U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 02:58 PM

6,977 posts, read 6,696,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
A fully loaded burrito bowl still clocks in at almost a thousand calories.
For an active person, that's not an unreasonable amount.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 09:04 PM

2,769 posts, read 1,572,824 times
1,000 calories is a pretty high number for a single meal. But again, the health value of a food is about more than just the number of calories it contains.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:37 AM

32,716 posts, read 22,666,022 times
I can't imagine how huge I'd be if I was eating 1000 calorie meals, even with working out every day.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:35 AM

I looked into it further and a chicken burrito bowl with brown rice, pintos, tomato salsa, lettuce and guacamole. It comes out to 770 calories. That 1000 number is with the full works (including cheese and sour cream).

https://www.nutritionix.com/chipotle...ion-calculator

There is the full nutrition content. 44g of protein, 21g of fiber and only 3g of sugar (and also 50% Vitamin A, 45% Vitamin C and 35% iron). You CANNOT say that is not a healthy restaurant meal. But if that is still too much for you, don't eat the full thing. You could eat half the bowl at 385 calories, then save the rest for tomorrow. Still much better than eating at McD's, which is hazardous to your health in any amount.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:54 AM

714 posts, read 833,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
There is the full nutrition content. 44g of protein, 21g of fiber and only 3g of sugar (and also 50% Vitamin A, 45% Vitamin C and 35% iron). You CANNOT say that is not a healthy restaurant meal. But if that is still too much for you, don't eat the full thing. You could eat half the bowl at 385 calories, then save the rest for tomorrow. Still much better than eating at McD's, which is hazardous to your health in any amount.
(bolding mine)

Exactly this. I can always get two meals out of one restaurant meal. There's no need to eat the whole dish at once unless you've been starving yourself all day.

Old 07-29-2017, 12:35 AM

2,232 posts, read 4,376,864 times
Quote:
For an active person, that's not an unreasonable amount.
For one meal it is, and then top that on the soda or energy drinks they consume. It just seemed like most people would eat Chipotle thinking "fresh" equaled healthy.

Old 07-29-2017, 07:37 AM

7,854 posts, read 6,808,966 times
Guys a calorie is not the end all be all. 1000 calories in a meal is not that unusual. Especially if you only eat 2x a day. The threesquare meals thing is not a biological necessity. Mostly cultural. It developed very recently, since the last 100-150 years are really the only time innhistory that we haven't had to work that hard to find abundant food.

I would say I eat 2 meals a day that probably would total at least 2000 calories (lunch and dinner). Some nuts, banana, etc in between the two. So overall between 2500a and 3000 per day. I also work out 5 days a week, over 6 feet, 175. But that's missing the point even. It's about what you are eating. 1000 calories of chicken breast vs 1000 of chocolate cake are not even close to the same thing.

Old 07-29-2017, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Guys a calorie is not the end all be all. 1000 calories in a meal is not that unusual. Especially if you only eat 2x a day. The threesquare meals thing is not a biological necessity. Mostly cultural. It developed very recently, since the last 100-150 years are really the only time innhistory that we haven't had to work that hard to find abundant food.

I would say I eat 2 meals a day that probably would total at least 2000 calories (lunch and dinner). Some nuts, banana, etc in between the two. So overall between 2500a and 3000 per day. I also work out 5 days a week, over 6 feet, 175. But that's missing the point even. It's about what you are eating. 1000 calories of chicken breast vs 1000 of chocolate cake are not even close to the same thing.
It has become not all that unusual, but it still isn't so good. (One of the reason why Americans are so fat.) Many people cannot eat 2500-3000 calories a day without getting fat. You have to either be big and tall or extremely active, both with lots of muscle. Most people, especially most women, need to eat fewer than 2000 calories a day. In order to actually lose weight, it's not unusual for people to have to eat less than even 1500 calories.

Since it's better to eat smaller meals throughout the day, rather than one big meal at once, if you eat 1000 at once, that doesn't leave a whole lot for the rest of the day.

And absolutely, 1000 calories of cake is not the same as 1000 calories of chicken. Calorie count is one component, but only one of several, in determining "healthiness" of a meal.

(I was once doing a calorie count-based program to lose weight. I think I could eat something like 1300 calories, but I'd get more if I exercised. I used to belong to a writing group that met at a chain restaurant/brewery. There was literally nothing - not one item on the menu that was under 1000 calories. Not even the salads. I used to be certain to work out that day and basically eat nothing else until the meeting.)

Old 07-29-2017, 08:27 PM

I probably eat ONE 1000 calorie meal on the average day. Now those meals will typically include 1/2 lb of meat, and very little sugar. I don't drink soda, nor do I even take sugar in my coffee (a little bit of milk if anything). I am just under 6 ft. tall and weigh 185 lbs., not much for body fat. If I ate a rabbit diet like many advocate, I would become skin and bones and have little for energy. No thanks. I'm not telling anyone else what's best for them, but I do believe for a grown man (who does anything more than play XBOX all day long) a 2000 calorie diet is bare minimum. Many need more.

But like I said, a burrito bowl at Chipotle is typically in the 700s calorie range if you don't load it all the way up. And if that's still too much for you, save part of it for later. Or order a taco instead. You cannot say there is a more reliable quick option for when you are away from home, that offers a real honest meal. Starvation diets don't count.

Old 07-30-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
I probably eat ONE 1000 calorie meal on the average day. Now those meals will typically include 1/2 lb of meat, and very little sugar. I don't drink soda, nor do I even take sugar in my coffee (a little bit of milk if anything). I am just under 6 ft. tall and weigh 185 lbs., not much for body fat. If I ate a rabbit diet like many advocate, I would become skin and bones and have little for energy. No thanks. I'm not telling anyone else what's best for them, but I do believe for a grown man (who does anything more than play XBOX all day long) a 2000 calorie diet is bare minimum. Many need more.

But like I said, a burrito bowl at Chipotle is typically in the 700s calorie range if you don't load it all the way up. And if that's still too much for you, save part of it for later. Or order a taco instead. You cannot say there is a more reliable quick option for when you are away from home, that offers a real honest meal. Starvation diets don't count.
No one is saying you personally should eat a "rabbit diet," however you define that.

I believe 2000 calories is the "standard" diet that they use to calculate percentages of daily intake on most labels and for giving general advice. But while a 2000 calorie diet might be right for a theoretical "average" individual, the reality is that a lot of different things go into a specific person's calorie requirement.

You are lucky, in a sense, that you happen to conform to the "standard" that is used (which is of a man, so automatically half the population are excluded and therefore that standard metric has limited applicabiity.)

That's great that 2000 calories per day works for you and no one is saying you should do anything differently. There are, however, many people who only need 1500 calories (or even less), and any more will cause weight gain.

BUT, when so many restaurants offer nothing less than 1000 calories, and if you have people eating 1000 calories for each meal, plus snacking and drinking high calorie drinks, you quickly get into the land of obesity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or