U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 10:07 AM

15 posts, read 19,908 times

Advertisements

Dear Fellows!

I am in a need of your advices/guidance/suggestions/recommendations. We are a family of 4 including 2 daughters (3 & 7) visiting Boston and Massachusetts the VERY FIRST time EVER. Our trip will last about 10 days, starting July 22nd. We will be staying at a hotel located on “Mishawum Road . Woburn, Massachusetts 01801.” We will be renting a car right from the airport for the duration of our stay. Now, we feel we are prepared for everything but traffic, tolls, parking.

We don’t want to spend outrageous amount going through tolls, wasting time stuck in traffic, and then hunting parking spots and paying anything more than $5-10 for all day. I need help/suggestions.

See the attached map of attractions we plan on targeting and kindly suggest where to park, should we travel via public transport? How good/costly will be the public transport? Are the locations accessible via public transport? We would love to ride the rentacar all the way to the entry gate as it might not be fun to walk in 80-90 degrees and especially when one plans on targeting 2-3 attractions in a day.

Here is our itinerary for attractions:

Day-1:
Arrive by noon. Nothing scheduled or planned for that day but we were hoping to hit any fun beach. Constitution, Natasket, Wingaersheek, or Silsbury. Suggest anything if you know any with fun rides. Or we might want to explore downtown area that day. How should we travel? Car vs public transport?

Day-2:
Canobie Lake Park, New Hampshire (mostly all day)…I don’t know if we will have to go through tolls or are there equally fast alternate routes to get to it.

Day-3: (Monday)
i) Franklin Park Zoo
ii) Cape Canal Cruise
iii) Concord Museum

Day-4: (Tues)
i) Insitutue of Contemporary Art
ii) Sky walk observatory
iii) Whale Watch

Day-5: (Wed)
Six Flags (mostly all day)

Day-6: Thursday
i) Legoland
ii) Charles River Cruise
iii) Museum of Science

Day-5: Fri
i) New England Aquarium
ii) Liberty Ride
iii) USS Constitution

Day-6: Sat
i) Harvard walking tour
ii) Harvard Museum of Natural History
iii) Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology

Day-7: Sun
i) Hop-on/Hop-off bus
ii) Boston Children Museum
iii) Swan boat

Day-8: Mon
This is the day we depart Boston but we still have all day until 4pm. Feel free to suggest any good place we missed.

Here is the deal. We bought the 7-day citypass to cover all these attractions, but if you feel there is something we missed, please do suggest that. And if you feel there is something we have on the list for which you have a tip/advice, please do offer that as well.

Parking and traffic seems to be the biggest challenge. The reason I provided our hotel location and all the breakdown so you all can suggest if there are certain days where we should leave the car and take public transport or vice versa. Also, are there destinations on my list where tolls would be mandatory or are there equally good alternate routes available?

The idea is to extract the best value, a wonderful experience, without going over budget, and avoid any unnecessary expenses if we can plan well. But we can't be successful without your guidance.

We appreciate your time and support in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
First Timers: Attractions, traffic, parking, tolls-attractions.jpg  

Last edited by Ciscogeek; 07-19-2017 at 11:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 10:13 AM

32,716 posts, read 22,666,022 times
We have only one toll road, really, the Mass Pike (there is a toll bridge too).

I don't want to comment on everything, but if you park in town, $5-10 is not going to cut it.

Second, some of the stuff like this:

i) Franklin Park Zoo
ii) Cape Canal Cruise
iii) Concord Museum

You're packing in 3 things, not close to each other, that take a bit of time. Lots of driving and rushing.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:14 AM

6,980 posts, read 6,696,703 times
Uh, all that with a 3 and 7 year old? Best of luck to ya...

Old 07-19-2017, 10:30 AM

Oh, and your hotel isn't really close to the T. You'd be driving to Oak Grove anyway (or somewhere) to get into town.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
We have only one toll road, really, the Mass Pike (there is a toll bridge too).

I don't want to comment on everything, but if you park in town, $5-10 is not going to cut it.

Second, some of the stuff like this:

i) Franklin Park Zoo
ii) Cape Canal Cruise
iii) Concord Museum

You're packing in 3 things, not close to each other, that take a bit of time. Lots of driving and rushing.
I appreciate your identifying this. We will try to re-arrange/swap with some others.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:42 AM

586 posts, read 289,673 times
Impressive, but ambitious, itinerary. I do admire the planning skills!

Where are you coming from? It may help to cross some things off the list and suggest alternates. For instance I think the Franklin Park Zoo is pretty underwhelming compared to other zoos around the world.

I would consider adding the Boston Tea Party Museum to your itinerary. Visitors we have hosted have universally loved it. It is also right near our fine Children's Museum making for an easy and fun day for the kids.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:45 AM

2,064 posts, read 2,314,303 times
Quote:
Oh, and your hotel isn't really close to the T. You'd be driving to Oak Grove anyway (or somewhere) to get into town.
In that location, though, they are close to the Anderson commuter rail station. Their hotel might have a shuttle to go to the station...although I don't know about the schedule & frequency of the rail service on weekends.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Where are you coming from? It may help to cross some things off the list and suggest alternates. For instance I think the Franklin Park Zoo is pretty underwhelming compared to other zoos around the world.

Agree with this. Zoos are not our strong suit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
In that location, though, they are close to the Anderson commuter rail station. Their hotel might have a shuttle to go to the station...although I don't know about the schedule & frequency of the rail service on weekends.
Ah, didn't think of this.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Since you mentioned T at Oak Grove, I tried exploring it. Discovered even riding T will require paying a parking fee $6 for the day. Arent there any free "park & ride" locations? And if $6 is worth it, are there any days on our itinerary where T makes the most sense than riding car all the way?

Secondly, what if, we want to wander and explore, do you recommend going towards downtown? And what are the best cost effective options to park in downtown b/w 6pm-midnight?

Old 07-19-2017, 10:50 AM

6,980 posts, read 6,696,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciscogeek View Post
Since you mentioned T at Oak Grove, I tried exploring it. Discovered even riding T will require paying a parking fee $6 for the day. Arent there any free "park & ride" locations? And if $6 is worth it, are there any days on our itinerary where T makes the most sense than riding car all the way?

Secondly, what if, we want to wander and explore, do you recommend going towards downtown? And what are the best cost effective options to park in downtown b/w 6pm-midnight?
You can just ride the train in from Mishawum, of you schedule it right. See if your hotel has a shuttle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston