U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 07:45 AM

5,680 posts, read 5,016,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
I'm suprised so many people are saying no car is needed. Call me old fashioned but as a single man ya gotta have a car. But seriously if you are parents with children you really need a car.
The OP needs a car based on where he is working, sure. A single guy (or single woman, or not-single people) living in certain neighborhoods definitely don't need one, and in many neighborhoods, it's more of a hindrance than a help.

Though I really don't understand the logic that a single man needs a car more than anyone. Then again, I grew up in NYC--my mother schlepped me around on the subway and bus and on foot and in cabs, like the majority of parents did there. We all managed to survive. I've lived in several different Boston/Somerville/Cambridge neighbors without a car (so has my partner), yet I'm not a shut-in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 07:54 AM

1,080 posts, read 435,894 times
When I lived in E. Cambridge I paid to have my car registered there. I used it maybe 3 times a month. If zipcar was around then, i would have sold it.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:39 AM

3,268 posts, read 2,196,752 times
From a dating perspective it could be seen as a negative if a guy doesn't own a car.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:47 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,707,358 times
Quote:
From a dating perspective it could be seen as a negative if a guy doesn't own a car.
And yet many women are picky and choosy about what their potential date drives, ie. a 10 yr old Hyndai Accent won't cut it. A Schwinn bike will eliminate even more.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:49 AM

7,867 posts, read 6,819,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
And yet many women are picky and choosy about what their potential date drives, ie. a 10 yr old Hyndai Accent won't cut it. A Schwinn bike will eliminate even more.
Honestly, I think it's better to have no car than a crappy one.

I don't have a car. This hasn't really been an issue. Maybe for the super princessy girls. I wouldn't like them anyway though.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:55 AM

3,268 posts, read 2,196,752 times
Right a if something is really meant to be a car won't matter...but a car can make things easier especially in the beginning when a girl might have a few options etc.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:57 AM

5,680 posts, read 5,016,201 times
Quote:
Huh? Not when I was dating. Then again, I would have considered it more of a negative back then if a guy lived in the suburbs and *needed* to drive everywhere.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:10 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,356,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Men who are actively considering living without a car probably wouldn't mesh too well with the women who judge men by what they drive. This is actually a great signalling mechanism for everyone involved.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Honestly, I think it's better to have no car than a crappy one.

I don't have a car. This hasn't really been an issue. Maybe for the super princessy girls. I wouldn't like them anyway though.
Well realistically, the Boston area is inundated with those sort of women whose one of top 5 questions will be "so what does he drive"?

But it's not alway a shallow/materialistic thing. Some women just want the freedom in a relationship to be able to go for a drive, or go any place at any hour. Some see a guy not having a vehicle as not having their s#:; together. Or they might endlessly ponder "Why?"..."what did he lose his license?" etc. etc.

Also most people these days meet online, and tend to be more spread out than in the past. When I lived in Quincy I once dated a girl from the N Shore who had no car. Me being the one driving back and forth all the time got old. If I didn't drive myself, I couldn't imagine it happening at all.

Then of course there are others who don't care.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Huh? Not when I was dating. Then again, I would have considered it more of a negative back then if a guy lived in the suburbs and *needed* to drive everywhere.
Case in point, there is someone for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or