U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-30-2017, 03:43 PM
 
487 posts, read 362,308 times
Reputation: 801

Advertisements

It's so amusing seeing people screaming about rents being too high in one post, and screaming for laws that would make them much higher in another. Is it Stockholm syndrome, masochism or just plain old stupidity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-31-2017, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Boston, MA
7,905 posts, read 6,839,868 times
Reputation: 6645
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
It's so amusing seeing people screaming about rents being too high in one post, and screaming for laws that would make them much higher in another. Is it Stockholm syndrome, masochism or just plain old stupidity?
Stupidity if feeling uncharitable. Ignorant and uncurious to be charitable.

Cause and effect is not a strong suit of this board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2017, 04:36 PM
 
Location: Westwood, MA
3,478 posts, read 4,366,329 times
Reputation: 4482
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
It's so amusing seeing people screaming about rents being too high in one post, and screaming for laws that would make them much higher in another. Is it Stockholm syndrome, masochism or just plain old stupidity?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Stupidity if feeling uncharitable. Ignorant and uncurious to be charitable.

Cause and effect is not a strong suit of this board.
If there were strict enforcement of the FHA:

1) It would make rents higher for people without kids.
2) It would make rents lower for people with kids.

I'm not sure that it would raise rents too much overall. I'm not sure how regulations would affect supply, but I don't think there would be a significant enough drop in supply to make a big change in the market-clearing price. Is there a reason to believe otherwise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2017, 07:47 PM
 
487 posts, read 362,308 times
Reputation: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
If there were strict enforcement of the FHA:

1) It would make rents higher for people without kids.
2) It would make rents lower for people with kids.

I'm not sure that it would raise rents too much overall. I'm not sure how regulations would affect supply, but I don't think there would be a significant enough drop in supply to make a big change in the market-clearing price. Is there a reason to believe otherwise?
Are you really naive enough to think all those cheap apartments you can still find in places where you don't need to wear a bulletproof vest whenever you venture outside if you look hard enough would still be around if all owners were forced to delead? Like I said previously, if you own a property in high-rent area and you're forced to drop $20k just because nanny state says so, another $10k or so to make it a $2500/month 2 bed or $3500/month 3 bed "luxury" apartment is just a drop in the bucket. In the end this accomplishes nothing - only affluent renters who already have plenty of choices would benefit, everyone else gets screwed. And there's plenty of affluent renters to keep the rents high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2017, 08:43 PM
 
Location: Westwood, MA
3,478 posts, read 4,366,329 times
Reputation: 4482
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
Are you really naive enough to think all those cheap apartments you can still find in places where you don't need to wear a bulletproof vest whenever you venture outside if you look hard enough would still be around if all owners were forced to delead? Like I said previously, if you own a property in high-rent area and you're forced to drop $20k just because nanny state says so, another $10k or so to make it a $2500/month 2 bed or $3500/month 3 bed "luxury" apartment is just a drop in the bucket. In the end this accomplishes nothing - only affluent renters who already have plenty of choices would benefit, everyone else gets screwed. And there's plenty of affluent renters to keep the rents high.
Like I said, rents for people without kids will go up. Rents for people with kids should go down. Right now they're forced into a special, smaller segment. I don't see how anything you say affects the total supply or the total demand. Maybe if landlords start turning six small apartments into three big ones. Rents have already skyrocketed, so demand is already growing faster than supply, even with the current lax enforcement of the FHA.

I do agree that the lead law in Massachusetts needs reworking. It's clear that it's not the only reason people discriminate against families, but it's a big one. I don't think the country is ready to get rid of the Fair Housing Act, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2017, 10:29 PM
 
3,268 posts, read 2,200,699 times
Reputation: 2682
Even my aunt didnt want to rent to people under 6 and she's a very kind person who really doesn't have issues with anyone...but she didn't want to deal with those fees.

It seems like MA has come a long way as far as kids and lead levels...not sure if it's because of this or people are more careful or what...but it doesnt seem to be a huge issue as far as kids actually having high lead levels...so maybe these laws and people freaking out about lead paint need to chill a bit. Anything over 2 is considered 'bad these days for kids but when i was growing up I think the level of concern was anything over 25!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top