U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 01:10 PM

418 posts, read 247,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Why would they with the fees theyre expected to pay
It was supposed to weed out slumlords, but since they are not going to self register why drag every single landlord into this registering bs.

If the city wants to extort landlords, they have a better chance at Airbnb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 02:36 PM

282 posts, read 150,205 times
The funny thing is that by not deleading landlords are throwing money away ....... so the argument about the cost is very shortsighted.

If you can't foot the cost upfront there are many financial assistance programs available.
Is There Financial Assistance for Deleading?
There are also tax rebates, depreciated improvements etc. etc.

I really don't understand some of opinions on here and I say this as a landlord of multiple properties that are all lead paint compliant - on a $ basis alone it makes no sense not to do it. In case you have not noticed, there are more and more high income families with young kids in Boston and they are willing to pay a premium for lead compliant accommodation.

What was that phrase again ..... penny wise and pound foolish?

Old 07-27-2017, 03:25 PM

3,268 posts, read 2,196,752 times
Again i was mainly talking about a person who doesn't have a lot of money and is looking to rent out a house or apt.

Old 07-27-2017, 03:44 PM

16 posts, read 7,665 times
Quote:
Again i was mainly talking about a person who doesn't have a lot of money and is looking to rent out a house or apt.
That type of landlord is able to access financial assistance (and afterwards, financial incentives) as Sawyer pointed out though. Parents with a young child who make enough to pay the 2k rent that the landlord was asking do not get any financial assistance (as far as I know). So even if this poor landlord gets forced into compliance, they can (at least for now) recoup their money on the next lease and another child safe home has been created. Right now landlords like Sawyer are seeing the advantage of this, in the future when hopefully de-leaded rentals are plentiful, the landlords who do it late would eventually have to pay but maybe won't be able to charge as much of a premium for it as they seem to get now.

Regarding the encapsulation method not being compliant, everything I've read has said approved encapsulation is compliant so I'm a little confused about that?

Old 07-27-2017, 03:52 PM

I am not sure I'm encapsulation and compliance. If it's done correctly it should be fine but technically the lead is still there so it's not as good as deleading.

Old 07-27-2017, 05:53 PM

486 posts, read 361,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
There are exemptions for people renting out their own home (aka they live in the building), I believe. If not, I agree, there should be.

None of these laws benefit me, and I don't know any dope peddlers to tell and would have no way of knowing if someone is an undocumented immigrant.. That is for Federal agents to handle, since being in the country without a valid visa is a Federal civil violation (not a criminal violation).

Do try to keep up.

Sorry bro, that's not how it works - you're either for law, period, or against it. You can't demand everybody follows one law but no one has to follow another. If you want every landlord in MA to delead their rentals because it's the law you better want every illegal to leave because that's also the law, and if you're encouraging people to report landlords who do not comply you better also be encouraging people to call ICE about every illegal they know of instead of littering the common with "save teh families" signs. Yes, we know both are laws, both are unfair and both benefit one group at the expense of another, but if one has to be followed to the T, so does the other one. If not, you're nothing but a hypocrite who should not be taken seriously.

Old 07-27-2017, 06:01 PM

Good points! If all landlords should be deleading them all people should absolutely have an updated driver's license, registration, and of course car insurance.

And the minute someone no longer qualifies for EBT or welfare they should immediately get off of it.

People lie about so many things from resumes to financial aid applications to tax fraud it's not even funny. But let's crucify any landlord who hasn't deleaded and doesn't want to rent to kids under 6. Those are the people in this city that are the real problems.

Last edited by Whatsnext75; 07-27-2017 at 06:02 PM.. Reason: Added

Old 07-27-2017, 06:43 PM

486 posts, read 361,236 times
Quote:
Good points! If all landlords should be deleading them all people should absolutely have an updated driver's license, registration, and of course car insurance.

And the minute someone no longer qualifies for EBT or welfare they should immediately get off of it.

People lie about so many things from resumes to financial aid applications to tax fraud it's not even funny. But let's crucify any landlord who hasn't deleaded and doesn't want to rent to kids under 6. Those are the people in this city that are the real problems.

Furthermore, many landlords don't want to rent to families with kids not even because of the whole deleading idiocy but because kids can easily be way more destructive than dogs. No one wants to repair the walls, refinish the floors, replace the carpets and possibly the appliances every time a tenant with a particularly "artistically-inclined" and/or "special needs" kid moves out. And yes, we all know about security deposits but there's only so much $2000 or so can cover, and no one is going to try to recover the other $8000 when it would cost them $10000 in court fees.

Last edited by bigfatdude; 07-27-2017 at 07:02 PM..

Old 07-27-2017, 06:46 PM

Agree that there are other reasons people dont want to rent to kids. We live in a culture where anyone who doesn't want to cater to kids is just terrible.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:09 PM

114 posts, read 64,875 times
I would rather have my spouse oppose my sexual advances in regard of this topic. Keep your legs shut tight, I say. Landlords have enough problems trying to discriminate between good and bad tenants without having to deal with the added nuisance of mini humans feeding on their lead laden banisters, then sueing them for the bad nutrition. I suppose in due time though, when that scare is replaced by the mdf trim debacle, we will look back on lead paint as a positively minor problem compared to the emanations from said mdf adhesives present in all mouldings in modern houses. Just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or