U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 03:51 PM

7,079 posts, read 6,741,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Damn, how did Hyde park become the second east desirable neighborhood in the city?? After Mattapan. Times change man...
Right how times do change. It was always the 2nd most desirable outer neighborhood after West Roxbury, and considerably nicer than Roslindale or most of Dorchester.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 04:22 PM

3,268 posts, read 2,203,427 times
I think it is also at a disadvantage because it is further out and the trend now is that people want to be closer to boston proper as they can get.

From what I've read many of their long time residents dont want anything new like fancy restaurants and bars because it will create more traffic...seems ridiculous because many of them are home owners and this would help their property values in the long run.

Antonio's bacaro is there and had gotten quite a few write ups and seems to be doing well. Like boston it is segregated also. Fairmount/Readville are mostly white while the other side of cleary sq closer to Mattapan is mostly black.

Old 08-04-2017, 04:24 PM

1,126 posts, read 446,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Ok so Cleary sq is ghetto. We get it. That doesn't mean that every neighborhood in HP is.
I'm not calling it ghetto. you asked why it is less desirable than other neighborhoods. I told you. There are beautiful houses in hyde park. All I was saying is younger people who are buying houses care about the community and sht. thats all.

Old 08-04-2017, 04:30 PM

I also think people must be afraid to invest in hyde park so they go to a place like Rozzi or up which is already hot. There's no way everyone could be willing to pay 600k for a 1300 as ft home just because it's near a cute coffee shop.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:52 AM

489 posts, read 362,958 times
Apparently there's plenty of people in Dorchester who are willing to pay $600k for a 1100sqft floor in a triple decker, and $60 for a steak at a restaurant next to the said triple decker. Gentrification train left the station years ago, at this point it looks more like the Orient Express disgorging hordes of yuppies with very deep pockets. Not that there's anything wrong with it.

Old 08-05-2017, 12:45 PM

Stupid.

Old 08-05-2017, 01:19 PM

1,173 posts, read 872,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Way to attach race to it.
I don't see many whites near Codman square,But there sure as F is more life there than cleary square.
Fort hill was pretty black. Theres whites everywhere.
I remember not seeing many whites in the S. End back in the day.......

I'm not sure what expensive stores you speak of in roslindale. I mean all im saying is that if I want a beer after work, I'm sure as hell not going to the Cottage
I live by the shawmut stop now and would say codman square is considerably more ghetto than clearly square, when I lived in wood Ave near river street. Considerably more.

People like to paint the south end as having Been this Uber black neighborhood when in reality it wasn't it was. A while back I looked at demographic trends of the south wend. 4 never less than 42-43% white-it was just derelict and people associate that with black people. Now it's about 55-56% white.

South end always had very very nice neighborhoods but larger portions of it were derelict. And while it was blacker then than it is now (15% vs 25-%30~1980/1970). It was never Roxbury. Fort Hill might be a better example. Just sociology says most white don't want to move into a black neighborhood if they can move somewhere else first.

I'm not injecting race into it we're talking real life, there is race and data and trends and so on.

Old 08-05-2017, 01:41 PM

'Just sociology says most white don't want to move into a black neighborhood if they can move somewhere else first. '

likely true but many have moved to dorchester lately and most associate dorchester as being a mainly black neighborhood. It does seem like seemingly nice restaurants and bars are what get white people to move there. Hence the reason HP does not attract many white professionals these days.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:00 AM

1,126 posts, read 446,042 times
I'm sure this statement holds true for every race too. I think Chinese like to live near Chinese, and Blacks like to live near blacks. let us not pretend that white people are this twisted disgusting race that hate everyone.. because that is in fact trendy to do these days'

Old 08-07-2017, 08:40 AM

1,173 posts, read 872,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
I'm sure this statement holds true for every race too. I think Chinese like to live near Chinese, and Blacks like to live near blacks. let us not pretend that white people are this twisted disgusting race that hate everyone.. because that is in fact trendy to do these days'
Not what I was saying, I agree with your statement.

I guess at the core of what I'm trying to say is that often times a neighborhood isn't considered lifeline/vibrant/up and coming/hot and so forth I'm by realtors and the dominant groups/forces in the market (in EMasd that is certainly white people) unless white people are moving there...I can think of few minority dominated areas in the state considered hot in trendy or vibrant outside of Dot/Rox, all thats holding those two back is a high level of gangs/crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or