U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 08:09 AM

1,088 posts, read 437,134 times

Advertisements

To your point...
I see a lot of other communities building their neighborhoods to tailor to their needs. Vietnamese, Dominican, Irish, Italian........
What is stopping these so called "black Neighborhoods"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 09:04 AM

486 posts, read 361,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
To your point...
I see a lot of other communities building their neighborhoods to tailor to their needs. Vietnamese, Dominican, Irish, Italian........
Bullets. Most have pretty good stopping power.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:28 AM

7,889 posts, read 6,822,879 times
Quote:
To your point...
Institutional racism and cultural imperialism.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:35 AM

8,653 posts, read 8,788,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Not what I was saying, I agree with your statement.

I guess at the core of what I'm trying to say is that often times a neighborhood isn't considered lifeline/vibrant/up and coming/hot and so forth I'm by realtors and the dominant groups/forces in the market (in EMasd that is certainly white people) unless white people are moving there...I can think of few minority dominated areas in the state considered hot in trendy or vibrant outside of Dot/Rox, all thats holding those two back is a high level of gangs/crime.
Really its Mass Transit, the areas of Roxbury along the Orange Line and Dorchester along the Red Line are more developed and wealthier than the rest of the area. (it also Concentrates the Poverty between the Red and Orange Lines, Dudley Square would be like South Boston is the Orange line never moved, and Everett like Somerville.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:20 AM

1,088 posts, read 437,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Really its Mass Transit, the areas of Roxbury along the Orange Line and Dorchester along the Red Line are more developed and wealthier than the rest of the area. (it also Concentrates the Poverty between the Red and Orange Lines, Dudley Square would be like South Boston is the Orange line never moved, and Everett like Somerville.
True. This is why Hyde Park always comes up too.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
True. This is why Hyde Park always comes up too.
If it's mass transit, why is Charlestown pretty good? Or Union Square, Inman Square, Oak Square etc?

None of these areas have a T line particularly close by.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:28 AM

3,268 posts, read 2,197,578 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
If it's mass transit, why is Charlestown pretty good? Or Union Square, Inman Square, Oak Square etc?

This is something i dont get either. HP has Fairmount, the HP stop AND the Readville stop. They are all commuter rail stops i know...but there is still transit. W. Rox and Roslindale have less options yet everyone thinks the commute from those places is so wonderful.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:50 AM

8,653 posts, read 8,788,567 times
Quote:

Most of Charlestown is within a 1/2 mile of either Sullivan Square or Community College in upper Roxbury the Red and Orange lines are like 4 miles apart making bus the only transit readily available.

And Union Square is being developed in inticipation of the GLX, Union square was rundown as late as the mid 2000s

Old 08-07-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Most of Charlestown is within a 1/2 mile of either Sullivan Square or Community College in upper Roxbury the Red and Orange lines are like 4 miles apart making bus the only transit readily available.

And Uinin Square is being developed in inticipation of the GLX, Union square was rundown as late as the mid 2000s
So it's really the people come first, then the mass transit.

Gov loves piggy backing off development and then taking credit for it.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:58 AM

3,268 posts, read 2,197,578 times
Default re

Quote:
So it's really the people come first, then the mass transit.

Gov loves piggy backing off development and then taking credit for it.

wasnt really the case for dorchester. Dorchester was an undesirable place for a long time even with the redline. Then people started getting priced out of many places and gave dot a shot...seems to be happening with quincy also
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or