U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-24-2017, 12:58 PM
 
3,268 posts, read 2,197,578 times
Reputation: 2682

Advertisements

right prices have gone up everywhere. There ARE some desirable part of Dorchester that are hot right now....but then there are other areas where people are getting shot in broad daylight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-24-2017, 01:11 PM
 
7,007 posts, read 6,711,305 times
Reputation: 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
right prices have gone up everywhere. There ARE some desirable part of Dorchester that are hot right now....but then there are other areas where people are getting shot in broad daylight.
In other words, people may be getting shot in broad daylight but that's not going to bother some absentee slum lord who gets guaranteed rent from the government every month while spending zero $ on upkeep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2017, 01:37 PM
 
149 posts, read 137,964 times
Reputation: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
In other words, people may be getting shot in broad daylight but that's not going to bother some absentee slum lord who gets guaranteed rent from the government every month while spending zero $ on upkeep.
I understand what you're trying to get at in theory but it doesn't make sense in practice. What you have described if it is indeed the case would only put a floor on sale prices in certain areas, it wouldn't explain the high purchase prices in parts of Roxbury and Dorchester, and it would have no influence on rental prices. (If anything, it might have a negative influence on rental prices to the extent that landlords renting to people in Section 8 are less likely to upkeep their homes.)

Regardless, I'm not sure how much Section 8 is left in Savin Hill and Fort Hill anyway.

Last edited by such sweet thunder; 07-24-2017 at 02:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2017, 03:54 PM
 
3,268 posts, read 2,197,578 times
Reputation: 2682
Bottom line is that many people don't want to spend their money in an area where people are frequently shot and stabbed when they have other choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2017, 05:15 PM
 
Location: New England
1,931 posts, read 1,074,088 times
Reputation: 1685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Bottom line is that many people don't want to spend their money in an area where people are frequently shot and stabbed when they have other choices.
Number of people murdered so far this year in South Boston: 2. Number of people murdered so far this year in Savin Hill: 0.

Just saying
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2017, 06:15 PM
 
3,268 posts, read 2,197,578 times
Reputation: 2682
there may not have been any in savin hill but there have been in dorchester and savin hill is part of dorchester:

Dorchester crime | Universal Hub

That is a lot of shootings right there...and i know of another that happened last week that isnt on that list. So i'm sure there other unrecorded ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2017, 08:35 PM
 
149 posts, read 137,964 times
Reputation: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Bottom line is that many people don't want to spend their money in an area where people are frequently shot and stabbed when they have other choices.
I don't see how that can be your takeaway. As Tysmith alludes to, Southie has been problematic for a long time in terms of serious crime. That didn't stop people from paying 3k+ for a two bedroom after the Seaport District went up. People seem to want to live close to where they work. The neighborhoods that are closer to Boston's business centers, like many areas of Dorchester and Roxbury, are more desirable than neighborhoods that are further out, which is why they are more expensive.

This is neither here not there but I also wouldn't agree that Dorchester and Roxbury are in total areas where people are frequently shot and stabbed. The crime in Dorchester and Roxbury is more localized than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2017, 10:49 PM
 
Location: New England
1,931 posts, read 1,074,088 times
Reputation: 1685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
there may not have been any in savin hill but there have been in dorchester and savin hill is part of dorchester:

Dorchester crime | Universal Hub

That is a lot of shootings right there...and i know of another that happened last week that isnt on that list. So i'm sure there other unrecorded ones.
Sure Savin Hill is near some bad neighborhoods. However it's blocks from the Tony parts of the South End to probably the worst part of the city where Mass Ave and Melinda Crass meet up (lots of drugs, homeless, crime, and beggers). It also isin't far from some of the bad parts of Roxbury. That doesn't the south end from being one of the most expensive and desirable neighborhoods in Boston.

Savin Hill isin't the south end (the housing stock is worse) but I could argue that parts of Dorchester like Savin Hill have just as much if not more potential then Southie.

This sounds bad but the reason why Southie gentrified so much despite it's former seedyness is because it was a white neighborhood. If Southie was an African American neighborhood it would be more like Roxbury is today. It just seems like black neighborhoods tend to gentrify much more slowly compared to white, or even Asian and Hispanic ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2017, 05:05 AM
 
7,007 posts, read 6,711,305 times
Reputation: 4686
Southie has a population of 35k vs. 15k in Savin Hill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2017, 05:11 AM
 
7,007 posts, read 6,711,305 times
Reputation: 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by such sweet thunder View Post
I understand what you're trying to get at in theory but it doesn't make sense in practice. What you have described if it is indeed the case would only put a floor on sale prices in certain areas, it wouldn't explain the high purchase prices in parts of Roxbury and Dorchester, and it would have no influence on rental prices. (If anything, it might have a negative influence on rental prices to the extent that landlords renting to people in Section 8 are less likely to upkeep their homes.)
It might not make sense but that is how it is, how it has been for as long as I can remember. Even back in the 80s, the market rate rents were higher in Roxbury than they were in Brighton. You cannot tell me Roxbury was a desirable place back then, to live.


There is not always a correlation between what an absentee investor is willing to pay, to where actual people want to make their home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top