U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2017, 09:22 AM

32,850 posts, read 22,792,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
"You must think women fighting back against sexual harassment are "complainers" too. "

Thats an adult thing to say when people are talking about de-leading apartments right?

You were talking about complainers at work. You brought that up, not me, you. Own your words.

We were talking about people excercising their legal rights (requesting an apartment to be deleaded). Since you were comparing those "complainers" to "complainers" at work, you must obviously be comparing apples to apples, and talking about people "complaining" about legal rights at work. People "complaining" about sexual harassment at work is and example of people "complaining" about legal rights at work. An apple to apple comparison.

Or perhaps you were trying to refer to "complainers" at work that aren't 'complaining" about legal rights?If that's the case, why would you make such an off base comparison? Or you meant another type of legal right at work? You didn't specify.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 09:24 AM

16 posts, read 7,714 times
(Sorry I don't have time to go back through and quote others at the moment, but I just read through and am responding to some things off the top of my head)

It was brought up a few times that it's unbelievable they'd say "we won't rent to you because of your small child". While at least two did say this somewhat bluntly (again, over the phone so no proof), most would insinuate it by saying something along the lines of "Sure, we could maybe do a viewing of the property, but I'm gonna tell you that we'll get multiple applications and since the property hasn't been de-leaded I really don't think your application will be successful with this landlord". Again, paraphrasing. They'd seem nice and apologetic about it, but that it's just the realistic outcome. We didn't think it would be worth it to press the issue/waste time. Also complicating things for us is probably that we're moving during the busy season when applicants are seemingly more plentiful.

As far as finding a de-leaded property, this seems difficult in itself at our price point, so I suppose as a pp alluded it's our fault for not making more money before having our only child and agreeing on this move, but we just were not thinking that lead would be a thorn in our side during preliminary research on area rental prices. If we go by some of the glorious logic on this thread-- only people that can pay at least approx $3000/month or buy should be allowed to have children in the immediate suburbs, to hell with the laws! Kids shouldn't have protection, them and their parents just need to buy some more bootstraps and such or move someplace else. All the "poor" kids from educated professional families need not apply(quotations because I'm very thankful for all we have and painfully aware many more somehow make do with less). We hope to buy in the next few years and I plan to find a job myself which would better our situation but it is what it is.

Deleading is unfortunately very expensive to carry out, but lets not pretend the landlords that do do it are making the same as before on rent-- unleaded is a sought after luxury in an area with mostly older housing stock. Even looking into the further out suburbs, rental prices on de-leaded or post-1978 properties are still more but maybe I'm not looking right. Sure there's a few here and there in the price range, but the competition is still steep. Not saying landlords should delead, just saying it's not money down the drain if they are forced to.

I'm so happy that you were allowed to live in your leaded property. I personally make no "ridiculous demands" for "my precious"(nor do I demand my dog be accepted, but offer a large deposit if they'll consider), have stated I'm fine with unknown lead status myself. I am a reasonable person who sees all sides in the matter. I kind of hate the idea parents are all being thought of like this.

Another poster asked if it would maybe be beneficial to change the laws to allow parents sign a lead waiver-- this is what I believe I may have done in another state in the past and I would be happy with that. As long as the property has a coat (realistically several by now) of modern paint, personally I feel comfortable. Others on here are saying they've never heard of this problem though, so maybe we were just not being savvy enough.

Great news! We believe we've finally found a home with a landlord that sounds like a really great person, willing to make an exception on the dog for us. I'm very happy our rent money will be going to them!

Thank you everyone! Dm84 & Timberline, I enjoy your well thought responses

Old 07-26-2017, 09:26 AM

Congratulations, that is good news. What town?

Old 07-26-2017, 09:33 AM

16 posts, read 7,714 times
Thanks! Medford

Old 07-26-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin114 View Post
Thanks! Medford

Very nice.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:36 AM

489 posts, read 363,245 times
You folks need to be careful what you wish for - if all landlords are forced to de-lead, it would make perfect sense for them to add another $10k or so in addition to the $30k+ they're being forced to spend to throw in some cheap granite, stainless appliances, cabinet doors and bathroom fixtures, and all of a sudden all those run-down but affordable $1500 apartments you live in now will become $2500 "new construction luxury units" come next lease cycle.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:40 AM

7,927 posts, read 6,856,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
You folks need to be careful what you wish for - if all landlords are forced to de-lead, it would make perfect sense for them to add another $10k or so in addition to the $30k+ they're being forced to spend to throw in some cheap granite, stainless appliances, cabinet doors and bathroom fixtures, and all of a sudden all those run-down but affordable $1500 apartments you live in now will become $2500 "new construction luxury units" come next lease cycle.
This is also pretty clear to me. Or at least very possible. Most people don't pick up on patterns though.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
This is also pretty clear to me. Or at least very possible. Most people don't pick up on patterns though.
They also don't seem to realize that even if they do weasel their way in by lying and manage to force the landlord to de-lead his $1500 shack after the lease is signed, they'll get booted out the millisecond their lease is up and they'll have a terrible tenant reference that will follow them and prevent them from renting anywhere. And contrary to popular belief giving fake references doesn't work, landlords do background checks and know exactly where your litigious ass used to live and who owns and/or manages that property.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:27 AM

3,502 posts, read 4,374,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
I think you live in a world where the rental price is set by landlord costs. It's set by demand and availability. If the Boston rental market were stagnant I could believe that supply would be reduced if costs increased, but it's not. It's booming. Rents are way up from where they were 10 years ago. Forcing landlords to obey the law would probably just cut into their margins and might depress the resale market for such properties (again, hurting the landlords bottom line).

Old 07-26-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I think you live in a world where the rental price is set by landlord costs. It's set by demand and availability. If the Boston rental market were stagnant I could believe that supply would be reduced if costs increased, but it's not. It's booming. Rents are way up from where they were 10 years ago. Forcing landlords to obey the law would probably just cut into their margins and might depress the resale market for such properties (again, hurting the landlords bottom line).
Exactly, supply and demand, but you seem to be forgetting that equilibrium price for a run-down shack will be very. different from equilibrium price for newly renovated units. But it sounds like on your planet Yugo and Maybach cost the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or