U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 07:39 AM

16 posts, read 7,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Which is stupid because it's a one time expense and it's money they'll recoup easily in a few years when they can advertise that it's been deleaded. Also, landlords in this area are making a ****ing killing- I don't feel sorry for them.
We even outright said we'd be willing to sign something stating we accept an unknown lead status and wouldn't be bothered by it as long as the paint wasn't chipping terribly. Our daughter is past the stage where kids put everything in their mouth and has never been a wall chewer. I grew up in a pre-1970's home myself, I'm not worried.

Apparently the laws are just so strict they prefer not to take a chance I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 07:50 AM

16 posts, read 7,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston_Burbs View Post
https://www.princetonproperties.com/...eton-crossing/

We lived here for a few months between houses and were very pleased. They are built in the 1970's on (you still have sign a lead form) but they do have a dog building. Free parking, heat included, short walk to downtown Salem/Train. There is also a bus that goes into Haymarket on the street.

Maybe look at other princeton properties too? I always liked renting from a managed complex vs. a multi family.
Thank you, they look good! We've only ever rented in managed complexes but had found most of them to be out of our price range for a 2br.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:52 AM

714 posts, read 836,050 times
We have friends who are being priced out of their apartment complex. No kids, but they have two good-sized dogs. They had to look past the Boston area but within the commuter rail to find a place they could afford which would take the dogs. They finallyt did -- they're moving in two weeks. The downside? The commute to work will be over an hour one way and the town itself borders what's considered a "sketchy" area of the state.

When my now husband first moved back here he had the same issue because of his dogs. He finally found an apartment complex which would take them. However he had to pay a monthly pet fee which became ridiculous after awhile.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:28 AM

8,753 posts, read 8,971,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin114 View Post
We even outright said we'd be willing to sign something stating we accept an unknown lead status and wouldn't be bothered by it as long as the paint wasn't chipping terribly. Our daughter is past the stage where kids put everything in their mouth and has never been a wall chewer. I grew up in a pre-1970's home myself, I'm not worried.

Apparently the laws are just so strict they prefer not to take a chance I suppose.

I don't think signing anything would hold up in court if your child actually did test for high lead and you decided to sue. A lawyer could easily argue that the landlord accepting such a signed doc alludes to the fact that he knew about it. I could see why a landlord would stay away from such a thing.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:43 PM

487 posts, read 362,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin114 View Post

And how would the landlord know you won't turn around and demand he deleads the place and pays for your Four Seasons accommodations while the work is being done the second the lease is signed?

Old 07-25-2017, 06:47 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,220,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
And how would the landlord know you won't turn around and demand he deleads the place and pays for your Four Seasons accommodations while the work is being done the second the lease is signed?
To be fair, the law is the landlord has to delead if a child under 6 will live in the unit. Landlords could solve this problem by not being stupid and just deleading when it's called for- then they never have to worry about it again.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:01 PM

3,268 posts, read 2,201,661 times
Or they can rent to someone else and never have to pay for deleading. My aunt has a triple decker in dorchester that she was renting out at one point. It was old, in ok shape and had lead paint under layers of non lead paint. She had no interest in paying the thousands it cost to delead so she didn't want to rent to people with kids under 6 either. Some landlords dont want to rent to people with kids in general. I dont see the big deal and I have 2 kids myself.

Last edited by Whatsnext75; 07-25-2017 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: Added

Old 07-25-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Or they can rent to someone else and never have to pay for deleading. My aunt has a triple decker in dorchester that she was renting out at one point. It was old, in ok shape and had lead paint under layers of non lead paint. She had no interest in paying the thousands it cost to delead so she didn't want to rent to people with kids under 6 either. Some landlords dont want to rent to people with kids in general. I dont see the big deal and I have 2 kids myself.
It's illegal. That's the big deal. If you don't like it, don't be a landlord.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:12 PM

3,268 posts, read 2,201,661 times
I'm not. But if I owned a home and chose to rent it out youre damn right id be choosy and I wouldnt care if I was breaking the law. Laws are broken all the time and thats a law id break if I was a landlord. I'd be a landlord to my benefit no one else's

Old 07-25-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
I'm not. But if I owned a home and chose to rent it out youre damn right id be choosy and I wouldnt care if I was breaking the law. Laws are broken all the time and thats a law id break if I was a landlord. I'd be a landlord to my benefit no one else's
LOL that's all well and good until you get sued for discrimination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or