U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 08:52 PM

5,531 posts, read 8,188,759 times

Advertisements

I've spent many "free days" in Boston. If the weather is good, I like to walk from either Fenway or Copley to Bunker Hill and climb to the top of the monument. I like to hang around the Common or the Public Garden. I also love to walk around the North End. There are some nice museums like the Museum of Science, the Fine Arts museum and the Isabel Stewart Gardener museum. I like the museum at the old British statehouse also. I love Boaton and could spend days there walking around the different neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 07:17 AM

1,690 posts, read 3,212,343 times
I used to go into Peretti's in Park Square for a new pipe and some tobacco, then take a long walk through the Garden, Common, through the old downtown tangle, maybe out to Long Wharf or through the North End to Paul Revere Mall. Or from the Common into Beacon Hill and, at that time, through the Suffolk courthouse into Pemberton Square and down the stairs into Govt Center, Haymarket on a Fri or Sat and then through the tunnel into the North End. Or a Back Bay saunter including the library and Copley Square, Commonwealth Avenue, and maybe the Back Bay Fens. Or hop onto the red line over to Harvard and browse the newsstands and Reading International (long gone) and go to the Ha Penny or the Casablanca. After the Quincy Market renovation that was always a stop on the way. Esplanade walks fit in there somehow too.

I still like all those things but now like to tour the outer neighborhoods by car or bike. A JP walk is always good for the emerald necklace landscapes (Franklin Park, Arnold Arboretum, Jamaica Pond, Wards Pond...), winding streets and Victorian house styles. I like to keep up with the changes in Mission Hill, Fort Hill, Egleston, Grove Hall, Fields Corner, Meetinghouse Hill and Codman Square. And love a walk around Castle Island and the sugar bowl. Charlestown is another place to get lost in while enjoying the odd angles and views and reminiscing about my lost youth.

Seems ironic to read complaints in the news this summer that the harbor is too privatized. 40 years ago it was abandoned and filthy! Now it's beautiful and full of fish, the islands are amazing, the shorelines are clean and inviting, the rotting wharves repurposed, built on and mostly accessible. What a difference!

Old 07-31-2017, 07:58 AM

7,856 posts, read 6,812,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Seems ironic to read complaints in the news this summer that the harbor is too privatized. 40 years ago it was abandoned and filthy! Now it's beautiful and full of fish, the islands are amazing, the shorelines are clean and inviting, the rotting wharves repurposed, built on and mostly accessible. What a difference!
People's memories only go back about 5 minutes.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:18 AM

1,075 posts, read 432,735 times
Get on a bike and do the whole Charles river loop. End up at James Hook and do a stuffed Quahog.

Old 07-31-2017, 06:07 PM

486 posts, read 360,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Get on a bike and do the whole Charles river loop. End up at James Hook and do a stuffed Quahog.

Just make sure you have a good bike lock, otherwise your bike won't be there by the time you're done.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:26 PM

2,050 posts, read 3,462,411 times
I'd like to try that Charles River Canoe and Kayak in Kendall Square.

I assume it's not too expensive; however, I've done neither activity. Is it best to take a quick lesson or two?

Then, maybe I could try canoeing up in the Ipswich area, along the Essex River ( I think?).

South of Boston, a drive thru the Blue Hills is nice in any season, plus a quick walk into or up to the woods and trails. Nice Boston distant skyline view from the parking area off one road.

I also enjoy driving up to the Granite Links Golf Club in Quincy for that panoramic view, then maybe parking at Wollaston Beach and people watching from the car or a bench, after a visit across the street to one of the two clam shacks. I like Nut Island in the Hough's Neck area of Quincy. Great water and skyline views in that Mass Water Resources Authority sewer area.

Old 08-03-2017, 05:28 AM

6,984 posts, read 6,700,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post

Then, maybe I could try canoeing up in the Ipswich area, along the Essex River ( I think?).

Yes, that would be the Essex River. Very nice.

On the S Shore, the North River is a great Canoeing or tubing spot.

Quote:
South of Boston, a drive thru the Blue Hills is nice in any season, plus a quick walk into or up to the woods and trails. Nice Boston distant skyline view from the parking area off one road.?

You probably mean Chickatawbut Road, up past the old reservoir?

Quote:
I also enjoy driving up to the Granite Links Golf Club in Quincy for that panoramic view, then maybe parking at Wollaston Beach and people watching from the car or a bench, after a visit across the street to one of the two clam shacks. I like Nut Island in the Hough's Neck area of Quincy. Great water and skyline views in that Mass Water Resources Authority sewer area.

In addition to those, I used to enjoy driving out to Pemberton Point in Hull for its panoramic view of Boston Harbor as well as the fishing.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:28 AM

114 posts, read 64,783 times
Boston is certainly one of the top, safe cities in the US to explore by foot. Architecturally significant, cohesive, well maintained nabes with nice winding roads. I am a stroller and nothing strikes my fancy more than beautiful architecture which Boston provides aplenty. Hard to beat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or