U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 06:35 PM

2,769 posts, read 2,213,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
That's why I threw out Davis Farmland in an earlier post. It's local, and fairly kid friendly, with a decent splash park. My two 4-year olds have a blast here, and we intend to go back.

Hell of a lot cheaper than going to Great Wolf's Lodge for a night
Davis Farmland is insanely expensive for what it is. I went once and probably won't go back any time soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 07:26 PM

2,771 posts, read 1,577,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Davis Farmland is insanely expensive for what it is. I went once and probably won't go back any time soon.
I just checked it out. It does look like a cute place that kids would like. But $26 per person is kind of steep. Might be fun to do occasionally, but it seems like the kind of thing that might exist in a lot of places. I'm still not sold that that sort of activity is worth a day if you are traveling to a different part of the country to see that part of the country. (As opposed to maybe coming here to visit friends or family, and the bigger emphasis is on spending time together, rather than seeing and exploring the area.)

Old 07-19-2017, 07:31 PM

67 posts, read 42,373 times
What about a local farm? Connors farm in Danvers is great for kids and they have their blueberry/rasberry festival july 22. Another vote for Storyland if you feel like the drive, so much fun for that age group. They (and Canobie) have small roller coasters that are perfect for 3 year olds actually (mine went about 3 times in row). Have fun!

Last edited by Aara5; 07-19-2017 at 08:34 PM..

Old 07-19-2017, 07:32 PM

6,997 posts, read 6,707,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I just checked it out. It does look like a cute place that kids would like. But $26 per person is kind of steep. Might be fun to do occasionally, but it seems like the kind of thing that might exist in a lot of places. I'm still not sold that that sort of activity is worth a day if you are traveling to a different part of the country to see that part of the country. (As opposed to maybe coming here to visit friends or family, and the bigger emphasis is on spending time together, rather than seeing and exploring the area.)
Right but they will be here for 10 days. At least one of those could be a "kid fun" day.

Another idea is Edaville USA (formerly Edaville RR). It's full of small kiddie rides, and of course the old historic stream train through the cranberry bogs. You get both the unique New England experience along with the stimuli to keep the kids occupied.

Edaville Family Amusement park | Home of Thomas Land | Carver, MA

Old 07-20-2017, 06:51 AM

466 posts, read 345,955 times
Some suggestions below. In general, I agree with others that this is a ton of stuff given the ages of your kids. I have heard great things about the Tea Party Museum as well and it is right near the Childrens Museum. In general, I would avoid driving into Boston, due to traffic and parking fees (it will cost $20+ per day to park in any lot or garage). The commuter rail would make sense, especially if the hotel offers a shuttle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciscogeek View Post
Dear Fellows!

I am in a need of your advices/guidance/suggestions/recommendations. We are a family of 4 including 2 daughters (3 & 7) visiting Boston and Massachusetts the VERY FIRST time EVER. Our trip will last about 10 days, starting July 22nd. We will be staying at a hotel located on “Mishawum Road . Woburn, Massachusetts 01801.” We will be renting a car right from the airport for the duration of our stay. Now, we feel we are prepared for everything but traffic, tolls, parking.

We don’t want to spend outrageous amount going through tolls, wasting time stuck in traffic, and then hunting parking spots and paying anything more than $5-10 for all day. I need help/suggestions.

See the attached map of attractions we plan on targeting and kindly suggest where to park, should we travel via public transport? How good/costly will be the public transport? Are the locations accessible via public transport? We would love to ride the rentacar all the way to the entry gate as it might not be fun to walk in 80-90 degrees and especially when one plans on targeting 2-3 attractions in a day.

Here is our itinerary for attractions:

Day-1:
Arrive by noon. Nothing scheduled or planned for that day but we were hoping to hit any fun beach. Constitution, Natasket, Wingaersheek, or Silsbury. Suggest anything if you know any with fun rides. Or we might want to explore downtown area that day. How should we travel? Car vs public transport?

I would suggest going up to Salem. Salem Willows has a beach with an old fashion arcade. You can also check out the downtown when you are up there (though I would rive to the Museum Place garage to park). Quickish ride from Woburn (traffic dependent) and cheap metered parking at Salem Willows. https://willowsarcade.com

Day-2:
Canobie Lake Park, New Hampshire (mostly all day)…I don’t know if we will have to go through tolls or are there equally fast alternate routes to get to it.

