U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 02:09 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,329,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
You can just ride the train in from Mishawum, of you schedule it right. See if your hotel has a shuttle.
Here's the link for the benefit of the OP

MBTA > Schedules & Maps > Commuter Rail > Anderson/Woburn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 02:15 PM

2,799 posts, read 1,601,744 times
Quote:
OK now that I have more time to respond, see my responses in red (some things to consider).

Day-6: Thursday
i) Legoland
ii) Charles River Cruise
iii) Museum of Science

Again, isn't there a Lego Land in Dallas? The other 2 sound doable, ride the train in.
I agree with this. The Lego Land is fine, and kids do like it, but I don't think the Boston one is necessarily so different from most of the others. The Charles River Cruise, or at least some of them, leave from the Cambridgeside Galleria, which isn't far from the Museum of Science. Those two alone would be a full day for our family, and my kids are 7 and 13. The Legoland is over in Somerville, and while it's not a ridiculous drive from the Science Museum, I'm not so sure it's worth the extra drive and parking, especially with the other two activities on the same day.

I do, though, disagree with skipping the Aquarium. I don't know if Dallas has an aquarium, or how good it is, but if you don't go there often, Boston's is fun for kids. They usually like seeing the penguins, and you can see an IMAX movie there. Plus, it's near some of the whale watch and harbor islands tours, and is in a fun area for kids (where they sell cookie sandwiches and the like). I've found that my kids have always enjoyed aquariums much more than they've enjoyed museums. (They have liked the Science Museum, but most others, they're lukewarm to negative.)

Old 07-19-2017, 02:17 PM

7,117 posts, read 6,781,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
If you are focusing primarily on Greater Boston my suggestion would be to ditch the rental car entirely. Stay at a hotel closer in to Cambridge or Boston and use Uber or public transportation to do activities. You can skip the Cape Cod Canal cruise and Six Flags entirely; both have little appeal for your children. Canobie Lake is OK and a short drive but not worth getting a rental car for.

Nah, with young kids I think it will be a little much to rely entirely on public transit. Due to the money you save, a lot of visitors to the area stay in places like Woburn and Danvers. I think that's a good plan for them, and where they are staying the train is RIGHT there.

I also see the appeal of doing some "fun" kid stuff, young kids aren't going to want to spend the entire week at historic sights and such. But I do think doing both Six Flags AND Canopie Lake on this one trip are a bit much. And yes, I'm not really familiar with either park but a 3-year-old will be limited on what they can do at ANY theme park. Those who have been to both could answer better than I could which is best for young kids.

Old 07-19-2017, 02:23 PM

2,799 posts, read 1,601,744 times
Quote:
I also see the appeal of doing some "fun" kid stuff, young kids aren't going to want to spend the entire week at historic sights and such. But I do think doing both Six Flags AND Canopie Lake on this one trip are a bit much. And yes, I'm not really familiar with either park but a 3-year-old will be limited on what they can do at ANY theme park. Those who have been to both could answer better than I could which is best for young kids.
When my brother was about 2 years old, our family went to an amusement park that was similar to Six Flags. Even now, nearly 40 years later, she considers that to be one of the worst days ever.

(I have a suspicion the OP might have a Six Flags pass, and might go there frequently, thereby being very familiar with it. And maybe because they have a pass, it's okay if they go for only a few hours at a time, unlike people who only go for a single day each season or every few years. That's really the only way I could see it being worthwhile to take a 3 year old to those types of parks.)

Old 07-19-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post

I do, though, disagree with skipping the Aquarium. I don't know if Dallas has an aquarium, or how good it is, but if you don't go there often, Boston's is fun for kids. They usually like seeing the penguins, and you can see an IMAX movie there. Plus, it's near some of the whale watch and harbor islands tours, and is in a fun area for kids (where they sell cookie sandwiches and the like). I've found that my kids have always enjoyed aquariums much more than they've enjoyed museums. (They have liked the Science Museum, but most others, they're lukewarm to negative.)
I hear the one in Dallas is much better.

But the reason I said to skip it was the parking costs, and the fact that if they are on public transit it would be hard to get to the Constitution and also the Freedom Ride. Just the logistics of that day sound a bit difficult. It's also a very expensive aquarium, but if their pass gets them in for free then I guess that is a non issue.

I suppose they COULD combine the aquarium with a whale watch, either by picking a weekend day to drive in or by riding the T in on a weekday.

Old 07-19-2017, 02:30 PM

8,829 posts, read 9,051,763 times
Quote:

They are really full day events to visit both parks. Six flags is a hike to get to, and once you are there, it's just a full, tiring day. It's a big park, and I think geared towards an older crowd/adults more than kids. The 3 year old might find themselves limited to 5-7 rides and that's is.

Canobie lake is similar, but smaller scale and size. Being closer, it's less of an energy drain in terms of the effort to get there, park and enjoy the park. Plus when you are ready to leave, you are an hour from your hotel, vs 2 hrs with six flags.

Old 07-19-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
They are really full day events to visit both parks. Six flags is a hike to get to, and once you are there, it's just a full, tiring day. It's a big park, and I think geared towards an older crowd/adults more than kids. The 3 year old might find themselves limited to 5-7 rides and that's is.

Canobie lake is similar, but smaller scale and size. Being closer, it's less of an energy drain in terms of the effort to get there, park and enjoy the park. Plus when you are ready to leave, you are an hour from your hotel, vs 2 hrs with six flags.
It's too bad all of the more "kid friendly" parks are gone. No more Benson's, Whalom, Kings Castle Land, etc.

Old 07-19-2017, 02:37 PM

8,829 posts, read 9,051,763 times
Quote:
It's too bad all of the more "kid friendly" parks are gone. No more Benson's, Whalom, Kings Castle Land, etc.

That's why I threw out Davis Farmland in an earlier post. It's local, and fairly kid friendly, with a decent splash park. My two 4-year olds have a blast here, and we intend to go back.

Hell of a lot cheaper than going to Great Wolf's Lodge for a night

Old 07-19-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
That's why I threw out Davis Farmland in an earlier post. It's local, and fairly kid friendly, with a decent splash park. My two 4-year olds have a blast here, and we intend to go back.

Hell of a lot cheaper than going to Great Wolf's Lodge for a night
Good suggestion, I also throw Kimball's Farm into that (could easily be done on one day).

Old 07-19-2017, 03:41 PM

1,964 posts, read 1,097,837 times
If you're staying in Woburn I'd recommend going to a North Shore beach. A day crusing cape ann and going to different beaches would be fun. Id visit Rockport, Gloucester (good harbor beach is nice), and Salem. Salem has some good museams.

Alternatively you could visit Newburyport and Plum Island.

During a weekday it can take forever to get from the south shore to Woburn. Traffic is truly horrible unless you pick weird times to travel. Also though I may be biased (grew up on the north shore) I think the north shore beaches are better then the South shore ones. Singing beach in Manchester is my favourite

And canobie lake is definitely convient to Woburn. Only a half hour trip

Last edited by tysmith95; 07-19-2017 at 03:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston