U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-27-2017, 08:44 AM
 
Location: North Andover
442 posts, read 348,336 times
Reputation: 463

Advertisements

Can't believe some of the comments on this thread! Pumpkin114 hopefully you found a place that is suitable for you and your family. Next time someone tells you no kids please report them whether they are a landlord or an agent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-27-2017, 08:45 AM
 
2,769 posts, read 2,213,702 times
Reputation: 2174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Then he should be able to say, no I will rent to someone else.
That's called discrimination. Apparently this doesn't bother you, which is fine, but please don't ever become a landlord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2017, 08:57 AM
 
32,740 posts, read 22,697,194 times
Reputation: 29792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Then he should be able to say, no I will rent to someone else.


Do you think they should be able to refused to rent to someone based on race? religion? gender? national origin as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2017, 09:00 AM
 
3,268 posts, read 2,196,752 times
Reputation: 2682
No I can absolutely see why people avoid renting to kids if they have lead in their home! Some jerk landlords rent to kids anyways not caring. I'd rather they deny someone with kids than have them live there and get lead poisoning. You just want nothing less than for them to be like, oh of course I'll pay 20k to delead the place so you and your kids can move in. I mean do you really think that's how it always goes??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2017, 09:05 AM
 
1,080 posts, read 435,894 times
Reputation: 1324
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Do you think they should be able to refused to rent to someone based on race? religion? gender? national origin as well?
I think this is more of a "I dont want to rent to someone that will cause me to shell out $20k of my money when I can easily rent to someone as is"

I don't think your instances would ever cause the landlord to put up that much money upfront. They seem more of the reactionary kind. To compare gross and unjust instances to something you disagree with.

This is plain and simple about a person shelling out $

If the landlord said he didn't want to rent to a black family, that is for different reasons, and not the same scenario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2017, 09:11 AM
 
281 posts, read 150,205 times
Reputation: 379
Civil rights act of '64
- Age.
- Pregnancy
- National Origin
- Race
- Ethnic Background.
- Religious Beliefs.
- Sexual Orientation

...one is not more protected than the other
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2017, 09:11 AM
 
32,740 posts, read 22,697,194 times
Reputation: 29792
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
I think this is more of a "I dont want to rent to someone that will cause me to shell out $20k of my money when I can easily rent to someone as is"

I don't think your instances would ever cause the landlord to put up that much money upfront. They seem more of the reactionary kind. To compare gross and unjust instances to something you disagree with.

This is plain and simple about a person shelling out $

If the landlord said he didn't want to rent to a black family, that is for different reasons, and not the same scenario.




The argument was made quite a bit that selling or renting to black people will bring down property values, resale values, rent prices, etc. One of the reasons covenant clauses were enacted. Not renting to various groups, while not upfront with the costs, were and are absolutely financial arguments for many.


Still, its the law, and that's what matters. If people don't like a law, there is a process to change it. Being a business owner and ignoring it or violating it really shouldn't be an acceptable option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2017, 09:21 AM
 
1,080 posts, read 435,894 times
Reputation: 1324
I see all the points being made here. But it is a law that is tough to prove. The fact that some people were telling the OP to flat out lie to the landlord for her benefit wether legal or not would lead to a very sticky landlord/renter situation. It looks like she did find a place. and hopefully she loves it, and her child flourishes. And Landlord X is also happy that he can continue to rent his place in the same price market without doing a major repair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2017, 09:23 AM
 
32,740 posts, read 22,697,194 times
Reputation: 29792
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
I see all the points being made here. But it is a law that is tough to prove. The fact that some people were telling the OP to flat out lie to the landlord for her benefit wether legal or not would lead to a very sticky landlord/renter situation. It looks like she did find a place. and hopefully she loves it, and her child flourishes. And Landlord X is also happy that he can continue to rent his place in the same price market without doing a major repair.


Having a law be tough to prove doesn't make it less important. Lots of things are tough to prove, from some cases of sexual harassment, or redlining, or bribery. They still need to be enforced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2017, 09:24 AM
 
3,268 posts, read 2,196,752 times
Reputation: 2682
No. This is different than I dont want to rent to you because you're black. This is i dont want to rent to you because youre going to cost me an extra 20k and I could rent to someone else who wouldn't. It isn't personal it money. THAT isn't rocket science
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top