U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-07-2017, 12:06 PM
 
8,638 posts, read 8,771,906 times
Reputation: 5185

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
So it's really the people come first, then the mass transit.

Gov loves piggy backing off development and then taking credit for it.
No because that area started turning around at the promise of mass transit the plan was made public and then developers are building/renovating so by the time they are in the market they can sell for prices fitting for condos/offices along mass transit while they bought the land on a discounted no access rate.
But then the project got delayed 7 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-07-2017, 12:13 PM
 
Location: Boston, MA
7,854 posts, read 6,805,356 times
Reputation: 6573
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
No because that area started turning around at the promise of mass transit the plan was made public and then developers are building/renovating so by the time they are in the market they can sell for prices fitting for condos/offices along mass transit while they bought the land on a discounted no access rate.
But then the project got delayed 7 years.
And mass transit is the only possible explanation? Not anything else? Like I don't know- work?

What about entire cities that turned around without much transit at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2017, 12:16 PM
 
8,638 posts, read 8,771,906 times
Reputation: 5185
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
And mass transit is the only possible explanation? Not anything else? Like I don't know- work?

What about entire cities that turned around without much transit at all?
Compare Everett, Chelsea, Lynn, Roxbury, Hyde Park to The Fens, Somerville, Cambridge, South Boston, East Boston or Quincy and you can see there is a clear trend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2017, 12:28 PM
 
Location: Boston, MA
7,854 posts, read 6,805,356 times
Reputation: 6573
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Compare Everett, Chelsea, Lynn, Roxbury, Hyde Park to The Fens, Somerville, Cambridge, South Boston, East Boston or Quincy and you can see there is a clear trend.
So the Red line can take credit for Southie now, but it was something else going wrong in the 80s right?

So we should build everyone a train line?

My neighborhood (Oak Square) is not serviced by any train within a mile. Why aren't we the hood?

Seriously, this is just so simplistic. Trains for everyone I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2017, 12:47 PM
 
1,068 posts, read 431,083 times
Reputation: 1319
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Institutional racism and cultural imperialism.
And this isn't simplistic?
How many of those other cultures were once, if not still considered scum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2017, 12:50 PM
 
8,638 posts, read 8,771,906 times
Reputation: 5185
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
So the Red line can take credit for Southie now, but it was something else going wrong in the 80s right?

So we should build everyone a train line?

My neighborhood (Oak Square) is not serviced by any train within a mile. Why aren't we the hood?

Seriously, this is just so simplistic. Trains for everyone I guess.
There are other factors but access is a huge part of it. A place like Sullivan Square being a 15 minute Train Ride vs a 40 minute Bus ride to DTX is a huge plus.
Part of the reason the South Boston Seaport was successful was the economies of scale, you could build large buildings with huge floor plans which is cheaper than a bunch of tiny building squeezed into tiny parcels but its proximity to the Silver Line Busway and South Station did help in its development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2017, 01:23 PM
 
3,268 posts, read 2,193,284 times
Reputation: 2682
At one point trains were only meant to be for people who couldn't afford cars really. No one knew that today boston area travel would be the mess that it has become.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top