St, I need to find a job once I get there. Over here I am a Yoga Instructor. Neighborhood-wise I am looking to find more information on Allston, Cambridge Port. Some of the apartments that we saw in Somerville are very cramped and dark -no sunlight even though it is $2000. Trying to find apartments that are atleast 600 sqft and well ventilated. I know these things take time , keeping my fingers crossed !!

Old 07-05-2017, 08:35 PM

Cambridgeport is nice. Closest t line would be red line. Likely bus options as well. Close to Ian square, central square, Kendal square and Harvard square which are all unique and offer variety of cuisine/culture. Bike friendly. Allston also is diverse and has a lot of variety in food options. Downsides are it is close to BU and can be quite young. Also on B line which is one of the slower t lines to downtown. There are likely bus lines as well. The C or D lines in Brighton are quicker to downtown.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:36 PM

**inman square

Old 07-05-2017, 08:42 PM

4,126 posts, read 1,727,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
I'm from NYC. Been here for 7 years. Live in Brookline. You won't find any place here that remotely resembles Astoria (I grew up in Brooklyn and wife grew up in Queens - I'm familiar w/Astoria).

I predict you'll be pretty disappointed at first. You'll be like...where are things? Where's the buzz? After getting used to things, hopefully you'll like it.

With respect to your shortlist, Jamaica Plain gets my vote. From your list, that's the best place to get around without a car. You won't be happy in Malden without a car at all, and I think it's kind of dumpy too and doesn't have much going on.

You can join ZipCar or their car share competitor Enterprise (make sure they have enough locations where you end up living).

Best of luck.
+1.

Don't do it.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:16 AM

32,778 posts, read 22,716,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
**inman square

Inman is a great area, but it isn't close to a subway stop.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:33 AM

24 posts, read 12,609 times
Quincy fits the bill, especially with regard to safety and an easy public transportation commute to Franklin St. Geographically it may be further than, say Jamaica Plain, but the commute times are comparable. You'd want to focus your search to within a mile of a T stop (though avoid Wollaston – it's a great area but will be without a T station for two years as they renovate). There are new construction apartment buildings around North Quincy and Quincy Center, but the rest of the rental stock tends to be two or three-family houses.

Quincy is quieter than Cambridge or Somerville, but given your budget you may find the apartments more to your liking. One reference point: When we moved from our 1BR 900 sq. ft. apartment in Davis Sq (Somerville) in 2015 it was posted for $2,000/month. Now you could probably expect it to rent for a couple hundred more. Right now, an equivalent place in Quincy within walking distance to the T probably goes for $1,800.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:48 AM

1,936 posts, read 1,074,088 times
Besides the Red Line Quincy is not a pleasant place to forgo a car. It's just as suburban as Malden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or