U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 03:53 PM

3,604 posts, read 1,855,094 times

Advertisements

So I have a question. Owners here are complaining about the cost of deleading and I can understand it's a big expense. But the requirement has been around for over 20 years - why wasn't it done before the stricter/more expensive rules came into place? 10 years ago it probably would have cost so much less and let's face it, most of the rental units aren't going to have uber beautiful moldings that one would have wanted to keep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 03:56 PM

423 posts, read 251,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
So I have a question. Owners here are complaining about the cost of deleading and I can understand it's a big expense. But the requirement has been around for over 20 years - why wasn't it done before the stricter/more expensive rules came into place? 10 years ago it probably would have cost so much less and let's face it, most of the rental units aren't going to have uber beautiful moldings that one would have wanted to keep.
Simply because 1 in 20 applicants have kids under 6 and demand is still good. Easier to take next tenant than to drop 20k

Old 07-28-2017, 08:18 PM

3,268 posts, read 2,211,356 times
Right and even of the cost were 5k today that's not exactly chump change to most people. Heck even if it were 1k it's easier to find someone else. So whatever it was 10 to 15 yrs ago it was still easier to find someone else rather than pay. Also I'm sure there are plenty of landlords who have sucked it up and paid the fee!

Old 07-28-2017, 08:34 PM

3,514 posts, read 4,389,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
Simply because 1 in 20 applicants have kids under 6 and demand is still good. Easier to take next tenant than to drop 20k
That only works if you violate the fair housing act, which you seem to openly admit to doing. Are you worried about possible repercussions, or have you deemed those so unlikely that you can ignore them?

Old 07-29-2017, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
That only works if you violate the fair housing act, which you seem to openly admit to doing. Are you worried about possible repercussions, or have you deemed those so unlikely that you can ignore them?
if demand is high, you can time the showings to have at least 2 or 3 people look at it on the same day. Sit across the road in your car and don't come out if they have kids. Cannot be proved

Look, I'm not saying this is ethical but this is the un-intended consequences the law has created.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:35 AM

489 posts, read 364,751 times
Quote:
if demand is high, you can time the showings to have at least 2 or 3 people look at it on the same day. Sit across the road in your car and don't come out if they have kids. Cannot be proved

Look, I'm not saying this is ethical but this is the un-intended consequences the law has created.
The road to hell is always paved with good intentions, there's plenty of feel-good laws with really awful consequences.

Old 07-29-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
The road to hell is always paved with good intentions, there's plenty of feel-good laws with really awful consequences.
The rental law should be similar to the procedures used when buying a lead-laced house:
The renter has to sign a form which clearly states there is likely lead(in every language under the sun including Braille and verbal), which can cause issues with children under 6 or pregnant women. The renter can refuse to rent but for some oddball reason the states thinks renters are too dumb to read and are not responsible for their own actions.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:48 AM

6,326 posts, read 10,526,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
No one is forced to be a landlord. I don't feel sorry for them whatsoever.
Who is asking anyone to feel sorry for landlords? I am simply talking about what the reality is of the business.

All landlords "discriminate" by making a choice among who they want to interview to be tenants for whatever reasons- be they financial or based on pets or whatever- if you don't understand the reality of that- too bad. They pick the best choice available.
Tenant quality varies widely.

If you were a landlord and you had any brains, trust me, you'd do the same. Otherwise, you'd be out of business as soon as your place was destroyed by bad tenants or you went bankrupt because of a drawn out eviction.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Who is asking anyone to feel sorry for landlords? I am simply talking about what the reality is of the business.

All landlords "discriminate" by making a choice among who they want to interview to be tenants for whatever reasons- be they financial or based on pets or whatever- if you don't understand the reality of that- too bad. They pick the best choice available.
Tenant quality varies widely.

If you were a landlord and you had any brains, trust me, you'd do the same. Otherwise, you'd be out of business as soon as your place was destroyed by bad tenants or you went bankrupt because of a drawn out eviction.
I'm starting to wonder if this is why 'brokers' can stay in business in the rental space. The landlord tells the broker 'wink wink' that the unit is NOT de-leaded and the broker will simply not show this unit to their clients with kids. If the broker only keeps a record of available units in their head and the unit is not advertised anywhere else, there would be simply no way this could be proven in court

The only way to stop this madness is to alter the lead-law restrictions and put some responsibility to the renter. If the renter knowingly rents a lead-laced apartment, their child has bigger problems than lead.. ie irresponsible parents who endanger their own kids

Old 07-30-2017, 03:13 PM

2,772 posts, read 2,232,409 times
Quote:
I'm starting to wonder if this is why 'brokers' can stay in business in the rental space. The landlord tells the broker 'wink wink' that the unit is NOT de-leaded and the broker will simply not show this unit to their clients with kids. If the broker only keeps a record of available units in their head and the unit is not advertised anywhere else, there would be simply no way this could be proven in court

The only way to stop this madness is to alter the lead-law restrictions and put some responsibility to the renter. If the renter knowingly rents a lead-laced apartment, their child has bigger problems than lead.. ie irresponsible parents who endanger their own kids
The AG actually has gone after brokers engaged in steering by having people pose as prospective tenants with kids. Lots of brokers in Allston got caught steering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or