U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2017, 03:34 PM

486 posts, read 361,051 times

Advertisements

Families with kids are more than welcome to rent if they specify they need the apartment deleaded and agree upon rent that is reflective of deleading expense. Families who want to abuse the law to score a heavily discounted non-deleaded apartment and force the landlord to delead after the fact need to be force-fed a pound of powdered dry lead paint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 03:34 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,354,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
So you're saying they're obligated to rent to a family with children even though there's 30 other more profitable and trouble-free renters without children competing for the same apartment? That's very interesting to say the least.
I mean, you clearly can discriminate, it's just against the law. It's also illegal to only rent to certain races because "they're less trouble." From my understanding it's fairly easy to get away with it.

Old 07-26-2017, 03:55 PM

2,769 posts, read 2,212,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
Families with kids are more than welcome to rent if they specify they need the apartment deleaded and agree upon rent that is reflective of deleading expense. Families who want to abuse the law to score a heavily discounted non-deleaded apartment and force the landlord to delead after the fact need to be force-fed a pound of powdered dry lead paint.
Yes, that's called discrimination.

Old 07-26-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Yes, that's called discrimination.
And thanks to that idiotic law that allows renters to screw landlords and all the idiots who support it, no one here rents to families with kids. If you want something expensive you gotta pay for it, no one is going to give it to you for free.

Old 07-26-2017, 05:25 PM

418 posts, read 247,283 times
We we quantify 'how much' de-leading actually costs. I've heard it can cost as high as 15k per unit.

How if the landlord just bought the the unit, I can see it being an issue but for landlords who have owned for 15 years+, this should be manageable especially since its a one-time cost and is deductible (over time)

Any one have any real experience? I know that Boston REQUIRES that the de-leading be done by certified professionals.. but is it really more than 15k? and 2 months of time?

Old 07-26-2017, 05:42 PM

3,268 posts, read 2,196,076 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
If you don't want to rent to families with kids you'll have to advertise the apartment by word of mouth not to the general public.
Right and that is often what people do.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:26 PM

7,072 posts, read 10,817,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
We we quantify 'how much' de-leading actually costs. I've heard it can cost as high as 15k per unit.

How if the landlord just bought the the unit, I can see it being an issue but for landlords who have owned for 15 years+, this should be manageable especially since its a one-time cost and is deductible (over time)

Any one have any real experience? I know that Boston REQUIRES that the de-leading be done by certified professionals.. but is it really more than 15k? and 2 months of time?
A previous poster in the thread said that they paid almost $20 thousand because they wanted to preserve their woodwork rather than replacing it with cheapo stuff.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:37 PM

418 posts, read 247,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Right and that is often what people do.
Thats a very interesting approach! Although unless you refuse to rent to couples, the renters are eventually going to have children. I guess at that point, you can just choose to take the unit off market for a a few months after their lease to stay within the law... and then look for new tenants again

Old 07-26-2017, 07:42 PM

2,769 posts, read 2,212,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
Thats a very interesting approach! Although unless you refuse to rent to couples, the renters are eventually going to have children. I guess at that point, you can just choose to take the unit off market for a a few months after their lease to stay within the law... and then look for new tenants again
Using the logic of many people who are defending the landlords, they might as well just not rent to women at all because they can become pregnant and then you have to delead.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Using the logic of many people who are defending the landlords, they might as well just not rent to women at all because they can become pregnant and then you have to delead.
Find a deleaded apartment or buy one, why should someone else spend $40,000 (cost of deleading + two months worth of hotel) on you just because you couldn't keep your legs together? There's plenty of landlords who already chose to delead so they can charge higher rents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or