U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 08:45 PM

486 posts, read 361,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
let's just say i'm not a cell phone shooter. i have a full fledged DSLR (Nikon D750) with 5 lenses of various types so i'm fairly serious though not a pro.

and thx for the freedom trail suggestion. it's offered as an option on SD for a discount so that could be my 3rd option..
Nikon D750 with 5 lenses, eh? In that case you should definitely do some low-light shots on Intervale Street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 06:05 AM

1,292 posts, read 2,082,444 times
you guys have all been super helpful but one more thing if you don't mind. i've read bad things (recent bad things) about the area around Franklin Park. i'd really like to get some pics of the animals in the zoo but not if i'm gonna be mugged while there.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:19 AM

32,734 posts, read 22,687,383 times
Man, what are you reading? You were afraid of Central Square a little bit ago. My 78 yo mother has no qualms about walking through Central even in the evening. Franklin Park Zoo isn't a good zoo (I'd cosign roger Williams), but there is nothing to be afraid of.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:38 AM

1,292 posts, read 2,082,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Man, what are you reading? You were afraid of Central Square a little bit ago. My 78 yo mother has no qualms about walking through Central even in the evening. Franklin Park Zoo isn't a good zoo (I'd cosign roger Williams), but there is nothing to be afraid of.
well i wasn't wrong about Central when i last worked in Cambridge from 92-93 - about 25 yrs ago. Franklin i've never been to at all so why would i not take this review seriously..

Franklin

so calm down man.. remember i'll be walking everywhere - with camera equipment. just want to avoid bad neighborhoods.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:50 AM

Quote:
well i wasn't wrong about Central when i last worked in Cambridge from 92-93 - about 25 yrs ago. Franklin i've never been to at all so why would i not take this review seriously..

Franklin

so calm down man.. remember i'll be walking everywhere - with camera equipment. just want to avoid bad neighborhoods.

Eh, I went to TTs, Ground Zero and Man Ray a ton in the late 80s and early 90s late at night, it wasn't even bad then, but now its nice and gentrified.

And you can find a car window busted in anywhere. Happened to a friend recently in Davis Sq, as safe as area you can get.

I'm out carrying camera gear all the time, with a tripod on the side of a lowepro case which screams camera equipment. You have nothing to worry about.

But if you want to be fearful of an area based on a review or two, esp one from 5 years back, where no one was harmed, then really, its best not to go anywhere. I'm sure I can find reports of car break ins, or a sexual assault, or a mugging, or even a murder in pretty much every section of the city. That's true for pretty much every single city (and most rural areas). I just don't understand living scared.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:50 AM

3,459 posts, read 4,356,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
Nikon D750 with 5 lenses, eh? In that case you should definitely do some low-light shots on Intervale Street.
This is not serious.

Quote:
you guys have all been super helpful but one more thing if you don't mind. i've read bad things (recent bad things) about the area around Franklin Park. i'd really like to get some pics of the animals in the zoo but not if i'm gonna be mugged while there.
I take my very young children to the Franklin Park Zoo. First, it's not a great zoo. Fine if you live nearby, but not worth a trip. The area a bit south of the zoo isn't going to win safest neighborhood in Boston, but you have little to be afraid of. Especially in the middle of the day when the zoo is open.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:52 AM

Yeah, it isn't a good zoo, that's true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston