U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 10:10 AM

3,268 posts, read 2,199,449 times

Advertisements

Seaport /southie are closer to boston proper than savin hill. That is likely why people paid what they paid to live there. Dorchester is still further out and while on the redline it still takes time in rush hour to get to south station, downtown, park st. Etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 10:18 AM

149 posts, read 138,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
It might not make sense but that is how it is, how it has been for as long as I can remember. Even back in the 80s, the market rate rents were higher in Roxbury than they were in Brighton. You cannot tell me Roxbury was a desirable place back then, to live.

There is not always a correlation between what an absentee investor is willing to pay, to where actual people want to make their home.
There is not always a correlation between what an absentee investor is willing to pay and true desireability. But renters are not investors. There is no gain for a renter through speculation about real estate prices. And for what it's worth, as I pointed out above, rental prices appear to lead sale prices, not the reverse, which makes sense. I think this whole idea of the real estate speculator is a little overblown. Most neighborhood landlords are not big time corporations that can afford to take those types of gambles. They buy in neighborhoods once a some broader history of demand at certain price points is established. So sale prices can lag rental prices in truly hot neighborhoods.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:48 AM

6,007 posts, read 13,190,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by such sweet thunder View Post
I don't agree with the premise of this thread that Roxbury and Dorchester have a bad rap in the first place. Do they really? I'm sure there are many people who wouldn't consider living in a historically minority-majority neighborhood. But that cocktail chatter isn't really an accurate measure of a neighborhoods desirability. There's a measure out there for desirability that doesn't lie, housing costs.

Rentals in Fort Hill, Roxbury are more expensive than comparable rentals in JP pretty much across the board. It's still cheaper to buy in Fort Hill than JP but not buy much, and how long is that going to last, given the connection between rentals and home sales.

Broad swaths of Dorchester are pricey as well, Savin Hill in particular. Lower Mills can be pricey and that's really Mattapan. The general sentiment about the reputation of certain places on this board seem to clash with those of the community at large.

There are all kind of reasons that areas of Roxbury and Dorchester communities have been as hot as they are. A lot of it is location and commuting options.
SSHHH, hush now. Some of us displaced Bostonians would still like to pretend that we can one day afford to come back and buy property in the area. Personally I kind of like the fact that my old 'hood of Roxbury hasn't become an over-gentrified hot mess of yoga studios and vegan restaurants (says the person now living in an over-gentrified portion of Brooklyn). I have a cousin who is still bitter that he passed up the option to buy in Lower Mills and Roslindale back in the mid-90's.

Seriously though, Fort Hill was always a hidden jewel in Roxbury, even back in the day. I remember doing an art crawl through the homes of the various artists living there back in the late 90's with a youth program group. Grove Hall has some nice inventory in spots, as does Uphams Corner, Fields Corner, and even parts of Dudley Sq. Just have to play the waiting game and wait as the gun violence continue to decrease. If I ever did move back to the Boston area, I would love to move back to the Egleston Sq. area where I grew up.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:29 AM

1,101 posts, read 439,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
I have a cousin who is still bitter that he passed up the option to buy in Lower Mills and Roslindale back in the mid-90's.
If only we all knew.. My folks sold their place right up near Pleasant for $35k back in the day. I just saw it sell for $675k.
My aunts place across from Boston English just sold for $700+ and they couldn't wait to get out of there in 99.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:12 AM

10,955 posts, read 7,732,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by such sweet thunder View Post
I don't agree with the premise of this thread that Roxbury and Dorchester have a bad rap in the first place. Do they really? I'm sure there are many people who wouldn't consider living in a historically minority-majority neighborhood. But that cocktail chatter isn't really an accurate measure of a neighborhoods desirability. There's a measure out there for desirability that doesn't lie, housing costs.

Rentals in Fort Hill, Roxbury are more expensive than comparable rentals in JP pretty much across the board. It's still cheaper to buy in Fort Hill than JP but not buy much, and how long is that going to last, given the connection between rentals and home sales.

Broad swaths of Dorchester are pricey as well, Savin Hill in particular. Lower Mills can be pricey and that's really Mattapan. The general sentiment about the reputation of certain places on this board seem to clash with those of the community at large.

There are all kind of reasons that areas of Roxbury and Dorchester communities have been as hot as they are. A lot of it is location and commuting options.
Lower Mills is in Dorchester.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:17 AM

What about hyde park? That's right next to roslindale and parts of roxbury...maybe even dorchester and definitely JP. It's never mentioned on this forum.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:05 AM

Hyde park is discussed a lot when these topics come up.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:53 AM

I think Roslindale is HP's future.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
I think Roslindale is HP's future.
I disagree. But what does that have to do with the OP's thread?

Old 08-01-2017, 10:33 AM

Why do you disagree? They are very similar places and now people are getting priced out of rozzi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or