U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 03:11 PM

596 posts, read 785,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickychandrasen View Post
Thanks for your quick response. We would love to walk but its only during the winter months that we are worried about. Also, my husband needs to go downtown everyday. Google maps says its 35min commute, so is it safe to assume it might take 15-20 mins extra because of bus delays etc? Also, since you said you live in the area, are there grocery/convenience/pharmacy stores nearby? Thanks again!

During the daytime any delay to/from Davis Square should be less than 15-20 minutes due to the frequency of the buses. It usually takes the bus about 10 minutes to go from the area in question to Davis, so if the next bus is more than about 10 minutes away I usually just start walking. Allowing half an hour to get to a stop like Downtown Crossing is probably a good rough estimate. A lot depends on how well you time the bus/train connection. I personally would have no problem commuting downtown every day from this area. Taking the T for 30 or so minutes > sitting in your car in traffic. Highland Avenue itself has very little in the way of shopping (mostly convenience stores) until you get close to Davis. As Timberline said there are a lot of options when you go down the hill. My wife usually goes to Market Basket, and when she has a lot of groceries I usually take the car to pick her up. If you have a moderate amount of stuff you should be able to push it up the hill in one of those push carts. There is also a new market (Bfresh -sp?) by the Davis T station, so it is easy to pick up a few things on the way home.

The good news is that they usually do a good job of clearing the snow/ice from the sidewalks on Highland Avenue (the other small side streets not so much), so walking to/from Davis is usually not a problem. It can sometimes be more difficult to walk up the hill in the snow and ice when you are carrying a lot of groceries. This is the time when you may want to use a cab/uber/zipcar. The parking lot at Market Basket is usually full, but they seem to have the lowest prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 05:37 PM

3,576 posts, read 1,830,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickychandrasen View Post
We need to make a decision by EOD today for the apartment on highland Avenue. As of now the only thing holding me back is the distance to David Square ... walking is something I will not consider during the winter months unless its less than 10 - 12 minutes. But in this case its a 30 minute walk.
I wouldn't worry about it so much. Although the buses are not perfect, they should sill work for you. If you start walking, the bus will catch up to you. During rush hour there is a bus every 15-20 minutes. Also, there are plenty of places to stop along the way and warm up. You can also use the bus tracker by entering the number of your stop and it will tell you how soon the next bus is:

MBTA.com > Online Trip Planning Tools

Old 07-13-2017, 07:46 AM

116 posts, read 65,048 times
What would stop you from walking in the months? Why not consider buying warm clothing and getting some exercise?

Old 07-16-2017, 07:24 PM

2,772 posts, read 1,580,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post
What would stop you from walking in the months? Why not consider buying warm clothing and getting some exercise?
And it's not like it's single digits for 90 days. This past winter, it was 70 degrees and we went to the park during my kids' February break. Not saying I can guarantee some 70 degrees in February every year, but when it gets real cold, it's usually not for weeks on end. It waxes and wanes. So the number of days when you're walking in truly cold weather aren't so very many.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:15 PM

1,645 posts, read 747,563 times
Just to echo a number of other comments- I'd go Cambridge, Somerville, Allston, or Brookline. Allston is probably the cheapest and will provide the most alternative look and feel. Think Brooklyn but small and dirtier.

Price aside, Cambridge is the place for you. Price aside, eveyone loves Cambridge.. easier said than done tho!

Old 07-27-2017, 09:41 AM

12 posts, read 7,559 times
Hi everyone , thank you so much for all the suggestions. We've been lucky to finally have found an apartment in Cambridge , about 12 minute walk from Harvard square. The apartment does not satisfy all my needs but the compromise definitely takes a back seat when compared to the convenience of our commute to downtown boston and I really like the neighborhood as well . I look forward to this new beginning and once again , this forum has been most helpful during my search for an apartment. Thank You !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or