U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-26-2017, 05:48 AM
 
Location: Beautiful Rhode Island
6,304 posts, read 10,473,063 times
Reputation: 6092

Advertisements

Renting in Boston is a competition. The person with the fewest negatives (pets, kids, multiple room mates, etc) wins.

Landlords are in business to make money and will attempt to get the best, least problematic tenant(s). They are not social workers.

P.S. Lying about who will live in the apartment will get you evicted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-26-2017, 05:50 AM
 
2,769 posts, read 2,213,702 times
Reputation: 2174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Renting in Boston is a competition. The person with the fewest negatives (pets, kids, multiple room mates, etc) wins.

Landlords are in business to make money and will attempt to get the best, least problematic tenant(s). They are not social workers.

P.S. Lying about who will live in the apartment will get you evicted.
No one is suggesting lying. What we are saying is there is no reason to disclose anything until its time to fill out the rental application.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2017, 06:08 AM
 
1,086 posts, read 435,894 times
Reputation: 1324
When you put up $$$$ for down payment and carry a 30 year mortgage maybe you can pick and chose who you want living in YOUR house too. It's absurd to think a landlord has no choice who will rent their house. I don't want dogs in my house because they spell and they do things that most humans don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2017, 06:11 AM
 
2,769 posts, read 2,213,702 times
Reputation: 2174
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
When you put up $$$$ for down payment and carry a 30 year mortgage maybe you can pick and chose who you want living in YOUR house too. It's absurd to think a landlord has no choice who will rent their house. I don't want dogs in my house because they spell and they do things that most humans don't.
There is an exemption for owner occupied two family houses.

On the other hand if you decide to be a multi unit landlord, you should research the laws involved before deciding to take on the responsibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2017, 06:23 AM
 
Location: Westwood, MA
3,464 posts, read 4,356,729 times
Reputation: 4471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Renting in Boston is a competition. The person with the fewest negatives (pets, kids, multiple room mates, etc) wins.

Landlords are in business to make money and will attempt to get the best, least problematic tenant(s). They are not social workers.

P.S. Lying about who will live in the apartment will get you evicted.
It's illegal to use kids as a negative. Explicitly, in the law, on the books, illegal. I don't know why people keep suggesting this is how landlords should pick tenants. I don't think anyone would be so cavalier in saying "it's my apartment, I just pick the first reasonable white person". Now maybe that's what they do, but at least they know better than to talk about it in public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2017, 06:26 AM
 
3,268 posts, read 2,196,752 times
Reputation: 2682
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
When you put up $$$$ for down payment and carry a 30 year mortgage maybe you can pick and chose who you want living in YOUR house too. It's absurd to think a landlord has no choice who will rent their house. I don't want dogs in my house because they spell and they do things that most humans don't.
Exactly. I am not a landlord nor do I ever plan to be but of course they should be able to be picky about who lives in their house. Thinking anything else is ridiculous. Discrimination my butt. How about I just don't want to deal with you because you seem like a pain and will create more work and bills for me. Have a nice day, hope you find a good fit.

Like someone else mentioned above, if I was a mom with kids under 6 id be looking for a place that was already deleaded. Sometimes newly renovated older places have fresh lead dust laying around and that isn't safe either.

I'm sure the OP is looking for something cheap and with that can come an older place...i guess this is another thing couples in boston with kids under 6 need to think about when renting.

I read an article about a little girl who did have high lead levels from a window sill at a house she living at with her mom in dorchester. So clearly not everyone follows these precautions, parents included. It's not necessarily something people even think about since they are just desperate to find a place to live. Maybe the landlord did disclose to this mom there is lead and she chose to live there anyways.

The real problem to me is the cost of deleading. If it something that is going to help with a health issue then it shouldn't be so damn expensive in the first place. It's not a homeowners fault if they have lead paint under a bunch of layers of new paint which is usually the case. If a landlord wants to delead to prevent children from having high lead levels then I say the state should goddam pay for it. A landlord should not be screwed into paying this fee in order to house someone else's kids...yet I get kids need a place to live...but it shouldn't be the landlord that takes care of this or he should have the right to not rent to kids which at the end of the day he does. Maybe the kids parents should pay for deleading or simply find a place that is already deleaded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2017, 06:32 AM
 
2,769 posts, read 2,213,702 times
Reputation: 2174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Exactly. I am not a landlord nor do I ever plan to be but of course they should be able to be picky about who lives in their house. Thinking anything else is ridiculous. Discrimination my butt. How about I just don't want to deal with you because you seem like a pain and will create more work and bills for me. Have a nice day, hope you find a good fit.

Like someone else mentioned above, if I was a mom with kids under 6 id be looking for a place that was already deleaded. Sometimes newly renovated older places have fresh lead dust laying around and that isn't safe either.

I'm sure the OP is looking for something cheap and with that can come an older place...i guess this is another thing couples in boston with kids under 6 need to think about when renting.

I read an article about a little girl who did have high lead levels from a window sill at a house she living at with her mom in dorchester. So clearly not everyone follows these precautions, parents included. It's not necessarily something people even think about since they are just desperate to find a place to live. Maybe the landlord did disclose to this mom there is lead and she chose to live there anyways.

The real problem to me is the cost of deleading. If it something that is going to help with a health issue then it shouldn't be so damn expensive in the first place. It's not a homeowners fault if they have lead paint under a bunch of layers of new paint which is usually the case. If a landlord wants to delead to prevent children from having high lead levels then I say the state should goddam pay for it. A landlord should not be screwed into paying this fee in order to house someone else's kids...yet I get kids need a place to live...but it shouldn't be the landlord that takes care of this or he should have the right to not rent to kids which at the end of the day he does. Maybe the kids parents should pay for deleading or simply find a place that is already deleaded.
No one is forced to be a landlord. Everyone needs a place to live.

And again, owner occupied two family homes are exempt from this rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2017, 06:36 AM
 
1,086 posts, read 435,894 times
Reputation: 1324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
No one is forced to be a landlord. Everyone needs a place to live.

And again, owner occupied two family homes are exempt from this rule.
Maybe I'm looking at this from a smaller scale. But i sure as hell would not rent MY place to college aged kids. That is in fact discriminatory, but. It's my friggen house and I am the one who has to replace a dishwasher every 6 months, or a refrigerator. And i sure as hell do not want to pay out the nose to de-lead a place that i could just rent to adults with no children. Buy a house and you don't ever have to worry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2017, 06:38 AM
 
32,751 posts, read 22,697,194 times
Reputation: 29792
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Maybe I'm looking at this from a smaller scale. But i sure as hell would not rent MY place to college aged kids. That is in fact discriminatory, but. It's my friggen house and I am the one who has to replace a dishwasher every 6 months, or a refrigerator. And i sure as hell do not want to pay out the nose to de-lead a place that i could just rent to adults with no children. Buy a house and you don't ever have to worry.


College aged kids aren't a protected class. Children are. That's the difference. One is legal to do, the other is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2017, 06:39 AM
 
2,769 posts, read 2,213,702 times
Reputation: 2174
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
College aged kids aren't a protected class. Children are. That's the difference. One is legal to do, the other is not.
Exactly. And in fact many landlords won't rent to students at all or limit it to graduate students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top