No tolls, straight shot on 93.

Day-3: (Monday)
i) Franklin Park Zoo
ii) Cape Canal Cruise
iii) Concord Museum

Too much for one day. I would skip the Cape, it's cool, but a long drive. I would do the Concord Museum, not far from Woburn and you can check out Concord. Take the kids for a swim at Walden pond.

Day-4: (Tues)
i) Insitutue of Contemporary Art
ii) Sky walk observatory
iii) Whale Watch

The ICA may not be great for the kids, but you could probably go through it in pretty short time. The whale watch is not far (near Aquarium)

Day-5: (Wed)
Six Flags (mostly all day)

Day-6: Thursday
i) Legoland
ii) Charles River Cruise
iii) Museum of Science

Is Charles River Cruise the duck boats? If so, they pick up and drop off right in front of the Museum, so you could easily add that.

Day-5: Fri
i) New England Aquarium
ii) Liberty Ride
iii) USS Constitution

Day-6: Sat
i) Harvard walking tour
ii) Harvard Museum of Natural History
iii) Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology

Day-7: Sun
i) Hop-on/Hop-off bus
ii) Boston Children Museum
iii) Swan boat

Day-8: Mon
This is the day we depart Boston but we still have all day until 4pm. Feel free to suggest any good place we missed.

Here is the deal. We bought the 7-day citypass to cover all these attractions, but if you feel there is something we missed, please do suggest that. And if you feel there is something we have on the list for which you have a tip/advice, please do offer that as well.

Parking and traffic seems to be the biggest challenge. The reason I provided our hotel location and all the breakdown so you all can suggest if there are certain days where we should leave the car and take public transport or vice versa. Also, are there destinations on my list where tolls would be mandatory or are there equally good alternate routes available?

The idea is to extract the best value, a wonderful experience, without going over budget, and avoid any unnecessary expenses if we can plan well. But we can't be successful without your guidance.

We appreciate your time and support in advance.

Old 07-20-2017, 06:55 AM

2,769 posts, read 2,213,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alidmc View Post
Some suggestions below. In general, I agree with others that this is a ton of stuff given the ages of your kids. I have heard great things about the Tea Party Museum as well and it is right near the Childrens Museum. In general, I would avoid driving into Boston, due to traffic and parking fees (it will cost $20+ per day to park in any lot or garage). The commuter rail would make sense, especially if the hotel offers a shuttle.
Commuter rail will cost almost as much as parking and be much less convenient.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:28 AM

2,771 posts, read 1,577,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alidmc View Post
Is Charles River Cruise the duck boats? If so, they pick up and drop off right in front of the Museum, so you could easily add that.
Charles Riverboat cruises leave from Cambridgeside Galleria. Duck Boat tours leave from MOS. Either is do-able.
Depending on the day, the most economical way to get there might be to drive and park in the Cambridgeside Mall. MOS is walkable from there.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:31 AM

8,730 posts, read 8,934,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I just checked it out. It does look like a cute place that kids would like. But $26 per person is kind of steep.

I think we've gone on Teacher appreciation day, which is free admission for immediate family. There are also occasional groupons/coupons as well. I don't think we've ever gone there for full admission price.

Not trying to hijack the thread here. There are probably other activities the OP would rather do anyway.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:36 AM

8,382 posts, read 5,032,521 times
My experience of Boston (2000 - right before the completion of the Big Dig) is that you find a garage to park your car and then don't even think of driving it until you are through with the city. Otherwise, you would spend most of your time in the city LOOKING for parking - or paying through the nose for the various lots.

The city has a great transportation system - I would use it.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:02 PM

404 posts, read 158,099 times
You've got quite a bit packed in. Faneuil hall is a popular historical destination and often has street acts on the weekend. It is also right near the greenway which has a carousel and also water misters that can be fun for kids. This is near the aquarium. Also the north end is nearby (home to Paul revere house) which is Boston's Italian section that would have some great gelato. Also might check out newbury st, Boston's most popular outdoor shopping street with colonial architecture. This would be close to skywalk observatory. The public garden will separate Faneuil hall from newbury. It is about a mile or so from Faneuil hall to newbury. Subway would be quick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston