U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-25-2017, 10:24 AM
 
19 posts, read 10,795 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Another way to look at it: those high rents have priced out almost everyone who isn't a professional. Married people have, for the most part, moved out to the suburbs. I'd start near where you'll be working.
I work close to Braintree but I do not feel like living so far out of the city ... at least not yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-25-2017, 10:28 AM
 
32,733 posts, read 22,687,383 times
Reputation: 29787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas27 View Post
I work close to Braintree but I do not feel like living so far out of the city ... at least not yet.


Yeah, no on Braintree. You could probably get a nice place in Quincy for what you could spend though. Not my type of place, but its improved, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2017, 10:36 AM
 
19 posts, read 10,795 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yeah, no on Braintree. You could probably get a nice place in Quincy for what you could spend though. Not my type of place, but its improved, I guess.
Thanks for that. So basically everyone saying everywhere makes the decision a little complicated.

I have been in a Back Bay hotel for a while couple of months ago.

It seems like its better to go around some of these areas and see which feels better overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2017, 10:39 AM
 
Location: Westwood, MA
3,456 posts, read 4,354,768 times
Reputation: 4461
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
No shortage of married couples in the city. I know far more in the city than in suburbs, unless they decided to have some kids and they become school age. They double their renting power which helps drive up rates.
I phrased it the wrong way. Enough married people move to the suburbs that the city skews single. The suburbs have very few single people. Most of the single people live in the city. All the single people I know live in the dense parts of greater Boston. Some married couples I know do, too.

Just as an example:

For population 15 years and over in 02090 (my suburb):
Never married: 19.9%
Now married: 64.9%
Separated: 0.9%
Widowed: 8.0%
Divorced: 6.3%

For population 15 years and over in 02116 (Back Bay):
Never married: 51.8%
Now married: 38.6%
Separated: 1.2%
Widowed: 2.8%
Divorced: 5.5%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2017, 10:47 AM
 
32,733 posts, read 22,687,383 times
Reputation: 29787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas27 View Post
Thanks for that. So basically everyone saying everywhere makes the decision a little complicated.

I have been in a Back Bay hotel for a while couple of months ago.

It seems like its better to go around some of these areas and see which feels better overall.


It really depends on your vibe and what you're looking for. While all these areas can appeal to 30 something singles, the culture has a bit different vibe. JP and Somerville can be similar, but its a different nightlife from the North End, which is different from the Seaport, which is different from Quincy.


So yeah, check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2017, 10:53 AM
 
1,691 posts, read 3,213,438 times
Reputation: 1992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas27 View Post
I just looked up Black Bay but rents for a single bedroom are 2500 and up. It seems very steep compared to Houston where I rent a high end 950 sq ft apartment 1400 dollars in the middle of the town.

I do not know which is a good area for singles of my age in the town. Are there any areas popular for single professionals?
Popular areas for single professionals include Back Bay, Fenway-Kenmore, South End, North End and Seaport in Boston. Or anywhere around Kendall, Central, Harvard, Porter and Inman Squares in Cambridge and Davis Square Somerville. Other popular areas a bit cheaper include Brighton, Jamaica Plain, South Boston, closer-in redline stops in Dorchester, and Charlestown. These are all popular with younger singles and couples because they're walkable, T-accessible, and have local scenes as well as car-free access to other areas.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2017, 12:31 PM
 
19 posts, read 10,795 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I phrased it the wrong way. Enough married people move to the suburbs that the city skews single. The suburbs have very few single people. Most of the single people live in the city. All the single people I know live in the dense parts of greater Boston. Some married couples I know do, too.

Just as an example:

For population 15 years and over in 02090 (my suburb):
Never married: 19.9%
Now married: 64.9%
Separated: 0.9%
Widowed: 8.0%
Divorced: 6.3%

For population 15 years and over in 02116 (Back Bay):
Never married: 51.8%
Now married: 38.6%
Separated: 1.2%
Widowed: 2.8%
Divorced: 5.5%
Thanks for clarifying. Since I never had to look up these sort of statistics, I do not know how to compare these with good singles areas.

Since, BB has 51% never married population, could that be considered a pretty good singles area? Or does that number have to be over 70 or 80%?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2017, 12:34 PM
 
19 posts, read 10,795 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It really depends on your vibe and what you're looking for. While all these areas can appeal to 30 something singles, the culture has a bit different vibe. JP and Somerville can be similar, but its a different nightlife from the North End, which is different from the Seaport, which is different from Quincy.


So yeah, check it out.
I am looking for a area where I could go to simple dive bars 3-4 times a week, better if there is some live music and a diverse population. would any of the above mentioned areas fit this kind of description?

Not looking to hangout in places where I may have to wear a suit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2017, 12:42 PM
 
32,733 posts, read 22,687,383 times
Reputation: 29787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas27 View Post
I am looking for a area where I could go to simple dive bars 3-4 times a week, better if there is some live music and a diverse population. would any of the above mentioned areas fit this kind of description?

Not looking to hangout in places where I may have to wear a suit.


I'd say both JP and Somerville work great. JP would be better for the commute, and probably better diversity.


(I can't speak to Quincy, I have never had reason to spend time there).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2017, 03:28 PM
 
404 posts, read 157,720 times
Reputation: 228
I'm assuming you will be driving? Some places may come with parking and others not. I would look for the best value (price and amenities etc) in any of the neighborhoods previously listed. I would also look until what the options are for parking as these conveniences will impact your quality of life. If you go with Sommerville you are going to want to be around union square. I'd also add Fort Point, Cambridge, southie (not very diverse but some good dive bars) to places previously mentioned. Map the distance to work as there is a good amount of traffic in the area and this should also factor into your decision. Good thing is you'd be doing a reverse commute but probably would still get into some traffic. Dive bars are pretty easy to find in Boston. Even if you have a car would recommend looking to live near a t (subway) stop as this will improve your life outside of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top